Climbing stands

Blockhouse

Has anyone ever used a backpack frame to carry a climber? They would appear to provide better support and might make a hike with a stand more comfortable. I've seen some frames with a shelf at the bottom, they are aluminum and weigh almost nothing. The climber don't come with the best shoulder straps and are hard on the back. Thoughts?

JN

I have used the xop tree stand transport system on a summit. I would the. attach all my gear to the tree stand. Made long hikes more comfortable and put the weight on your hips.

TboneD

It might could work. I use one to carry in a couple sets of climbing sticks in at a time and hopefully will use it to pack out a deer from somewhere this year.

What climber do you have? If you're not over 6' and of average build I highly recommend the Summit Mini Viper. I also have a couple of the larger Vipers but they don't carry near as good. I swapped out the straps for the ones that Lone Wolf Custom Gear sells because they're wider and really light. I also use their hip belt to get the weight off my shoulders. But you can use those straps on the regular size Viper and other stands as well.

tahtah

I have and it makes a huge difference in carry a heavy climber on long walks. I have a summit climber. I think the model is a Titan, but not 100% sure. It's a bigger model summit. I'm 6'2". I use an old hiking pack frame that I removed the pack from. I tie it on with 3 small ropes, 2 at the top, and one around the bottom. I can have it all put together in just a few minutes.

I put my pack on the other side in the climber and run a bungee cord across it.

There are a couple of disadvantages. The biggest being noise. At times it might squeek or clank. The 2 orange gear ties you see in the pic are to keep the upper and lower sections of the climber from clanking together and helps with the squeeking. I find the tighter I can get it tied together, the less likely it is to make any noise. You'll also notice the pipe insulation across the top to keep the metal from the climber from clanking on the metal of the frame.

Secondly, I have to remove the frame in order to climb. So I have to detach and attach it each hunt. The perfect scenario would be something you could leave attached to the bottom section and not have to take it apart every time.

Here's a pic of my setup.

IMG_4542.JPG

Blockhouse

That's what I was thinking. Stands just aren't ergonomically made to strap on your back. I had a viper until it got squished by my truck - so sad I loved that stand. I now have another brand - not quite as light but ok - it uses the motorcycle chain type strap which alone adds pounds over the summit but is secure. The proper frame on the back will make this easier it appears.

Deer 1

I have used the xop tree stand transport system on a summit. I would the. attach all my gear to the tree stand. Made long hikes more comfortable and put the weight on your hips.
I use the xop for my summit too. Really helps for me. I have also read about people using alice pack frames.

Last edited:

rhinoblakes

I use the xop for my summit too. Really helps for me. I have also read about people using alice pack frames.
I helped a buddy set up a Molle II frame, straps, and waist belt for hauling his climber on long hikes. Good ideas on setups in the other posts. It's such huge difference hiking with proper support and weight distribution of load of the stand/gear.

fairchaser

The Molle system works well and I use them on all my stands. I don't use the waist belt because I can get pretty close to my spot with my Ebike. The problem with a frame is that it stays on the ground. I have the same issue with the bike. Deer are always blowing at it just out of range and often out of sight. I suggest keep it at the base of the tree.

TboneD

I told my wife. I wanted the summit aluminum viper. I wish the mini viper would work for me. But i am 6'8 tall.
Consider the Summit Goliath. Couple inches wider than the Viper with 50 lb more in weight limit, but only little over a pound more in weight. Summit says it only weighs 21 lbs and I just noticed Bass Pro has it on sale for $350, normally $400. With your height it should carry as good or better than the mini does for us shorter guys.

Latest posts