Wish him luck!

Pilchard

Friday night marked the beginning of my favorite week of the year. My Grandfather arrived from Alabama and I drove an hour east of home to get to our Air B&B for the week.

Saturday morning arrived with decent weather. I put him in a great spot but he only saw a doe and a fawn. I saw 5 coyotes but could only kill one of them around 9am. At 10 I got bored and tried rattling. Shortly after calling I had a decent deer sneak in from behind me and I shot him left handed at 35 yds.
IMG_6445.jpeg
IMG_6446.jpeg

IMG_6446.jpeg

I couldn't hunt Saturday evening because of a prior commitment and his phone died so he climbed down at prime time because he was afraid he couldn't call for help.

Sunday morning we got settled in and mid morning I heard his gun go off. I couldn't handle the suspense and climbed down after shooting another coyote. It turns out he missed a big 8 pointer.

IMG_6457.jpeg

Sunday evening evening was not great. He saw a nice buck at 200yds and I saw a doe and killed a 3rd yote.

IMG_6459.jpeg

Monday morning came and I heard his gun go off twice around 7am. He had shot a small 8pt in the neck and had to put a finishing shot on the deer. Success!

72098443342__49F08F58-8432-4702-92B4-E21AFF3FD135.jpeg

Today brought many deer sightings including 4 mature bucks between the hunters at the farm but no shots were fired.

At dinner tonight my granddad said he thinks tomorrow morning will be the last time he climbs in a ladder stand. He's getting too old and said next year he would return to be the camp chef.

So tomorrow morning he's sitting in a stand that had a very big deer in front of it this morning. I plan to hunt just a short distance away but will be out of the action. I just want to be close enough to hear his gun go boom for the last time.

So, if you don't mind, wish my Grandpa, Jack good luck tomorrow morning!

Current kill tally:

- 3 yotes
- 2 bucks
- a bottle of bourbon
- a pot of chili

More tomorrow…

Gravey

I know you are but take it all in and relish the time with him. The grandfather I grew up deer hunting with died in 2005 at 85 years old. He bought a camper when he retired in 80 or 81 that ended up being our hunting camp. My uncle then kept it and used it and when he got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 8 years ago I went and picked it up on a flatbed. Today it sits on our lease and every time I'm there I'm reminded of just how great my Pap was then and even more so in my mind today. Good luck Grandpa Jack!!! I'm rooting for you!!!

rem270

Y'all had a great weekend. Congrats on the kills and great time y'all had. I never went hunting with my grandad but he was always one of the first ones to see what I got and wanted to hear the stories every time.

Good luck to Jack tomorrow! I'll be waiting for an update.

PalsPal

Well, a shot has been made by Jack, and the buck left at full tilt with his tail down. They are giving it a little time to look.

Prayers for a successful recovery, as this may be the last one he shoots at according to what he has told Adam about future plans.

Here we go again. I'll be checking this thread all day.

Hope they find him!

At dinner tonight my granddad said he thinks tomorrow morning will be the last time he climbs in a ladder stand. He's getting too old and said next year he would return to camp chef.

I get not wanting to climb a stand, but talk him in to hunting from the ground. Be a whole other kind of deer hunting.

Latest posts