RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Re: What's your

cbhunter":2j7pkyop said:
duckduck84":2j7pkyop said:
RUGER":2j7pkyop said:
180+ buck at 75 yards in KY.
.300 win mag.
Nothing but air and opportunity between us.
I thought he was 50 yards past the property line.
Turned out he was on the property I had permission to hunt by 25 yards.
That pretty much took my fire.
Haven't really deer hunted since.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
That tells me more about your character than I think I know about some of my friends. I don't know that I would have even been thinking about the property line at that distance with that kind of buck.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
that does say a lot about Ole Ruger. He is a goodun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will admit, it sucked and in the dark recesses of my being I wish I had shot him. :(
My son was sitting beside me whispering stuff like, o.m.g. DAD I knew you said he was big but I didn't know he was THAT big!
Shoot him Dad, shoot him!
Shoot him Dad, we can go get him.
O.M.G. he is huge!

It is actually a pretty cool story too.
All up to the point where I had to watch him walk off. :bash:

I literally teared up a little when I found out I could have shot him legally and ethically too.

rem270

RUGER":1kzp4d0j said:
cbhunter":1kzp4d0j said:
I will admit, it sucked and in the dark recesses of my being I wish I had shot him. :(
My son was sitting beside me whispering stuff like, o.m.g. DAD I knew you said he was big but I didn't know he was THAT big!
O.M.G. he is huge!

I literally teared up a little when I found out I could have shot him legally and ethically too.

Had a chance about a 150"+ deer 8 or 9 years ago. Moved stands at noon and hadn't been there 5 minutes when I seen a huge buck dogging a doe across the property line. Where I was hunting was in the woods and could shoot a CRP field of mine. In front of me 60 yards was a creek and that was the property line. He was in a long narrow cut corn field with a small tree line between him and i. I called my dad and told him I had a few spots to shoot and I had already talked myself out of it but he sealed the deal of not doing it. Had a chance at 75 yards and then another at 100 or so. At one time he chased the doe onto my side and got to within 60 just across the creek but was in a bunch of thick stuff.

I was pretty sick over it but not too messed up about it because I knew for sure it was across the line. Weekend after I killed my biggest to date at the time.

Stuff like that will for sure test your character. Every deer I have on the wall I can look at it and relive that day like it was yesterday. Not sure I'd have the same good feeling like I do when I looked at one I know I didn't kill the right way.

cbhunter

Re: What's your "I blew it" story?

rem270":3evg9zqh said:
RUGER":3evg9zqh said:
cbhunter":3evg9zqh said:
O.M.G. he is huge!

Had a chance about a 150"+ deer 8 or 9 years ago. Moved stands at noon and hadn't been there 5 minutes when I seen a huge buck dogging a doe across the property line. Where I was hunting was in the woods and could shoot a CRP field of mine. In front of me 60 yards was a creek and that was the property line. He was in a long narrow cut corn field with a small tree line between him and i. I called my dad and told him I had a few spots to shoot and I had already talked myself out of it but he sealed the deal of not doing it. Had a chance at 75 yards and then another at 100 or so. At one time he chased the doe onto my side and got to within 60 just across the creek but was in a bunch of thick stuff.

I was pretty sick over it but not too messed up about it because I knew for sure it was across the line. Weekend after I killed my biggest to date at the time.

Stuff like that will for sure test your character. Every deer I have on the wall I can look at it and relive that day like it was yesterday. Not sure I'd have the same good feeling like I do when I looked at one I know I didn't kill the right way.
yea I guess your alright too Dustin lol ;)

rem270

cbhunter":3501qt8f said:
rem270":3501qt8f said:
RUGER":3501qt8f said:

yea I guess your alright too Dustin lol ;)

Don't go too far. That was only a 150" deer and not a 180 like RUGER's :D... JK calls like that are really tough on a man!

knightrider

rem270":2q5jlnw8 said:
same reason I didn't shoot last Saturday, no way im killing my biggest buck sitting in the truck seat, no joy in that lol

rem270

knightrider":um4sv706 said:
rem270":um4sv706 said:
same reason I didn't shoot last Saturday, no way im killing my biggest buck sitting in the truck seat, no joy in that lol

