What's your "I blew it" story?

Mudbone

Way too many to list. Heck, I could write a novel about this seasons screw ups. Have a lot from years past.
One that really sticks out in my mind is when Hollar Hunter and I had an unbelievable morning with both of us seeing numerous large deer.
While we sat there talking about our morning, we hear antlers crashing. HH was out of arrows. I had one maybe two left.
We looked up and within fifty yards of us two 150" maybe better bucks were flat trying to kill each other. He told me run up and shoot!! I didn't know that deer that are fighting are oblivious to everything around them and I snuck up slooowllly.
I looked back at Hollar Hunter and he had this look on his face like "go dumbass""!!
By the time I got close the bigger of the two was chasing the loser off. Felt like a real dumb butt.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Hunted all morning and shot 2 does. I stayed on the stand hoping to get another doe and a Buck. Got down went to check on the 1st doe and jumped another doe. Went to check on the 2nd doe and was ready . I jumped a nice buck that was way too fast for a clean shot. Just wanted to sit down and cry.

Hunter 257W

One cold morning of November 2013 I saw a decent buck about 100 yards away in my woods that was walking with his head to the ground obviously "on a mission". I decided to try calling him. A cuple of nice grunts and to my surprise he didn't just look my way and pause like normal, but he spun around and came trotting like a hungry dog. I'll admit that shook me up. I was in a ground blind though so felt fairly confident that I could get a shot without being detected. He made an arcing path towards me and went out of my sight for a moment then popped back into view at only 34 yards looking directly into the blind. He stood there absolutely frozen, I already had my rifle aimed and even had a stick to steady it. This deer was mine and I was already thinking about the taxidermy cost... Well, I pulled the shot so badly that it was disgraceful. As the shot rang out I saw the crosshair go completely off his chest to the right. He looked shocked for an instant then I'll never forget how much he looked like the Lone Ranger's horse as he rose up on his rear legs, spun around and took off. I got up and looked for blood more out of a sense of desperate hope than any realistic expectation that I'd hit the deer. I got a picture of him shortly after deer season ended not more than 150 yards from that very spot. :)

cbhunter

hunter0925":18e1krwy said:
Just this weekend I missed a 160 class Ohio bruiser. 15 scoreable points with stickers and splits and kickers off the bases. I shot in front of him when he stopped because I never quit following through, then got reloaded and shot over him. I'm sick. The bad part is I have trail cam pics of him and my misses are on video.

Post pics please!

hunter0925

cbhunter":1jpc8bia said:
hunter0925":1jpc8bia said:
Just this weekend I missed a 160 class Ohio bruiser. 15 scoreable points with stickers and splits and kickers off the bases. I shot in front of him when he stopped because I never quit following through, then got reloaded and shot over him. I'm sick. The bad part is I have trail cam pics of him and my misses are on video.

Post pics please!

This is sad. Lol

Fisherofmen

It was about 2013 or so I can't remember the year I would have to review some trail camera pictures, I was off work with a best friend hunting the whole week. We had all kinds of pictures and had been saving the spot for rifle season. Me and my buddy both wanted to hunt the same spot it was a new location in the area that had fresh sign. We decided to both hunt it and split the shooting lanes and to be honest just hang out together on the first day of the week (just sitting on the ground). Later in the day we walked out he went towards his normal spot and I went towards mine. We both had trail cameras at our empty stands overlooking mock scrapes where we had received our seasons pictures. When I checked mine I almost passed out. At 830 am a deer was on my camera that was larger than anyone I have ever killed and one we had not seen before. I have watched that 30 second clip many times since. That's all I ever got of him. Never saw him in person. He was a bowshot from my stand as he stood at my camera. If I knew how I would attach the video....I'm guessing 150 to 170...perfect 10pt. He was also on my buddies camera the day before.

cbhunter

hunter0925":19yfvp2j said:
cbhunter":19yfvp2j said:
hunter0925":19yfvp2j said:

Post pics please!

