Climbing stand woes

Black Titan

As others have already stated, make sure you stay connected to the tree from the time you leave the ground until you climb back down the tree after finishing your hunt for the day, and ALWAYS tie a rope between the foot platform and the seat platform. Ask me how I know! lol

Tree stand hunting is much safer today than what it was 40 years ago, and the equipment is much better now. Various harnesses, lineman belts and ropes, and other safety devices were not commercially available back then, so it is a wonder there weren't more falls and injuries than there was.

If you want to hear one short story, the following link details an incident that happened to me around 40 years ago while using one of the first commercially available climbing tree stands.

Seems like I've heard alot about those baker tree stands!

I do make sure I'm connected to the tree as soon as I get on the platform. I do wish the tether were a little longer, as it kind of gets in the way, but I understand why it's so short, so it starts working quicker. At least the tether on the HSS vest is a tad longer and less bulky than the one on the harness that came with the tree stand. That thing was awful, and uncomfortable. I'm glad I got my kid making done, or else after a few hours in that thing I probably won't be able to anymore!

I also need to figure out how to layer everything. I have the safety harness, a chest pack bino harness, clothing, orange vest, then the backpack straps for transporting the stand. Im assuming the harness should go on first, after my clothing, then the chest pack, then the vest. My cold gear jacket does have a slot for the tether to pass through. Won't need that till later on anyways.

Hopefully I don't fall over with this thing on my back, plus my backpack and all that. I'll look like bill Murray in ghostbusters after he got slimed, wallering around on my back like a turned over turtle lol.

I ordered the mountable pouch thing for the summit that mounts to the front rail. Figured I would need a handy place to store snacks and drinks.

BT

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Don't give up... when you first started driving it probably wasn't easy and you had to practice until comfortable, same here. Don't give up. When I first started working with a climber I was fortunate enough to have a good tree in my back yard where I was able to practice whenever I needed to. I would leave the stand connected to the tree so I was able to focus on my climbing technique. Once I was comfortable with that part I moved on to the unpacking, attaching, removal and repacking phase. Worked for me by breaking down the overall process into steps.
It would be cool if you had a hunting buddy who could be there with you for motivation, don't give up, take your time. I know there are many on here who can navigate a climber like a Ninja in the dark but it takes time and practice, you'll get there if you don't give up. Good luck.

backyardtndeer

Summit stands used to come with a prussic attachment rope, a simple tree attachment rope that you slide up the tree as you go. Slide it as high as you can above your head, climb, repeat. Can't imagine them not still coming with one. That should be attached to a full body harness. My summit stand was a Cabela's special probably 25 years ago, I think it was called python. I added stirrups, it didn't come with them, just followed the directions that came with them, and don't recall having to adjust them but the initial time I set them up. I haven't used mine in quite a long time, but of the few climbers I have used it was by far and away the most comfortable and easy to climb with.

Definitely need to find a straight tree to practice on, that is about the same size going up. You have plenty of time to get over your nervousness.

themanpcl

I haven't seen this mentioned. Be sure your top and bottom section are tied together. If the bottom slips or even falls, it won't go too far and you can pull it back up. I have mine tied in the front and back. I tried it at home. It's hard to pull the bottom up with just one cord, front or back.
Yes, 1000%. Had that issue once...never again...

Black Titan

My wife's uncle who will be my hunting partner uses a Viper. I plan to ask him to come over and offer some tips. He's been out of town since I got the stand so haven't been able to touch base with him.

Hes pushing 70, so if he can do it, hopefully I can figure it out.

BT

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I used Gorilla stands for years then bought my first Summit Goliath. Talk about space and comfort! I also added front and side bags so everything I need is within easy reach.

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
I may have a new hazemore seat for it. I just have to double check the model on it. It's either a Goliath or Titan. You are welcome to it if you cover shipping as long as it is the right one.

Black Titan

I may have a new hazemore seat for it. I just have to double check the model on it. It's either a Goliath or Titan. You are welcome to it if you cover shipping as long as it is the right one.

That would be really cool.

I was actually about to make a post about my experiences tonight.

I was able to get up much easier and further today. Not 15 feet, but I ran into some branches and didn't have my saw with Mr this time. I was maybe 8-10 feet up. It felt much better this time. But that DANG seat. It gets in the way so bad. It's in the way when packing, it's in the way when climbing, in the way when coming down. It's a pain. But it's also SO comfortable. So I was going to look into getting the Hazemore, but wondering what you guys that have them use as a backrest? @ScLowCountry and others with a hazemore, any comments?

