Climbing stand woes

thale51

It definitely takes some practice to get comfortable with it! When I first started using climbers years ago, I started with a Gorilla climbing stand and absolutely hated it. I then switched to the Summit Goliath and that's the only climber I've used since. I think you have all of the accessories that I do as well. It definitely makes the climbing stand experience so much better. I would just take your time and spend as much time as you can practicing climbing up and down different trees before taking it into the woods to hunt. Go slow and don't get in a rush. It's too easy to make mistakes or slip when trying to climb fast. Trust me, I know lol. I've been using a climber for a little over 10 years now, and I still get a little nervous the first climb I make with it every season. I really like the Third Hand Archery straps on each side too. Cinch those down as tight as you can while standing on the platform and that stand isn't going anywhere until you relieve the tension on the straps.

kaizen leader

I thought I was going to be smart and use a climber on a tree that was growing at an angle. Seamed like a good idea at the time. I could lean back and relax right? I got up about 20', the climber swung around to the lower side and slid all the way down the tree. It left me hanging way up there. I had all my winter clothes on a had to swing my legs back to the tree and slide down. I almost couldn't do it but life and pain was a good incentive. 😱😂

Black Titan

You can also get the same straps at Walmart in camping section. Same as third hand except $6.00 instead of $25 dollars.

Even though I already bought the third hand straps, I may pick up a couple of these to strap around the platforms to secure it and my backpack. Thanks for the tip.

BT

Black Titan

Nothing quite like sliding 20 ft down a tree in the dark to get your heart pumping.
I thought I was going to be smart and use a climber on a tree that was growing at an angle. Seamed like a good idea at the time. I could lean back and relax right? I got up about 20', the climber swung around to the lower side and slid all the way down the tree. It left me hanging way up there. I had all my winter clothes on a had to swing my legs back to the tree and slide down. I almost couldn't do it but life and pain was a good incentive. 😱😂

Ok anybody want to buy a brand new climber? Lol

Just kidding. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Also been researching saddles for the past couple of days. Alot to read on and learn.

BT

Madbowh

I made my own line and use a prusik knot. I never used to use a harness but I do now after sliding 20' down a tree. I get between 20 and 30'.

Put your stand on the tree account for the tree tapering, put your harness on and just go. Keep your weight evenly distributed.

I climb really fast but come down really slow. I'll go up easy 4 foot each climb and maybe 2' each time on the way down.

I once climbed a telephone pole with my climber about 40' to take a light down. Used spikes on the shorter pole about 25'

I set my prusik knot at the ground to make sure it won't slip if I fall and don't touch it the whole climb, I just loosen the loop on my drop line to slide it up the tree

30-06 type of guy

i use to be scared to use a climber myself. Started 2 years ago tho and pretty much use all season now unless it's better to sit on the ground. I found that climbing in the dark was a lot easier. Not afraid of heights just the fact of slipping down but being tied together made me more comfortable. The first morning I climbed once I hooked it up to the tree and hooked my harness I told my buddy he was good to go. Little did I know It was gone be a struggle, then I got up the tree and couldn't figure out the seat 🤦🏽‍♂️ so I stood up for an hour until daylight😂. I thought I was making too much noise during the whole process. I felt like an idiot at daylight. Good luck you'll like it in the long run

FishnFed

To take your mind off of the height etc, you may want to count the number of times you go up the tree. I have found 15 - 17 is about right. Gives me something to concentrate on other than the "what ifs".

Black Titan

To take your mind off of the height etc, you may want to count the number of times you go up the tree. I have found 15 - 17 is about right. Gives me something to concentrate on other than the "what ifs".

I appreciate the advice.

As I've used the climber more, I'm getting a bit more comfortable with it. I've also been using a saddle and one stick, which I feel more comfortable with. The climber still makes me nervous. There's always this thought in the back of my head that when I stand up that bottom platform is going to detach and fall out from under me, so I move VERRRRRY slow when I stand and hold on to the top rails with both hands lol. Hey, at least it keeps me moving slow if a deer walks up!

I think I need to learn my trees and what's best to climb too. The last tree I was in was absolutely terrible. Full of knots and knobs and I could not get a good grip into the tree.

BT

knightrider

I appreciate the advice.

As I've used the climber more, I'm getting a bit more comfortable with it. I've also been using a saddle and one stick, which I feel more comfortable with. The climber still makes me nervous. There's always this thought in the back of my head that when I stand up that bottom platform is going to detach and fall out from under me, so I move VERRRRRY slow when I stand and hold on to the top rails with both hands lol. Hey, at least it keeps me moving slow if a deer walks up!

I think I need to learn my trees and what's best to climb too. The last tree I was in was absolutely terrible. Full of knots and knobs and I could not get a good grip into the tree.

BT
The saddle is the way to go, 20 feet in a climber i can hardly move for fear😂 30 ft in a saddle and it doesnt bother me a bit😁

Gravey

I appreciate the advice.

BT
Tie a piece of rope from the top half to the bottom half on each side so that if the bottom did slide down it can't go to the ground. I've got some kind of strap on each side of mine that have a specific name I can't recall and once I'm at the height you pull them and it keeps them tight together and no slipping. Maybe alligator straps.

East TN Hunter

Goliath Is a great stand. Stick with it. Poplar or straight oaks with consistent diameter are best for starters. Stay away from slick bark trees. Pines are great but can have almost too much grip. Stirrups should be as far from the tree as possible with just enough room to fit your boots under. This gives better control of bottom platform. I developed a fear of heights as I got older. Over came it with time in stand. You'll get it!

Iglow

I appreciate the advice.

BT
I got a climbing harness and a 10k climbing rope to loop around the tree above the climber and raise it before I raise the climber and stand so it's a 3 step process. I'm attached to the tree from the ground up and back down. The climbing harness keeps you facing the tree. I looked a t the rating of both the harness and rope and thought I could hang my truck from it and still not break it, after that I quit worrying. One thing that helps is having 2 bungee cords I wrap around the cables to keep tension on them. Maybe somehow it could fall but it seems very unlikely with the bungee cords holding the cables to the tree. I've got complete confidence in my summit openshot. I'm a chubby 62, scared of heights and generally over cautious but I'm good with my summit.

Latest posts