I blew it - long -Found Him !

74MOPAR

Well I don't really know what happened. Bad as I hate to tell it here goes . Besides breaking my rule about archery hunting sunday evening when I work on Monday.
The buck I was hoping for showed up with plenty of light left. He moved through and never got a shot, few minutes later he came back out moving right to left and had an opening for 30 yard shot. I had a good rest for the crossbow and everything felt good. After the shot he wheeled around and took off like a bullet. Got down after a few minutes and checked the bolt and thought it was good news. Blood and lost 2 fletching . It had passed through and bounced back up and hit a tree. Went back to the house and gave him probably 45 minutes. We started right where he was standing to look for blood . 2,5 hours grid searching and not a single drop found . I am wore out and at a complete loss. I don't know how the bolt went through and never saw any blood anywhere. Maybe low and non lethal? 🤦🏻‍♂️
IMG_6645.jpeg
IMG_6649.png

Last edited:

philsanchez76

That's so rough. I definitely have been there too so you're not alone. Did he drop during the shot you think? I've hit a few deer high that have been non lethal shots. When it goes though the muscle there's basically no bleeding at all. Are you able to get someone to help look tomorrow?

74MOPAR

That's so rough. I definitely have been there too so you're not alone. Did he drop during the shot you think? I've hit a few deer high that have been non lethal shots. When it goes though the muscle there's basically no bleeding at all. Are you able to get someone to help look tomorrow?
He was pretty calm and didn't really drop, I'm going to look again tomorrow. But not finding anything the way we searched with good lights I don't really have great expectations.

fairchaser

Hang in there. Things always look much different in the light of a new day. You did nothing wrong. It's just woods whammies and sun spots. Bucks are tough animals and they can cover a lot of ground very fast. It's the lowest feeling you can have coupled with the highest high. It really sucks.

kaizen leader

Well I don't really know what happened. Bad as I hate to tell it here goes . Besides breaking my rule about archery hunting sunday evening when I work on Monday.
The buck I was hoping for showed up with plenty of light left. He moved through and never got a shot, few minutes later he came back out moving right to left and had an opening for 30 yard shot. I had a good rest for the crossbow and everything felt good. After the shot he wheeled around and took off like a bullet. Got down after a few minutes and checked the bolt and thought it was good news. Blood and lost 2 fletching . It had passed through and bounced back up and hit a tree. Went back to the house and gave him probably 45 minutes. We started right where he was standing to look for blood . 2,5 hours grid searching and not a single drop found . I am wore out and at a complete loss. I don't know how the bolt went through and never saw any blood anywhere. Maybe low and non lethal? 🤦🏻‍♂️View attachment 198340View attachment 198341
That is tough. Good luck.

Latest posts