Time between major feedings

lafn96

I've noticed that alot of the pics I get from my food plots it seems like the deer are only in there for a few minutes. Just now (10:15-10:30am Thurs morning); had several does in there for about 30 minutes. This is the latest in the morning I've gotten pics; and probably only the 2nd time in this plot that they've been there that long. Unfortunately, no bucks on camera this time or when I went out to watch them with the binos.

I've read deer eat 4-5 times a day, but common sense would tell me if they don't eat for very long their next feeding would likely be sooner. This of course is assuming that they weren't eating alot for that particular feeding outside of the food plot. Haven't seen anything on major/minor deer feedings, and the time inbetween - anybody know or have links to articles on it?

TboneD

This article confirms what I thought it was which is roughly every four to five hours with some fluctuations with weather and such. There's multiple reasons why does are spending more time in fields or food plots now: a lot less acorns in the woods, burning more calories due to cold and being pushed by bucks, enjoying the warmth of the sun due to cold weather, and I believe I might've even read or heard somewhere that does tend to show themselves in open areas more to be visible to bucks when they are starting to go into heat.

Latest posts