You have no valid argument on this subject so don't try to persuade me. You should've shot :D :D

knightrider

rem270":2hkltfrr said:
knightrider":2hkltfrr said:
rem270":2hkltfrr said:

You have no valid argument on this subject so don't try to persuade me. You should've shot :D :D
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

muddyboots

Been 25 years ago. Bow hunting late in the morning. Prolly 11 am. Just one of those October days that feels great. It had rained all night and quit before daylight. Woods were silent. I heard a twig snap to my left and there stands 3 8 points 15 yards away. 120 inch bucks. It was unheard of to see bucks like that back then. I couldn't move and they walked out of sight. I was like where did they come from. Looked up the Hollar and here he comes. Big 10. Dwarfed those other 3. He scores 141. He got killed later in the year. Anyway I have plenty and ready. Perfect broadside 20yard pin on him and it goes maybe 1/4 inch under him. He bounds a little and I nick another arrow. 30 yard pin and it shoots maybe 1/4 inch over him. He walks off. Still bothers me. Lol

cbhunter

I guess it was the last year I could hunt as a juvy. Judge me if you want but I was a litttle hellyun at that age...... Dad was out of town and I knew my brother in law was gonna take me so I might have had a few drinks the night before....... scratch that...... I got drunk the night before. We were separate climbing stands 10 yds apart. I think I dozed off shortly after climbing the tree. When I woke up he explained to me that two NICE 8 pts has come right by us. I figured he was messing with me but no, he had video proof since he was planning to film my hunt. They weren't giants but for my age they were very respectable and way bigger than anything I had ever killed. Other than that, I can hinestly say I have been fortunate enough to close the deal in all the biggest bucks I have ever seen. Other than the ones during bow season that were simply out of range. KNOCK ON WOOD

TN Larry

LBL 2003

This was the first day of a muzzleloader quota hunt. We had hunted the morning a long ways back, saw a few deer, and decided to hunt somewhere closer to the truck that afternoon as it was supposed to rain. We decided to drive down a small back road where our buddy had found a lot of sign and pick a spot fairly close to where he was hunting. There was a big cut corn field on one side and little hollows leading to the road on the other. My cousin yells to stop as we're driving down it looking around, jumps out to look at a rub 20 yards from the road in a little drain, jumps back in the truck and says I'm hunting right here. I decided to go about 200 yards back up the road to another drain and climb a tree close to the road as it was probably about to start raining. When I got there, I just decided to sit on the ground which was mistake number one. It was a pretty good looking spot, and I was thinking that the deer might filter down the drain headed towards the field before dark which was mistake number 2. I hadn't been there long when here comes a buck after a doe. They had came probably 200 yards across the cut corn field, across the road,up the hill beside me, and over the ridge. I sat there for a second in disbelief and decided to jump up and ease to the top and look over to see what I could see. I jumped up without looking at there back trail which was mistake number 3, made about two steps, and here comes the biggest buck that I had ever seen bringing up the rear. He still had no clue I was there. I am not sure how big but somewhere between a 125" - 150" deer and bigger than anything I had ever killed at the time. He hit an opening about 75 yards even though it was still pretty thick, I grunted to stop him, and took what should have been a good shot even though it was off handed. He disappeared over the ridge, and to this day, I don't know what happened. The cross hairs were on him, the gun was on, but we never found a spec of blood or the deer. I still to this day don't know what happened. I nearly had to have hit a limb that I didn't see. If I would have just got in a tree that afternoon, I would have had a much better shot and taking rest. We did hear that there was around a 140 or so inch deer killed in that same area on the next quota hunt which was probably him. There are others but that one stings the most.

