Whats best rifle for 7 year old

gobblesandgrunts

Going to take my son this year more often. Think he is getting to the age to gi more and enjoy it. Would a 243 be best for him or something else? Need something with little to no recoil really. Opinions?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rtaylor

Both of my daughters started with my AR-15 at very early ages. They are great for kids because there is no recoil and it has and adjustable butt stock.

JCDEERMAN

My daughter is 3 and when she starts hunting, it will probably be a .223 or .35 (or you could go with a more common 30-30 which is very similar). A .243 is not a bad option at all.

Bucket

rtaylor":2s2i9a9q said:
Both of my daughters started with my AR-15 at very early ages. They are great for kids because there is no recoil and it has and adjustable butt stock.

This is what we did in 6.8 cal. Highly recommend for a youngster and they'll never outgrow it. 6.5 would be another good caliber.

JCDEERMAN

gobblesandgrunts":233kyvc9 said:
Which could hr use longer you think?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I shot my first deer at 12 years old with the .35.....my dad shot his first deer with the same gun 30 years prior to the day. I still use that gun today and it is my go to unless I am hunting where I will have a long distance shot. The 30-30 is a close relative and more common - easier to find ammo. I had a hard time finding .35 ammo the last few years (becoming a rare caliber)....so I found a place that had them and bought a bulk of 25 boxes that will last me a lifetime and more

Other options would be a 7mm-08 or the 6.5. They are the most popular calibers right now. Both of which have little recoil (with the 7mm-08 probably being a better fit) and will do a heck of a job on deer, no doubt

2in1shot

First, I'm not a huge fan of .223 for deer hunting, much less for a kid with buck fever. My daughter started deer hunting at age 7, she is now 9. I set up a single shot .308 with a 14" barrel and 2" pinned break shooting 120gr. Recoil was not bad at all with reduced recoil loads. The first year she shot a button buck. Last year she killed a great buck. 75 yard shot and verified live weight Of 218 lbs. We were expecting to shoot a 4 or 6 pt that evening. 45 minutes before dark, what may be her deer of a lifetime stepped out. I would have hated to have known she was shooting that animal with 22 cal 60gr bullet. Plan for the unexpected. This year I have set up an AR in 6.8 spc. with 110 gr Barnes tsx.

2in1shot

I will add this most important part. Whatever rifle you go with, the most important accessory is a death grip or other tripod to hold the gun. Kids that age can't hold the weight of a firearm much less shoot accurately trying to hold the weight. I have both a fieldpod and a death grip and much prefer the death grip. It's a game changer!

Pilchard

I am a believer that speed kills and there are a couple good options in the 22 caliber. I have seen great results with a 22-250 and would not hesitate to put one in the hands of a child. Accurate, fast, deadly.

You will hear people say that it's not enough... especially with misplaced shots.... but I am also a believer that misplaced shots are due to lack of practice and/or fear of the weapon the child is holding.... both of which can be controlled with range time. People will also say that buck fever causes bad shots.... Personally I will teach my son that if he's too excited to hold steady that he needs to let the deer walk and prepare himself for the next opportunity...

megalomaniac

300 blackout. Get a cheap Henry break action, or one of the other cheap break actions in that caliber. Cut the stock back to fit.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Remington700

I have 2 daughters and they shoot different guns. 1 shoots an AR with 223 Federal Fusions. It has killed many deer and has very little recoil. Only thing I do not like is they do not bleed a lot. The other shoots a Remington model 7 in 243. It also has very little recoil and has killed a many of deer. As you said there are many options.

Racknquack

I have an 8 year old. .243 for me. It's a good gun with plenty of thump and the recoil is light enough it doesn't make them hesitate.

tnanh

243 with 90 grain core lokt no doubt. Seen a bunch of deer dropped with that round and 243 without a doubt is a whitetail round to shoot a lifetime. Im 56 and still carry one sometimes. I shoot 100 grain core lokts.

Latest posts