This is sad. Lol

Great deer, I have to agree, that sucks!! lol, hope you get him next year when he is bigger and better!

cbhunter

Fisherofmen":1n0rb8jh said:
It was about 2013 or so I can't remember the year I would have to review some trail camera pictures, I was off work with a best friend hunting the whole week. We had all kinds of pictures and had been saving the spot for rifle season. Me and my buddy both wanted to hunt the same spot it was a new location in the area that had fresh sign. We decided to both hunt it and split the shooting lanes and to be honest just hang out together on the first day of the week (just sitting on the ground). Later in the day we walked out he went towards his normal spot and I went towards mine. We both had trail cameras at our empty stands overlooking mock scrapes where we had received our seasons pictures. When I checked mine I almost passed out. At 830 am a deer was on my camera that was larger than anyone I have ever killed and one we had not seen before. I have watched that 30 second clip many times since. That's all I ever got of him. Never saw him in person. He was a bowshot from my stand as he stood at my camera. If I knew how I would attach the video....I'm guessing 150 to 170...perfect 10pt. He was also on my buddies camera the day before.

Someone tell this man how to post a video!! lol, wish I could help

rem270

I just remembered another one. It was probably 2002 or 2003. Was bow hunting the little 20+ acre spot behind where I grew up. Right at daylight I had some deer come out of the woods about 150 yards in front of me. Didn't have binoculars but could see good antlers on one of them. They quickly made it from 150 to 20 yards and one was a really good 8 point. I sucked at bow hunting then and still do and didn't take steady aim good enough and missed way low. He jumped and moved to about 40 yards and kept feeding. My cousin killed him later in the season with a rifle and he might go 110" but at the time was really big to me.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Re: What's your "I blew it" story?

180+ buck at 75 yards in KY.
.300 win mag.
Nothing but air and opportunity between us.
I thought he was 50 yards past the property line.
Turned out he was on the property I had permission to hunt by 25 yards.
That pretty much took my fire.
Haven't really deer hunted since.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

larry ipock

1999 MZL opening morning. Coal Hill, noon, I wasn't paying attention. BIGGEST ONE EVER. Standing still broadside, 15 to 20 yds. Missed, he bounds up the hill, stops,(40 yds. now, still broadside), looks at me until I get reloaded and fumbling for a cap, casually walks away. I had seen him twice during bow season, but no shot.
I shot a squirrel with my pistol the day before, go figure. I've blown a lot of opportunities, but he is the one that haunts me the most. was my

slinger

In 2002 I missed a 75 yard chip shot on a bedded muley in Northeast Montana that will haunt me forever. I jogged in a half a mile to get to him & was out of breath when I shot. I should have taken the time to calm down & catch my breath for a minute. He wasn't going anywhere.

Fisherofmen

cbhunter":2h8dfkgr said:
Fisherofmen":2h8dfkgr said:

If nothing else I will try to pause the video and take a picture of the screen to share the buck with you all. I'm sure that he's probably died by now if not by old age then from EHD , but I have never even found his sheds or skull.

Fisherofmen

Someone tell this man how to post a video!! lol, wish I could help[/quote]

If nothing else I will try to pause the video and take a picture of the screen to share the buck with you all. I'm sure that he's probably died by now if not by old age then from EHD , but I have never even found his sheds or skull.
Ok hopefully this works...

Attachments

• 15157256302741740446313.jpg
    15157256302741740446313.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 795

duckduck84

RUGER":3sr7ndx7 said:
.300 win mag.

That tells me more about your character than I think I know about some of my friends. I don't know that I would have even been thinking about the property line at that distance with that kind of buck.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

cbhunter

Fisherofmen":hpmcwqq8 said:

Ok hopefully this works...[/quote]

Yea that would sting! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbhunter

duckduck84":35qxtf8e said:
RUGER":35qxtf8e said:
.300 win mag.

That tells me more about your character than I think I know about some of my friends. I don't know that I would have even been thinking about the property line at that distance with that kind of buck.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
that does say a lot about Ole Ruger. He is a goodun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts