Want to get a stand by next season, suggests?

3006hollowpoint

I'm 275 lb and 5'10", most stands I've come across are 300lb capacity so I think I'm good there. I'll be putting it in WMA so preferably a portable stand. I need the pros and cons of ladder stands, hang on stands, stand curtains... Never owned one, used one once in my life. I'll likely get it after the holly days when they go on sale. Are there any brands I should definitely stay away from on account of safety? Thanks in advance :)

deerhunter10

if you want a portable stand you need a climber and I recommend a summit. I titan or goliath are my two favorites. as far as ladder stand ive used a whole bunch and I have found to many I just hate. I usually get one with a shooting rail that can be up or down. hang ons the only ones I use a millennium. and safety wise get a safety harness and a life line. and with ladder stands and hang on don't cheap out of ratchet straps buy some good ones and spend the extra money so you can be safe.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
X2 on the Goliath, I used a Gorilla for years and got the Summit this year. Very light, easy to carry and set up / climb and sturdy. I don't think I'd do ladder stands on a WMA.

deerhunter10

you got to buy climbing sticks. and put them up one by one we use ratchet straps on them to. im sure there are you tube vidoes on them to explain that is easier to understand then me typing it. I don't like hang on stands they are a pain and not as comfortable as a ladder stand. if I were you id start with a climber not familiar with public land but I doubt you can have a ladder or hang on stand on them and even if you can they are probably likely to get stolen.

3006hollowpoint

The only regulations for WMA is that you do not use nails in the trees, and you must wear a safety harness. I'm 95% on a ladder since it has the ladder on it already lol

bbuck14

I'd go with a ladder stand myself. Just go by Bass Pro or a sporting goods store that has several different types and pick you one out. Buy it there or either order it. I hear GNB has some good deals on stands.

John Harris

I have used ladder stands (depends on location), tripods (location issues), chain on stands (not so much any more) and finally the climbers. I have a few "buddy stands" but my go-to ladder stands for portability are the Ol'Man ladder stands. Shooting rails and a very comfortable seat on the Ol'Man. I also use the Ol'Man Grand climbing stand. Its an old design but very comfortable and extremely light if you get the new aluminum models (mine is steel). I have a buddy that used Ol'Man and tried a Summit Titan and he is very happy with it as well and, from your OP, he is larger than you.

Vermin93

3006hollowpoint said:
The only regulations for WMA is that you do not use nails in the trees, and you must wear a safety harness. I'm 95% on a ladder since it has the ladder on it already lol

From page 38 of the Tennessee Hunting Guide:

Treestands: The use of wire, nails or other metal material is prohibited in the building or attaching of climbing devices or hunting stands. Portable devices or stands that do not injure trees can be used. Hunting from permanent, attached stands is prohibited. Leaving any personal property, including treestands, unattended for more than 24 hours is prohibited without prior approval of the area manager. WMAs require that treestands must be marked with the hunter�s TWRA ID number.

This is how you get up the tree to a hang on stand when you aren't allowed to use screw-in steps in the tree:

How I climb with my Lone Wolf Sticks

This is how you do it really fast:

How to Hang a Tree Stand in 5 Minutes!

You need to be somewhat nimble and athletic to safely hang climbing sticks and a hang on stand by yourself. Using a climber treestand is less physically demanding and safer.