The season of my favorite 9-pointer (the rest of the story)

TboneD

The 9 pt I posted about that I got with Justin was my third one that year, and they were each shot really close to each other on some local public ground, all near that fairly young cutover, an older cutover, and near some adjacent private ground with what looked from a distance to be a fairy large food plot.

My bow kill that fall was my best 8 pt. yet, and was with three others that came out of the cutover one afternoon. While the adjacent land owner might've wanted them to visit his food plot every meal, they preferred white oak acorns that afternoon. So I'd climbed high in a hickory since the canopy was high around the two big white oaks. Typical early season, warm afternoon hunt but what made it memorable is that I had no idea how busy and how close the fairly new gun club was! But the bucks didn't care one bit. I could've shot another one if it would've been legal but I think it was because of the not so subtle distraction of all the shotgun blasts. The bucks had obviously just gotten used to it.

Well, the second buck was opening morning of gun season. I'd been borrowing my FIL's 30/06 for too long and just got me my first deer rifle of my own, even with the Missus approval! It was a 270 Win New England Arms Handi Rifle with a black synthetic stock. Nothing fancy, but it shot ok and fit me a lot better than my FIL's Win model 70 with the recoil pad he'd added to an already fairly long length of pull rifle! So when the young 7 pointer presented a shot in the cutover I was happy, especially after seeing him fall, of course. Got me my first buck with my new deer rifle, and out of my late Uncle Charles's Ole Man stand! It was a good morning to say the least!

And then….although I don't remember the color, I'm still 90-something % sure I saw a SUBURU come down the jeep trail to the corner of the cutover. Since I was in orange in one of the trees on the edge I was pretty well exposed. So then whoever it was laid on the horn and jumped out to yell: "DON'T KILL EM ALL!"

I've never been harassed in the woods since, but it could happen again, maybe from a crazy anti-hunter or maybe from somebody that thinks they own all the deer that step foot on their property. Now y'all know the twisted reason why I can appreciate that season, but ESPECIALLY the late season little messed up rack 9 pointer shot on the other side of the cutover (on the way to visit the adjacent land owner's food plot.) 😊

Edit: For clarification, I was never hunting the property line and there's no way the owner of the adjacent property could've known I had been hunting "his" deer. He probably had assumed that someone had taken out "his" 8 pointer and that it had to be someone hunting the public ground where "his deer" liked to spend their days. So I guess he got triggered when he heard me shoot that rifle season opening morning.

Merry Christmas!
Dave

Last edited:

TboneD

For clarification, I was never hunting the property line and there's no way the owner of the adjacent property could've known for sure if I'd been hunting "his" deer. I suppose he assumed someone had taken out "his" 8 pointer and that it had to be someone hunting the public ground where "his deer" liked to spend their days. In any case, he sure got triggered when he heard my shot that rifle season opening morning.

Latest posts