Karl I believe from what I can tell the titan and goliath hazemore seats are the same. It would be different if it were a viper. The description on Amazon says it fits Titan and Goliath. PM me for any details as I am interested for sure at least just to try it out.

BT

fairchaser

The harness I got has lineman loops on the hips, I suppose maybe I could get a linemans rope and add that just for added peace of mind until I get used to it. Not sure how to rig that though.

Odd thing is, I'm not sure where the heights issue came from. Med induced? Age? Maybe it's because I have kids now, knowing someone else depends on me coming home. I was fearless when I was younger. Climbing water towers, diving off cliffs, jumping over ravines, walking across old dead logs that fell over the ravine. Don't know what happened along the way. Looking over the edge of the 8th floor balcony at the condo I stayed in over vacation made me nauseated and weak kneed. There was I time you would have seen me perched on the dang rail.

BT
Maybe it's time to hunt from the ground. I know several hunters who are very effective at still hunting and ground hunting. There are advantages that stand hunters don't have. The main one is flexibility. Once you are in a tree, you are stuck even if the wind changes, most will sit it out regardless. Sometimes moving 50 yds will change everything but the stand hunter is stuck in one spot. Keep your options open. Even if you get to 10 feet, it's really not enough. You are still a big blob right in the deer's line of sight. I like to get over 20 at least and 30 is even better. Even at this height you can be seen if you aren't still. If you do get this high, you'll probably be so petrified you can't move. Best of luck!

krazykarl_13

2-Step Enabled
That would be really cool.

I was actually about to make a post about my experiences tonight.

I was able to get up much easier and further today. Not 15 feet, but I ran into some branches and didn't have my saw with Mr this time. I was maybe 8-10 feet up. It felt much better this time. But that DANG seat. It gets in the way so bad. It's in the way when packing, it's in the way when climbing, in the way when coming down. It's a pain. But it's also SO comfortable. So I was going to look into getting the Hazemore, but wondering what you guys that have them use as a backrest? @ScLowCountry and others with a hazemore, any comments?

Karl I believe from what I can tell the titan and goliath hazemore seats are the same. It would be different if it were a viper. The description on Amazon says it fits Titan and Goliath. PM me for any details as I am interested for sure at least just to try it out.

BT
I should have one then. I have a viper and they sent the wrong one when I ordered. I will try to check tonight and get with you.

LanceS4803

I've used the Hazmore for a long time.
My only gripe is using it in cold weather. My butt FREEZES! There is no insulation and that netting just cuts through any loft in your clothing (and I don't have any extra, built in, insulation ).
I end up bringing a small foam square to sit on, on top of the netting..

kaizen leader

I bought my climber from Walmart for $150. In the description it said aluminum. It wasn't. It's a tank. Pretty heavy. I do like it for a short hike. It's very comfortable with a sling like padded seat. It's easy to climb with, built very well, and folds flat. Just heavy. I'm 74 and can handle it. The comfort is what I like the most. I can stay in it all day.
I like the sound of the sling type but I'm not sure if it's for me. Sounds hard to use.
Good luck this season.

East TN Bowhunter

I was a little skeered of heights back when I first started bow hunting from a stand. I cured it by climbing up before s
daylight, usually a little higher than I intended. Then, when daylight came, I was already setup, and didn't dare move at prime-time.

I got accustomed to it after a few trips like that, no problem.
Exactly what I do...

ScLowCountry

Well I just tried to use my Hazemore seed on my new summit viper micro. I can't use it as the shooting rail is too short and my knees hit it. If anybody wants one on the cheap let me know. I love the mesh seat on my old regular viper. Oh well, guess I'll use the bulky POS seat that comes with the stand.

Black Titan

Well I just tried to use my Hazemore seed on my new summit viper micro. I can't use it as the shooting rail is too short and my knees hit it. If anybody wants one on the cheap let me know. I love the mesh seat on my old regular viper. Oh well, guess I'll use the bulky POS seat that comes with the stand.

What do you use as a backrest? I see hazmore sells a backrest, but ive also seen people use pipe insulation wrapped in camp tape.

BT

Latest posts