Climbing stand woes

DMD

So I ended up getting a Summit Goliath. I decked it out with accessories except a new seat. Got the deluxe foot rest, third hand support straps, third hand bow holder, backpacking straps with Molle, HSS rope style tree strap, HSS x-1 Bowhunter harness, pull up rope for my bow and backpack.

I like the seat for comfort, but dang does that thing get in the way, both packing and climbing. Those little hooks for the backrest, if left to dangle, grab EVERYTHING. Ive seen the hazmore recommended. Is it as comfortable as the stock seat?

Climbing - I'm having a hard time trusting the process. Every step up into the tree my mind is going crazy - did I get the teeth in firm enough, can I put my weight here, dang tether get out of my way, omg it just wiggled/shifted/moved, are these cables locked in good enough? Let me check for the 50th time.

I've only made it about 6 feet off the ground. Tonight I was going to try and go farther, but it got dark on me. Then I had a realization- when I go to hunt, I'm going to be doing this whole setup in the dark. Ugh. Too tired to continue on, I came down the 4 feet I had climbed today, and packed it up. Guess I could have just stepped out of it. I looked over at my deer target that I've setup to practice on and it was staring at me as if to say "I can clearly see you there, only a few feet off the ground, chicken." It's also tiring, but I've also worked all day and mowed for 3.5 hours before dragging it out to try it.

Yes, I have a slight fear of heights. But I also understand I need to overcome this and get off the ground so I don't spook the deer. I'm just having trouble trusting the mechanics of the climber. This in turn makes me inch up very slowly, and then stop well short of my destination height.

How do you guys have your stirrups set up? I tried pushing mine back, towards the tree, but there it seems I can't get a good enough grip to maneuver the base. But I like them there because they're out of the way. I have them slid far forward now, so I can try and wiggle that base around to climb with it. It seems even though I start at an angle, I end up either level or pitched down way too soon up the tree.

I have to do the sit method where I sit on the bar and pull up. So I'm INCHING up the tree. I can't lock my arms and do it that way due to wrist issues and lower back issues. Too much weight dangling on my frame. So I'm stuck with sitting on the bar.

I also wonder if I've chosen a wonky tree. It's not perfectly round at the base. More of an oval shape, then gets round about 3 feet up.

And packing this thing - I got the nice backpack style straps, the treestand transport system I think its called. For the life of me I cannot get these things nested together to where they don't rattle, bang, clang, etc. That darn seat gets in my way of getting them properly nested.

Then, by the time I'm 6 feet in the tree, I'm absolutely DRENCHED. I mean I could probably wring out my t shirt. Granted, I'm trying this in the evening with the sun beating down and it's humid as all get out. If im sweating this bad come hunting season, I may as well not even go. Slight change in the wind and I'm busted immediately.

Anyways, any words of encouragement from folks that have been in the same situation would be appreciated.

BT
I replaced the bunji cord thing on the seat with an alligator strap. Works way better and works great for bundling the seat up for carrying.

Latest posts