Gearing up for first climbing stand

Black Titan

Never had a climber before, or any deer stand for that matter. I've compiled a shopping list of the items I think I need to get up into a tree.

Would ya'll more experienced folks care to look over this and tell me if I covered all the bases to SAFELY use a climbing tree stand? I chose the goliath because I am 6'1" and around 275, and my gear weighs roughly 20 or so pounds, so I need the wiggle room on the weight capacity. The viper says it supports 300, but I would be right at that max and don't want to risk it.

BT

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Black Titan

I should add....I'm also considering a saddle, but have no clue where to start. How do you even climb up into the tree with a saddle? I've heard the term "one sticking" thrown around, but don't completely understand the concept.

I just need something safe and somewhat easy to get my big fat A into a tree without falling out of it or worse. For public land so can't setup a ladder stand and leave it.

BT

tahtah

You might want to consider a summit Titan instead of the Goliath. It's a few inches bigger.

I would also recommend finding someone close who can let you try climbing with one. Once you get used to it, I think it's the easiest and safest way to climb. That's assuming you use a good safety device, attach it on the ground and stay attached until you're back on the ground.

I prefer a rock climbing harness (front facing) versus a hunting climbing harness (rear facing strap). Obviously the most important thing is to west one or the other.

Black Titan

You might want to consider a summit Titan instead of the Goliath. It's a few inches bigger.

I would also recommend finding someone close who can let you try climbing with one. Once you get used to it, I think it's the easiest and safest way to climb. That's assuming you use a good safety device, attach it on the ground and stay attached until you're back on the ground.

I prefer a rock climbing harness (front facing) versus a hunting climbing harness (rear facing strap). Obviously the most important thing is to west one or the other.

Would a rock climbing harness get in the way of shooting a bow? I should have mentioned I'll be archery hunting for the most part. I pulled Oak Ridge for mzl/shotgun but will still probably take my bow.

BT

CharlieTN

I should add....I'm also considering a saddle, but have no clue where to start. How do you even climb up into the tree with a saddle? I've heard the term "one sticking" thrown around, but don't completely understand the concept.

I just need something safe and somewhat easy to get my big fat A into a tree without falling out of it or worse. For public land so can't setup a ladder stand and leave it.

BT

If you're interested in a saddle then your best bet is to find someone who saddle hunts and let them show you the ropes. As far as the basics, most people use a set or climbing sticks the same as you would to get to a lock-on stand. At the top of the climb they will use some sort of a platform, or what is called a ring of steps, or even a combination, to have a place for their feet. Contrary to what many would say, us bigger guys can do it. I'm 52, weight 257, and saddle hunt.

I wouldn't worry too much about one-sticking yet. Try it with regular sticks first. one-stick climbing is where you use one stick, usually with webbing or rope aiders underneath to climb a portion of the tree. Then you hang in the saddle, pull up the stick and attach it higher and repeat the climb. You only need one stick because you take it up with you. Most of us who do that rappel back down at the end of the climb which is a whole nother thing. If you want to know more, I would be happy to share what I do. I live in Rhea county and pastor a church in Roane county, in Spring City.

tahtah

No, a rock climbing harness does not interfere with a bow. Actually less so than a saddle. It's basically the same concept, just that you don't have a tight tether at all times.

There's been a few discussions on here in the past, but the advantage of a rock climbing harness is that if you do fall (until the safety device catches you), you're facing the tree. Think about how that would go with a harness where you're facing away from the tree.

themanpcl

Never had a climber before, or any deer stand for that matter. I've compiled a shopping list of the items I think I need to get up into a tree.

Would ya'll more experienced folks care to look over this and tell me if I covered all the bases to SAFELY use a climbing tree stand? I chose the goliath because I am 6'1" and around 275, and my gear weighs roughly 20 or so pounds, so I need the wiggle room on the weight capacity. The viper says it supports 300, but I would be right at that max and don't want to risk it.

BT
You'll be fine as long as you go slow, practice and get your form down. I have used climbers for 20+ years and no accidents. I used a Baker back in the day and never fell. I do attach my safety harness when I'm at height and I make sure climber and platform are tightly hugging the tree. Might be too close to season to get into saddle but the advice you will get regarding trying before you buy is good.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Black Titan

My wife's uncle has a viper that he said I could try out and see if it's feasible. I could go up in it with no gear and see how it feels.

I chose the goliath based on what I read the goliaths platform is a little bigger, however the titans bar is bigger and sits higher? I figured with bow hunting I would want the bigger feet area.

So with the rock harness, is there any risk of falling upside down? I feel like I saw a story either on here or archery talk where that happened to someone and they died. Don't remember the details though.

BT

Black Titan

I would one-sticking would be a workout for you. Not saying you can't do it but it's a good bit of movement and bending and repeating

Yeah I need to keep an eye on my back with something like that. Have some herniated/ruptured disks back there. Bending and repeating may be a no-go for me. My back is ok most of the time, but then again I sneezed first thing this morning and it has been tight all day, so there's that lol.

BT

Iglow

I use a rock climbing harness too. 1 thing, I use a loop around the tree and attached to the front of the harness that I slide up the tree above the hand climber so I'm tied to the tree 100% of the time from the ground up and back down. I use a seperate rope to tie to the tree once I get up to height. Both ropes are 8mm kermantle climbing rope.

I never climb with/into any treestand,climber, saddle, ladder, that I'm not roped to the tree from the ground up and back down.

tahtah

Per hanging upside down, I wondered the same and seem to remember that thread. I'd say it's possible. However, I'd rather take my chances with that versus dangling where I can't reach anything to get me back into a position where I can save myself.

If I were overly concerned about flipping upside down, I think it'd be easy to figure out a way to prevent that or have another rope attached that I could use to right myself.

Think about rock climbers. Do they ever get upside down such that it's a problem? Of course they are in much better shape than the average deer hunter.

Just some things to consider. The most important thing is that you think through what works best for you and you use it.

ScLowCountry

Get a hazemore mesh seat. It's so much easier to deal with. You lose some comfort and you sit higher so the shooting rail isn't the best anymore, but it's so much easier to deal with

Black Titan

Well I just ordered a bunch of stuff lol. Got the goliath, footrest, harness, tree tether, backpack system, hoisting rope, and gear hanger.

We'll see how it goes I reckon.

BT

Latest posts