When do you throw in the towel for this season?

mike243

We use to have a 1 buck limit in this end of the state and no doe, season ended real early years ago and wife was happy, went to 3 bucks and the famous words of I hate deer season lol, after almost 38 years she has quit saying it lol. the older I get the less drive I have to kill them, don't get me wrong I will layem down but the season is long and I have had years I didn't shoot nothing, all part of it. If and when CWD gets here I probably will never shoot another 1, small game and fishing and honey do's in between

Omega

Prioritize what you want to do, I find that I usually can make room for most I want to accomplish for the season, this time I am looking for one more for a friend, and possibly one more for myself but not locked in to doing so. if I can get out I will, otherwise there is always next season.

Jim Fred

I have actually begun to enjoy hunting later in the season more than ever, mainly I think just because it seems to be more cold outside. It's just hard for me to justify the work it takes to "have to" quickly process a deer in the warmer weather.

philsanchez76

Id say the second you don't enjoy being out there, take a break for a week or so. Ive definitely been burnt out before and thought Id probably end the season early. I'd take week or so off and get a bunch of other stuff done and then all of a sudden, id get the hankering to get back out there. I just don't like the finality of saying the whole season is done. Just take it week by week.

UCStandSitter

As much as I really don't want to be, I am probably on pause until the week post Christmas. That sounds worse than I meant it. The pause is exactly what I want. We are always really busy with family Christmas obligations and there is no place I'd rather be than spending time with my girls. I just wish I had another week I could wedge in before Christmas.

Lost Lake

If I'm not in the mood to go, I stay home. Kind of simple, but so am I.

I'm done on bucks, but a couple of friends keep pulling me to the woods to help put them on deer. Whenever I think about not going, which has been quite a lot this year, I try to remember how long it is until next Fall. I might take a doe or two for a friend to keep it interesting.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Jan 31 is when I'll hang it up for this season. I may not go every chance I get, but I will get out when I can and other obligations allow.

ZachMarkus

December is when I usually kill my best bucks. I'm grinding it out till the last day. I should already be done but I screwed that up. Deer hunting for me is a year around thing. If I'm not hunting I'm scouting, prepping, planting, trying to secure permission on new places, running trail cams, etc..

Last edited:

shelbydeer

I usually hang it up after the rut however if I seeing mature deer moving I will get out. Our biggest deer on the farm was killed on the last day of the season in a food plot several years ago.

JN

I have spent all year waiting to deer hunt. I am riding it out to the last weekend if I can. Then once season is over I am already thinking of next season and things I would do different. The last few years family and having kids has reduced my time in the woods quite a bit but I know my time is limited with them and once they are older I may have more time to hunt but not with them.

deerhunter10

Got a tag left. Will be after them not as hard. Kind of cut out mornings pretty much. Love morning hunts so won't cut them completely. But I will say our standarded is decently high through the season it gets very high now. With season so close to ending it'll take a giant I have no idea about which is very possible. Or just a hand full of deer I'd shoot. Our biggest scoring deer is off the hitlist he has a shot to do something special and we will do our best to try to get him there.

Latest posts