First One of the Season!

Went scouting today and picked this one up.

CE02E2F6-1F61-4B22-94B4-AF864292E36D.jpeg

Had permethrin on my boots but walked through some shoulder high stuff. Should of known better!!

Bear15

Bet I've pulled 40-50 off of me this year. since Turkey season. Of course I'm in the woods a lot in the summer. Plots, stand trimming and straps. Cams, etc… and on multiple farms. Way more this year than usual. Hogs we've trapped were loaded, too. Massive amount of them little bloodsuckers.

BSK

Worse than ticks, are chiggers.
Made the mistake of going into the woods to put up cameras, no permethrin, had 80 chigger bites when I showered. No ticks.
Next trip, knee high boots, legs taped, permethrin soaked clothes, NO chigger bites.
Lesson learned.
I despise chiggers with a passion. Although permethrin is supposed to last 5-6 washings, I don't take any chances. I spray down my outdoor work clothes (ALWAYS wear long sleeves, even in the brutal heat and humidity) with fresh permethrin every time I'm going to put them on. I'm head to toe permethrin, including my hat, boots, everything. And it helps that I'm always wearing snakeboots when in the woods. With pants tucked down into boots, that helps.

Shanman

I despise chiggers with a passion. Although permethrin is supposed to last 5-6 washings, I don't take any chances. I spray down my outdoor work clothes (ALWAYS wear long sleeves, even in the brutal heat and humidity) with fresh permethrin every time I'm going to put them on. I'm head to toe permethrin, including my hat, boots, everything. And it helps that I'm always wearing snakeboots when in the woods. With pants tucked down into boots, that helps.
Same here BSK, head to toe covered in permethrin. Make my own mix and spray clothes down night before, this includes the top of my socks, boots, and snake gaiters. Dry by morning and when I get out of the truck it all gets another dose with Sawyer's. Since starting this regiment several years ago I usually only find a few on me during the summer, always on my back. Thinking they fall off limbs and down my shirt collar. I take my clothes off in the garage when I get home and let them lay on the concrete for a couple of days before bringing in to wash, then do the process all over again before going back out. Like you, I don't care if it lasts 100 washes…. not taking any chances. The permethrin I use is water based, the oil based one has a strong odor and takes forever to get the smell out.

BSK

Same here BSK, head to toe covered in permethrin. Make my own mix and spray clothes down night before, this includes the top of my socks, boots, and snake gaiters. Dry by morning and when I get out of the truck it all gets another dose with Sawyer's. Since starting this regiment several years ago I usually only find a few on me during the summer, always on my back. Thinking they fall off limbs and down my shirt collar. I take my clothes off in the garage when I get home and let them lay on the concrete for a couple of days before bringing in to wash, then do the process all over again before going back out. Like you, I don't care if it lasts 100 washes…. not taking any chances. The permethrin I use is water based, the oil based one has a strong odor and takes forever to get the smell out.
Agree. I think it's the Martins brand concentrate that doesn't have the petroleum base (and heavy oil smell).

CHRIS WILSON

Went scouting today and picked this one up.
Had permethrin on my boots but walked through some shoulder high stuff. Should of known better!!
I've been out scouting and prepping sites multiple times since June. The ticks have been a consistent thing. I wear long sleeves, knee high socks under my pants and everything has a good coat of permethrine. Like BSK and Shanman, it all gets another coat after every wash. I don't care how long they say it's suppose to last.

killingtime 41

Coming from a person that's had Lyme disease you better walk in the woods prepared with permethrin. I had it for years and didn't even know it. I knew something wasn't right but went to the doctors and never got diagnosed. Till about 6 years ago finally got tested. And took antibiotics but damage was done to joints that will never heal completely.

BSK

Coming from a person that's had Lyme disease you better walk in the woods prepared with permethrin. I had it for years and didn't even know it. I knew something wasn't right but went to the doctors and never got diagnosed. Till about 6 years ago finally got tested. And took antibiotics but damage was done to joints that will never heal completely.
The longer you go without treating Lyme disease, the worse the permanent damage. I had a High School fiend whot went 10 years before diagnosis and she died of complications from it.

Gobble4me757

The longer you go without treating Lyme disease, the worse the permanent damage. I had a High School fiend whot went 10 years before diagnosis and she died of complications from it.
Yep…I know someone who was super healthy ended up not knowing he got bit and ended up with type 1 diabetes cause it fried his pancreas…guy worked for ups and super in shape

CHRIS WILSON

Left untreated, it's a really insidious disease causing a multitude of issues from joint damage, neurological issues, heart valve damage and so on. I've got a few friends that are still dealing with ongoing neurological issues due to long term, untreated Lyme disease. It's crazy stuff.

BSK

Left untreated, it's a really insidious disease causing a multitude of issues from joint damage, neurological issues, heart valve damage and so on. I've got a few friends that are still dealing with ongoing neurological issues due to long term, untreated Lyme disease. It's crazy stuff.
That is what my High School friend died of - heart damage caused by the long-term effects Lymes disease.

Latest posts