What does he score anyway? UPDATE with score

Cheshire

I am going to green score it tomorrow Lord willing, but what are y'all's guesses?View attachment 157478
Also, his tarsals were hardly colored up at all, although they were wet with pee so he must've just got done with a scrape. This would explain why I have yet to see a scrape this year…plus I have only been out 4 times and I just go straight to where I'm hunting.
Nice buck regardless of score

fairchaser

I'm no professional scorer by any stretch, and I was thinking it would be 115-120, and I measured 116 1/4. Broken brow tine and one main beam is 2 inches shorter, plus other deductions make the net somewhere around 111.
Would love to see the measurements if you still have them. Thanks

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Would love to see the measurements if you still have them. Thanks
I measured again this morning with a better tape and got 114 1/2. Biggest difference was yesterday I had the inside spread at 20" and the real was 18 3/8. Although maybe that's because I hacked the skull plate off?
image.jpg

Ski

I measured again this morning with a better tape and got 114 1/2. Biggest difference was yesterday I had the inside spread at 20" and the real was 18 3/8. Although maybe that's because I hacked the skull plate off?
View attachment 157665

They lose inches fairly quick after cutting skull cap, especially if you had the antlers inside with heat or somewhere the wind can blow across them. Most loss comes pretty quick, then quickly slows until no more loss. My taxidermist brother measures while rack is still attached, before hide is even peeled. He then measures again when he's about to attach skull plate to form. Sometimes the difference is negligible and other times fairly dramatic. Each one is different.

114" is a dang respectable buck for only having 8pts to measure, two of which are broken. I say it all the time, bucks often look bigger than the numbers reflect. Yours is a big buck by any standard, one to be proud of. He wouldn't walk past my stand!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
They lose inches fairly quick after cutting skull cap, especially if you had the antlers inside with heat or somewhere the wind can blow across them. Most loss comes pretty quick, then quickly slows until no more loss. My taxidermist brother measures while rack is still attached, before hide is even peeled. He then measures again when he's about to attach skull plate to form. Sometimes the difference is negligible and other times fairly dramatic. Each one is different.

114" is a dang respectable buck for only having 8pts to measure, two of which are broken. I say it all the time, bucks often look bigger than the numbers reflect. Yours is a big buck by any standard, one to be proud of. He wouldn't walk past my stand!
Yep. I'm totally a "brown and downer", I shoot the first deer I see almost every time I hunt nowadays. I don't get out very many times, and I have 10 mouths to feed, and we all like venison better than beef, so I try to kill as many as I can each year. This year I've got 4 but only one each of the past two years. I was looking for 6-7 this year so we didn't have to supplement with beef. This deer gave three times the meat of a regular sized doe that I had hung the day before, so maybe one more will do :p .

I was only curious what he scored. It has some meaning to me, but not a whole lot. I didn't even look at his antlers to check how big it was or wasn't until I walked up to him. I'm actually most pleased by taking a map of the property and picking a good spot before hunting it. I came from Indiana, and locating a good spot is far more difficult in Tennessee. Add in the wind and thermals, and I am pretty much at the mercy of nature. I have a dozen farms that I am able to hunt in my area, and usually only get around to hunting two a year. For big deer and numbers of deer, this place I think is the best of them all. Most of them sit unhunted year after year because the landowners don't hunt or maybe once-twice a year.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
With 10 to feed, you probably should keep hunting! I've got 3 of us to feed and we eat a few each year. That's with other game, fish, and store bought meats as well. If we weren't buying any meats, I'd guess we'd need 4-5 deer.
They are all girls, so that makes the meat consumption tolerable…can't imaging if I had boys instead of girls!

Speedwell-Hunter

I am going to green score it tomorrow Lord willing, but what are y'all's guesses?View attachment 157478
Also, his tarsals were hardly colored up at all, although they were wet with pee so he must've just got done with a scrape. This would explain why I have yet to see a scrape this year…plus I have only been out 4 times and I just go straight to where I'm hunting.
Quick glance, i say mid 135-141 class