Climbing stand woes

Black Titan

So I ended up getting a Summit Goliath. I decked it out with accessories except a new seat. Got the deluxe foot rest, third hand support straps, third hand bow holder, backpacking straps with Molle, HSS rope style tree strap, HSS x-1 Bowhunter harness, pull up rope for my bow and backpack.

I like the seat for comfort, but dang does that thing get in the way, both packing and climbing. Those little hooks for the backrest, if left to dangle, grab EVERYTHING. Ive seen the hazmore recommended. Is it as comfortable as the stock seat?

Climbing - I'm having a hard time trusting the process. Every step up into the tree my mind is going crazy - did I get the teeth in firm enough, can I put my weight here, dang tether get out of my way, omg it just wiggled/shifted/moved, are these cables locked in good enough? Let me check for the 50th time.

I've only made it about 6 feet off the ground. Tonight I was going to try and go farther, but it got dark on me. Then I had a realization- when I go to hunt, I'm going to be doing this whole setup in the dark. Ugh. Too tired to continue on, I came down the 4 feet I had climbed today, and packed it up. Guess I could have just stepped out of it. I looked over at my deer target that I've setup to practice on and it was staring at me as if to say "I can clearly see you there, only a few feet off the ground, chicken." It's also tiring, but I've also worked all day and mowed for 3.5 hours before dragging it out to try it.

Yes, I have a slight fear of heights. But I also understand I need to overcome this and get off the ground so I don't spook the deer. I'm just having trouble trusting the mechanics of the climber. This in turn makes me inch up very slowly, and then stop well short of my destination height.

How do you guys have your stirrups set up? I tried pushing mine back, towards the tree, but there it seems I can't get a good enough grip to maneuver the base. But I like them there because they're out of the way. I have them slid far forward now, so I can try and wiggle that base around to climb with it. It seems even though I start at an angle, I end up either level or pitched down way too soon up the tree.

I have to do the sit method where I sit on the bar and pull up. So I'm INCHING up the tree. I can't lock my arms and do it that way due to wrist issues and lower back issues. Too much weight dangling on my frame. So I'm stuck with sitting on the bar.

I also wonder if I've chosen a wonky tree. It's not perfectly round at the base. More of an oval shape, then gets round about 3 feet up.

And packing this thing - I got the nice backpack style straps, the treestand transport system I think its called. For the life of me I cannot get these things nested together to where they don't rattle, bang, clang, etc. That darn seat gets in my way of getting them properly nested.

Then, by the time I'm 6 feet in the tree, I'm absolutely DRENCHED. I mean I could probably wring out my t shirt. Granted, I'm trying this in the evening with the sun beating down and it's humid as all get out. If im sweating this bad come hunting season, I may as well not even go. Slight change in the wind and I'm busted immediately.

Anyways, any words of encouragement from folks that have been in the same situation would be appreciated.

BT

themanpcl

So I ended up getting a Summit Goliath. I decked it out with accessories except a new seat. Got the deluxe foot rest, third hand support straps, third hand bow holder, backpacking straps with Molle, HSS rope style tree strap, HSS x-1 Bowhunter harness, pull up rope for my bow and backpack.

I like the seat for comfort, but dang does that thing get in the way, both packing and climbing. Those little hooks for the backrest, if left to dangle, grab EVERYTHING. Ive seen the hazmore recommended. Is it as comfortable as the stock seat?

Climbing - I'm having a hard time trusting the process. Every step up into the tree my mind is going crazy - did I get the teeth in firm enough, can I put my weight here, dang tether get out of my way, omg it just wiggled/shifted/moved, are these cables locked in good enough? Let me check for the 50th time.

I've only made it about 6 feet off the ground. Tonight I was going to try and go farther, but it got dark on me. Then I had a realization- when I go to hunt, I'm going to be doing this whole setup in the dark. Ugh. Too tired to continue on, I came down the 4 feet I had climbed today, and packed it up. Guess I could have just stepped out of it. I looked over at my deer target that I've setup to practice on and it was staring at me as if to say "I can clearly see you there, only a few feet off the ground, chicken." It's also tiring, but I've also worked all day and mowed for 3.5 hours before dragging it out to try it.

Yes, I have a slight fear of heights. But I also understand I need to overcome this and get off the ground so I don't spook the deer. I'm just having trouble trusting the mechanics of the climber. This in turn makes me inch up very slowly, and then stop well short of my destination height.

