Early/mid season camo

Hey guys, what would y'all recommend for an early/mid season camo set? For late season I recently bought the Nomad cottonwood NXT set and it seems great for any weather below 50°, but it's a little warm for anything above that. I'd prefer not to pay Sitka prices, but if it's worth the money I'm open to it.

Gravey

Camo is overrated due to great advertising. Growing up we wore army green wool pants with a plaid flannel shirt / jacket and the deer didn't care. For temps above 50 I go with the cheapest most comfortable stuff I can find. Could care less the brand or if it even matches. For cold weather I've tried First Lite, Badlands, Sitka and various other brands along the way. The Sitka fits me best without the bulk and so that's what I wear when it's 40's or below.

Last edited:

mbader5

KUIU just had their annual sale - up to 40% off. Ended yesterday - sorry I didn't see this sooner. Keep an eye out for sales - they all have them. I think First Lite sale is usually 20%. I just started hunting down here - agree, camo pattern doesn't matter but if you're hiking in, the material does.

C1295

KUIU just had their annual sale - up to 40% off. Ended yesterday - sorry I didn't see this sooner. Keep an eye out for sales - they all have them. I think First Lite sale is usually 20%. I just started hunting down here - agree, camo pattern doesn't matter but if you're hiking in, the material does.
Agreed.

Remington700

Those temps I usually wear light thermals and just a cover of camo I like. I've gotten away from cotton camo just because it fades so fast. Nomad has been having 40% off real tree lately.

tree_ghost

I like the Orvis 5 pocket stretch pant in army green or brown that I get from Costco for $18/ea. they are stretchy and do really well through briars. If it's cool I just west base layers under them. Some of my early season light stuff from Sitka was definitely not made for the thickets of the south….

cbhunter

Let's see… I'm in the woods now and lemme give you the rundown

Mossy oak blades pants under my mossyoak treestand pattern pants. Max 5 hoodie under my bottomlands pullover. All that under my mossy oak blades full zip jacket. Plain old blue beanie from work. Sitting in a camo blind. Yes it's cold and yes most of this is duck hunting camo. Comfort and warmth trump matching camo by 1000x

But to each their own. Nothing wrong with spending money on stuff you like and matches if you got it to burn

TboneD

Like others have said, for deer just wear what'll keep you dry, quiet, and comfortable. If you're looking at stretching your dollar I'd start at Walmart, and I don't mean in sporting goods. You may find something that'll work for a fraction of the price of the expensive stuff. If not, then just go from there and you'll feel better about spending more.

Latest posts