When do you throw in the towel for this season?

BSK

It's been an unusual and rough season. I don't recall ever having to hunt this hard or this long to get it done. The fall shift was way late and lackluster, pre-rut didn't even happen, and rut was sporadic & short. Nothing I thought I knew about hunting seemed to apply this season. Humbling to say the least.
Every time I think I've "seen it all," Nature throws a curveball at me and I'm forced to learn something new the hard way. Been a VERY tough and unusual year for us. Just two bucks killed. That's very low.

bowhunterfanatic

Rut is still wide open in my area. I'll keep hunting as much as I can until the first of the year or so, then I'll cut back to only evenings when the time allows. I'll hunt dang near to the end of season killing some does whether I kill another buck or not. Hoping to get to shoot a couple more does with a bow before it's over.

moondawg

I'd throw in the towel usually in mid-late December, especially if I had a doe in the freezer. But if I hadn't killed a deer, I'd probably be hunting until the end. Can't hunt them from the couch, and it was a long off season for me as I only hunted the muzzleloader and gun seasons.

Ski

Every time I think I've "seen it all," Nature throws a curveball at me and I'm forced to learn something new the hard way. Been a VERY tough and unusual year for us. Just two bucks killed. That's very low.

Yessir I've learned that the only thing I truly know is that I really know nothing. And this season was an especially good reminder.

I averaged probably 4-5 hunts per week since season opened and in all those hunts I've laid eyes on two mature bucks, one in OH and one in TN. I've seen three 2-3yr olds and a small handful of spikes/forkies. By a season's end I usually have a fair guess on what the next season will bring. I'm pretty nervous. There was no conveyor of prospecting visitors that I normally see, nor the bulk of young up & comers. No idea what to make of it all.

Buzzard Breath

I hunted hard from the start of bow season through the second LBL draw hunt in mid Nov. I've got a full freezer and have moved on to squirrel hunting and fishing.

20221211_134742_04.jpg

Stalkhunter

My hobby is deer hunting, I hunt when I want and don't worry about anything else. I will take time off from it if I want. I would like to get 2 more but if it doesn't happen that's hunting.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

This is the 1st year I haven't killed a deer in at least 2 decades...towel is definitely in hand.
Same. I will be out of town the next 3 weekends, so no hunting for me. Possibly the last week of the season, IF I feel like it. More likely will be hiking and scouting - looking forward and planning for next season

JCDEERMAN

It's been an unusual and rough season. I don't recall ever having to hunt this hard or this long to get it done. The fall shift was way late and lackluster, pre-rut didn't even happen, and rut was sporadic & short. Nothing I thought I knew about hunting seemed to apply this season. Humbling to say the least.
🤣 Humbling - no kidding! This year definitely showed me the law of averages. Last year, just about every time I went in the woods, I saw great bucks and had multiple opportunities. Limited out and passed multiple bucks I would have normally shot. This year, I can't get a picture of one

BSK

🤣 Humbling - no kidding! This year definitely showed me the law of averages. Last year, just about every time I went in the woods, I saw great bucks and had multiple opportunities. Limited out and passed multiple bucks I would have normally shot. This year, I can't get a picture of one
The lack of mature bucks using my property has been shocking. Worse yet, of the older bucks we are getting on camera, not a one would break 120.

JCDEERMAN

The lack of mature bucks using my property has been shocking. Worse yet, of the older bucks we are getting on camera, not a one would break 120.
Definitely a year on the low end of the spectrum. We've had 2 frequent flyer mature bucks this season. One broke off half his rack and the other is an impressive deer, but won't score maybe 110-115". Many, many spikes and very small racked deer. I'm hoping for a great acorn crop, as well as great crop growing conditions next year. Hopefully, bucks will show up late October that haven't, at that timeframe, been seen in a year or possibly 2 years. At any rate, just hoping it's back to normal

medic

When I tag out or it is the last day of the season. Hunting never gets old to me. I'll take a morning or evening sitting in a stand watching nature and the sunrise or set any day whether or not I see or kill a deer. With the craziness at work and other life issues it is where I find my peace.

Wiley

I've hunted less this season than ever in my life during the years that I actually hunted. I hunted opening morning and opening evening. That's all. The decent 9 pointer that I took that evening will be the only TN buck that I kill this season. And I feel completely satisfied. Old age setting in and I'm far more selective than ever before.
I may hunt my property in AL and kill whatever for the freezer.

tellico4x4

For me this year I hope the best is yet to come. Our big bucks are finally on their feet during daylight.
Yesterday morning I had to pass on what would have been my personal best whitetail in 52 years of hunting them. Came by at 8:30, 15 yards in thinned pines, trailing hard. Doe must have come thru before daylight as I never saw her. He actually got directly down wind at 30 yards, threw his head up, reversed direction & put his nose back on ground & spent another two minutes searching within 100 yards.
Couldn't shoot him as I'm waiting on cementum results on a 10pt I shot a couple weeks ago, hopefully get it back Monday. Our management rule is that a buck has to meet 2 out of 4 criteria items which are 19-1/2" beam length, 4-1/2" bases, 16" inside spread or 175# live weight. If buck misses these marks then it's a two for one and your done for year.
I missed the weight by 2.7# & base by 1/4". Knew buck was narrow & tall with plenty of beam but misjudged the others. We have option of getting teeth tested for age & if it's 4-1/2+, then all is good. 95% sure he'll make it as I've had lots pics past two years.
All that said, I hope to be back buck hunting next week. Still have grandsons looking for buck too so we'll be after them until the bitter end.

JeepKuntry

I've killed 2 so my season is probably over. I am already thinking of 2023, places to scout, you name it. But the freezer has plenty for the family and I need to spend time with my kids over the Christmas break. I get them this weekend, then again on Christmas day for 9 days straight.

348Winchester

Hunting season is but part of the year. I'll make hay whilst it can be made.

It has been a strange season. I've hunted every day but two since muzzle loader opened. 82 deer sightings thusfar, eight of those have been bucks. 2 of those bucks have been nice, one mediocre, and the rest were spikes.

On the northern plateau, December hunting is slow but there is always the chance a nice buck will appear. Hunting is always better than work.

Latest posts