What's the chance?

tellico4x4

of 50/50 split of pics being buck & doe? Recently discovered the Statistics section of my Tatacam account. Have had 3 cams setup on traditional scrapes adjacent to bedding areas, and they are pretty well dispersed across 3500 acres. Just completed identifying buck & doe pics for the period of Nov 1 thru today Jan 20. 1346 pics came out exactly 673 each!

Screenshot_20240120-110734.png

backyardtndeer

If the identification software is similar to the stealth cam software, you can count on more of those actually being bucks. The software is cool, but really isn't quite there yet. A good portion of the young bucks we get pics of are tagged as does.

tellico4x4

If the identification software is similar to the stealth cam software, you can count on more of those actually being bucks. The software is cool, but really isn't quite there yet. A good portion of the young bucks we get pics of are tagged as does.
The software doesn't automatically tag, I had to go thru individually and do myself. If I couldn't positively identify what it was I deleted the pic.

backyardtndeer

The software doesn't automatically tag, I had to go thru individually and do myself. If I couldn't positively identify what it was I deleted the pic.
The software for the stealth cam automatically tags/IDs animals and it does id buck or doe, but like I said, on little bucks it is often wrong. It also will id partial deer as does.

Still helpful data for sure.

BSK

For some strange reason, it always freaks me out when numbers fall on a perfect hundreds number, or exactly the same number as something previous. My instant reaction is that I counted something wrong.

JCDEERMAN

I just got 2 Tactacam SK's for Christmas. Can't wait to get them deployed and play around with this stuff. Probably won't utilize the data plans maybe 6 months out of the year - March-may for turkeys and October-December for deer

BSK

Not to get too far off topic, but something to think about and keep track of Tellico4x4:

I keep records on "what a camera is pointed it" and then compare data between major categories. Doing this can illuminate just how "powerful" what a camera is point at can be. Here's some data from this year:

Camera pointed into food plot
bucks 1,693
does 2,697
fawns 1,264
adult sex ratio (does/buck) 1.6
fawn recruitment 46.9%

Cameras point at isolated scrape in the woods
bucks 567
does 232
fawns 111
adult sex ratio (does/buck) 0.4
fawn recruitment 47.8%

Cameras point at scrape in old road/trail
bucks 776
does 327
fawns 155
adult sex ratio (does/buck) 0.4
fawn recruitment 47.4%

Cameras point at scrape on edge of food plot
bucks 1,149
does 711
fawns 346
adult sex ratio (does/buck) 0.6
fawn recruitment 45.3%

Notice the huge difference between adult sex ratio for cameras pointed in food plots versus any of the scrape set-ups. I still use all of the data for calculating my adult sex ratio, but I also track each of these categories separately. Sometimes, one changes from year to year dramatically, while others don't. Just interseting to keep track of and can be an eye-opener about sex ratios. However, what really freaks me out is how close all of the fawn recruitment numbers are between categories. THAT never happens. Until this year! 🤔

BSK

Soooo, do you total all those numbers across locations or average them for final numbers?

What about observation data as well?
Yes, I total them all up and get an over-all property sex ratio. Is it accurate? Who knows. But as long as the cameras are set-up consistently (about the same percentage pointed at the same things each year), the trend will be accurate.

BSK

What about observation data as well?
I do each separately. Camera data and observation data. However, observation data is a much smaller data set and limited to specific times of the day and dates. Cameras run 24/7 for months on end and the data will be much better. In fact, I often point out how observation data for a year is completely opposite of the camera data, but if you do each as statistical means, they smooth and look similar.

Latest posts