How do you guys have your stirrups set up? I tried pushing mine back, towards the tree, but there it seems I can't get a good enough grip to maneuver the base. But I like them there because they're out of the way. I have them slid far forward now, so I can try and wiggle that base around to climb with it. It seems even though I start at an angle, I end up either level or pitched down way too soon up the tree.

I have to do the sit method where I sit on the bar and pull up. So I'm INCHING up the tree. I can't lock my arms and do it that way due to wrist issues and lower back issues. Too much weight dangling on my frame. So I'm stuck with sitting on the bar.

I also wonder if I've chosen a wonky tree. It's not perfectly round at the base. More of an oval shape, then gets round about 3 feet up.

And packing this thing - I got the nice backpack style straps, the treestand transport system I think its called. For the life of me I cannot get these things nested together to where they don't rattle, bang, clang, etc. That darn seat gets in my way of getting them properly nested.

Then, by the time I'm 6 feet in the tree, I'm absolutely DRENCHED. I mean I could probably wring out my t shirt. Granted, I'm trying this in the evening with the sun beating down and it's humid as all get out. If im sweating this bad come hunting season, I may as well not even go. Slight change in the wind and I'm busted immediately.

Anyways, any words of encouragement from folks that have been in the same situation would be appreciated.

BT
it will take a minute to get good at managing the stand but as far as the fear of heights, not sure trying to overcome it while trying to shoot an animal is the best approach. there are a lot of things that through practice will make it easy and enjoyable to climb but none of them will resolve the anxiety.

Iglow

Get some sticky peel wide Velcro off Amazon and look at each place the 2 parts touch when you've got it packed together and put the Velcro there, it'll quiet down plus bungee strap it to keep it tight. As for climbing I use a rock harness and tie a loop above the hand climber before I go up, raising it above the hand climber. I use kermantle climbing rope rated at 8000 lbs. You're not gonna break that so you just gotta get used to it. You're tied to the tree from the time you leave the ground till you get back down with that method. I usta get nervous going on up but thought if I fall from 25 ft at ain't gonna be any worse than falling from 15/18 feet and I quit worrying about it.

Black Titan

it will take a minute to get good at managing the stand but as far as the fear of heights, not sure trying to overcome it while trying to shoot an animal is the best approach. there are a lot of things that through practice will make it easy and enjoyable to climb but none of them will resolve the anxiety.

I'm ok once I'm up there sitting or even standing. It's all the "what ifs" running through my darn head during the process of detaching the foot base from the tree and moving it up and all that. Once I got all locked in and secured, it was very comfortable and kind of peaceful. Granted, I was only 6 feet off the ground, but its not being up there that gets me. It's the act of using the stand.

BT

Black Titan

The harness I got has lineman loops on the hips, I suppose maybe I could get a linemans rope and add that just for added peace of mind until I get used to it. Not sure how to rig that though.

Odd thing is, I'm not sure where the heights issue came from. Med induced? Age? Maybe it's because I have kids now, knowing someone else depends on me coming home. I was fearless when I was younger. Climbing water towers, diving off cliffs, jumping over ravines, walking across old dead logs that fell over the ravine. Don't know what happened along the way. Looking over the edge of the 8th floor balcony at the condo I stayed in over vacation made me nauseated and weak kneed. There was I time you would have seen me perched on the dang rail.

BT

Gravey

Make sure you are strapped to the tree from the time you leave the ground until your feet touch it again. I use a black diamond rock climbing harness. Many moons ago I didn't do that and looking back that was stupid. I have the Summit Viper but think they're basically the same except for size. If the strap at the top of the seat that goes around the tree is bungee with s-hooks I have those wrapped around the frame arms and hooked to each other when transporting and then release them when not using so it's not stretched out. The third hand straps that lock it down double as straps to cinch it tight together to keep it from clanging on itself while walking in. All this said I haven't used mine in several years but have no problem doing so if I needed it. Just practice with it and take your time. Always make sure the bottom platform is locked down into the tree before moving the top section up or down.

cbhunter

Have you ever used a climber? I've used several brands and nothing comes close to the "safeness/secureness" of a summit in my honest opinion. It flat out grabs the tree. That's not saying it don't ever move or shift while climbing but that thing ain't going no where on the average tree. There are some trees that just ain't fit for climbing though

Black Titan

Have you ever used a climber? I've used several brands and nothing comes close to the "safeness/secureness" of a summit in my honest opinion. It flat out grabs the tree. That's not saying it don't ever move or shift while climbing but that thing ain't going no where on the average tree. There are some trees that just ain't fit for climbing though

Nope. This is my first climbing stand. It's a learning process.