Snake

Few years back I was hunting here at the plant in a stand I usually see the deer come in from the west or westerly so I approach this stand from the east . Sitting there waiting on the on daylight and then just enjoying the sun up just relaxing I notice movement from my left . There he was big as life not more than 10 yards from me , came in the exact same way I did . I slowly reached for my bow and the buck just turned and looked up at me so I froze knowing he would spook if I moved any more . After what seemed an eternity he just turned and started walking away from me straight to my left not spooked but surely aware of something that wasn't right . I came to full draw with the buck still in range not more than 15 yards away but walking dead straight away from me ... no shot !! I tried to bah at him then got my grunt tube and tried to grunt but this dude was having no part of this , man if only I had been ready . I had a shot but not an ethical one so I let him mosey on hoping for a later date but never saw him again . Couple others here at the plant saw him again and fellow said he thought he had been hit by a truck later that year . This buck was a big a buck I have ever seen around here and I had him at no more than 10 yards , oh my the heart ache .This buck had to be pushing 140 ' a perfect 10 point and a healthy one to boot .

diggerak

Last yr weekend after Thanksgiving. Sitting in a thicket looking for a doe no buck tag. Out of thin air there is a 160+ 14 pt typical buck at 25 yds. He moseyed pass me at 5-6 ft from base of tree turns works a scrape checks a rub and walks away

Urban_Hunter

Mine haunts me daily. Farm we have hunted since long before I was born. Always been small deer both body's and racks, but high numbers. During the greatest years, about 10 years ago, it was not uncommon to have a deer within sight all day, seeing 20-30 in a single sit. Bow opener we were running late which I DO NOT and HAVE NOT done. Sky was turning blue as I was dang near running up the hill with my climber on my back. As I get to within 30 yards of my tree I stop because there are deer already crossing the fence heading my way. I sit down behind my climber and knock an arrow. They start filtering through when out of NOWHERE "Big Brownie" comes into view. What looks like a horse compared to all the other deer with a mainframe 12 with some additional stuff going on, probably a 17-20pt dark chocolate rack. Absolute monster of which I've never seen anything like again. He walked directly under my tree as I had deer completely surrounding me including 3 does within 10ft. I tried to draw but when the does ran he froze behind a tree. He ended up turning 90 degrees and never presented a shot. I told my cousin and we hunted him hard core and saw him two more times during bow season to never be seen again. I honestly believe he was a 160" deer. In over 30 years of hunting that farm the next biggest buck ever seen was killed and measured 119"

Jon54

I used to have access to a 25,000 acre ranch in Texas. I would go for one week each November around the 15th. I had access the the 5000 acres in the heart of the ranch but the remainder was leased out. I got along great with the ranch manager because I followed his rules to the T.

We had just pulled into the ranch headed to the lodge when a 150+ 10 point crosses the dirt road in front of the truck. He wasn't in any hurry so I stopped, pulled my rifle out and loaded it, all the while he was 20 yards staring at me knowing he was on leased land and I didn't have permission to hunt that part.

I watched him with my crosshairs on his vitals for 2-3 minutes and I knew I'd be castrated if I shot him. Finally he turned and slowly walked away laughing at me.

I get to the lodge and hear the phone ringing. It was the ranch mgr checking on me. I told him of my encounter with the biggest deer I'd ever seen. He asked me where I saw him. When I told him it was on the leased land, he asked why I didn't shoot him. This deer would have been on the cover of Buckmasters. 20 yards, broadside in the setting sun. That image will be with me for the rest of my life...

cbhunter

AlabamaSwamper":3q56fa28 said:
I'm not going to relive it

Missed a 175" ish 10 in Nebraska this year. Least I got the trail cam pics to remember him by
no need to relive it, but PLEASE DO share the pic!?!?

GRIT

This was my 37th year of deer hunting i have some great memory's and some not so great.But most if not all of my best memory's did not involve a big deer.Way to many i blew it's to tell

Hollar Hunter

cbhunter":2tlbrljn said:
AlabamaSwamper":2tlbrljn said:
I'm not going to relive it

Missed a 175" ish 10 in Nebraska this year. Least I got the trail cam pics to remember him by
no need to relive it, but PLEASE DO share the pic!?!?

CB seeing the pic is a 1000x worse then telling the story believe me! :bash:

Hollar Hunter

:bash: :bash: :bash:

Attachments

• 25E4F076-91A4-48D7-A238-1083FE9054F3.png
    25E4F076-91A4-48D7-A238-1083FE9054F3.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,704
  • 874B9C32-1167-4EE0-A594-C0C21BC3A3C6.png
    874B9C32-1167-4EE0-A594-C0C21BC3A3C6.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,704

Latest posts