Whats he score?.... update

Lincoln Co Archer

Congrats Mega! I was thinking his mass measurements from the trail cam pic had to lead to more inches and length but just couldn't make myself say it. Absolute beast of a buck!

tn24

Looks like being fooled isn't always a bad thing. Congratulations

stonegraham

I allow everyone to kill 1 buck of choice, you pick it... a second buck if I determine it is a cull (4.5yo and less than 120). If you shoot your buck of choice and kill what you think is a cull for your second and it isn't less than 120in or less than 4.5, you forfiet your tags for the following year. I had passed this pic to my guests along with the other culls for the year.

I had guessed this buck was 115in... man was I wrong...

He came out for me yest eve, and I realized his body was way bigger than I had previously thought. Shot him, then got to him a few minutes later. This deer was HUGE, making his rack look small in proportion... I couldn't even load him, had to call for help. Pulled him up on the scales, and he was 225lbs live, but I had maxed out the elevation on my hoist and his face was still resting on the ground, so prob 230 to 235lbs.

Biggest body of any deer I've killed. Most massive of any TN buck I've killed. He is 5.5, 133in total...

18 inside, 21in beams, 5.75in H1s, and mass carries way out. Short tines (3in brows, 6in g2s and 8in g3s) kept him from being in the 140s.

I'm really thrilled with him, but he ended up being too big to be a cull, so I've lost my buck of choice for the rest of the year. Good buck use that tag on!
whaooo what a nice buck, congrat

rukiddin

Great deer!!
I hate the term "cull". If he's a mature, buck, then your hunting what's between his ears and not what's on his head.
no bashing whatsoever. I actually really like your management plan. It's just that pesky word "cull", that is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Deck78

That sounds like the basis of a good management plan. I have been struggling on how to implement a better plan at our farm. We are struggling to run a determinate trail cam census based upon our acreage and topo so not sure how to provide a "an approved shooter list" for guests when we mostly see "surprise bucks" and I can't trust most folks to be able to "age on the hoof". awesome buck by the way, congrats!!

Andy S.

Congrats mega, I would have shot him on neck alone. He is a bruiser of a neck/torso/body, which is what I like, but rarely see in the daylight. No surprise you killed him in the evening as my experiences afield show the mature bucks are on their feet the last hour of the daylight more than any other time in daylight, outside of pre-rut, rut AND cold temps, which lead to morning movement in daylight. Thanks for sharing.

megalomaniac

Full disclosure, I shot this buck as my buck of choice... he was that impressive on the hoof. I didn't think I had any pics of him at all, but after studying him and old pics, I realized it was one of the old bucks I had put on the cull list.

Here's a pic from last December after he had lost a ton of weight.

megalomaniac

Oh well, not enough cell service to upload pic here...

I would not have killed him if it weren't for the little 6pt feeding 10y upwind of me. This buck came out 250yds away, upwind,, checked the opening, saw the 6pt and I'm assuming thought it was a doe and headed right for it and me. When he got to 100y, he realized it was a buck and turned to head for cover.

Latest posts