BT

Black Titan

I haven't seen this mentioned. Be sure your top and bottom section are tied together. If the bottom slips or even falls, it won't go too far and you can pull it back up. I have mine tied in the front and back. I tried it at home. It's hard to pull the bottom up with just one cord, front or back.

They are held together on both sides with the third hand archery safety straps. They work pretty neat in the fact that once you tighten them down, putting pressure on the foot stand actually pulls on the top section, making it bite in and more secure as well.

I didn't like that little bungie cord that it came with.

BT

Carlos

I was a little skeered of heights back when I first started bow hunting from a stand. I cured it by climbing up before s
daylight, usually a little higher than I intended. Then, when daylight came, I was already setup, and didn't dare move at prime-time.

I got accustomed to it after a few trips like that, no problem.

mike243

After dropping the bottom part a few times I learned to tie them together, now at almost 62 I haven't been up a climber in 10 years or so, I decided to go back the way I started with 2 feet on the ground, a ladder stand or 2 if you have a place to leave them work well. a blind in the cold or wet weather beats any tree stand. hunt with somebody for awhile if at all possible, safety is #1 priority, seeing deer is#2 and shooting 1 is 4 enjoying being up there, high winds can make you wonder why you went up lol

Lone Hunter

I have a friend who is scared of heights. He has a Summit Stand and doesn't get very high up. I took one of my ladder stands to his property and he does much better with it. He sounds just like you in your description. I like a ladder stand for the convenience but if you have to move it's a lot harder to move around than a climber. I have never been bothered by heights so I don't understand the fear of heights. All I can suggest if it bothers you really bad I would stay on the ground. It's better to be safe than sorry. Another friend fell out of his stand and broke his back and had to be airlifted out. He had had back surgery, fusion, years earlier and it took a good while to recover. If you are dead set on the climbers make sure to use the safety ropes as has been mentioned. The more you use it the more comfortable you will be with it.

TNTreeman

Try and find a healthy ash tree, white oak , or poplar that's not too big. I like how climbers bite into these soft bark trees. When you set up ,angle the bases slightly upward to make up for the tree getting smaller. Keep your safety harness on and even test it when your about 5' off the ground so you know how it feels. Practice as often as you can and go higher each time. Also when you get to your desired height slap a ratchet strap on , it really snugs it up.

ImThere

A couple of things
Try a softer tree the first few times. Ones where you have to pick the top up to get the teeth out. You'll feel more secure.
I been preaching rock climbing harness for heck 15+ years it seems like. You use a tether and connect in front so you can get back together after a fall. A regular harness is fine just remember when you fall you won't be facing the tree. Please use one and tether in once your stand is connected to the tree. Like when your feet leave the ground. A linesman is NOT FALL ARREST! You can and will slide right down a tree there are plenty of YouTube videos.
Use a pull up rope. Throw you stuff on the ground connect to a rope and tie the rope to your climber. Give yourself 25' of rope. Don't climb with anything you have to fiddle with. UNLOAD your rifle put your arrows in the quiver.

Moonman

I'll add make sure your camber is set to be an upward enough on the foot portion. A few times I didn't realize in the dark the taper of the tree and got up there and my feet portion wasn't as flat as I thought. Also a good handheld foldable saw is great to knock off those annoying small branches.

utvolsfan77

As others have already stated, make sure you stay connected to the tree from the time you leave the ground until you climb back down the tree after finishing your hunt for the day, and ALWAYS tie a rope between the foot platform and the seat platform. Ask me how I know! lol

Tree stand hunting is much safer today than what it was 40 years ago, and the equipment is much better now. Various harnesses, lineman belts and ropes, and other safety devices were not commercially available back then, so it is a wonder there weren't more falls and injuries than there was.

If you want to hear one short story, the following link details an incident that happened to me around 40 years ago while using one of the first commercially available climbing tree stands.

Latest posts