Statewide Boar Season W/ dogs

ibfishin

I went to Big South Fork a couple weeks ago and hunted, when I stopped at the store up there to buy my $5.00 hog permit the woman at the store asked if I had some dogs. I told her I thought it was illegal to use dogs. This is what she told me "There are several people around here that hunt em with dogs, then kill em with a knife"

Guess they done killed em all cause I seen little sign and no hogs in 3 days hiking them mountains!!

mike243

i was up there several years ago & a big hound with a tracking collar came to the truck,reckon the park rangers might turn thier head about some folks,mike243

rukiddin

You will never, repeat NEVER kill out pigs once they get started. Their way too smart, and a lot of the "weekend warriors" that hunt them don't understand them. Other southeastern states that allow dog hunting for them and liberal seasons, have not eliminated them yet, so what makes anyone thank that hog dogs are goin to lower the numbers. I know of places where they are shot at day and night by professionals and trapped heavily and this has been goin on for 50+ years, and there's still pigs there.
Also, the only true "wild boars"..ie pure blooded european descent are goin to be found in a high fence/shooting preserve. All others may have started out that way, but they have a lot of feral genes in them, but the european gene is strong ehough to show those characteristics.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
bsl said:
Where are you from?Here in TN. we consider wild boar as wild game animals.Just because you believe they are livestock doesn't mean that they are.the wild boar don't belong to your "clients"they belong to the people of tn. you are stealing from the people when you ignore the law and do what you want to do.
They are not Native wild game. They are in a class by themselves.Many are either escaped or released livestock. They were introduced into the wild. Some by farmers that let them free range in the past when it was a accepted practice.The Russian Wild Boar were released in some cases.They have also escaped from game preserves.They are a exotic invasive that are destroying land and habit all across Tn. and the Southern United States.They are a problem that current methods of control have not stopped. Thier numbers are increaseing thier range is spreading.As the problem gets worse we will have to find other means of control. Hunting with dogs seems to be the most effective method found in surrounding states that are attempting to control them.

AlabamaSwamper

You absolutely "can" control them with dogs if you use them enough. I know of a few properties in Wayne County where they were eliminated or moved but who cares, they are gone now.

Point is, you sure can't control them with simple hunting or walking around. They are way to smart for that. They have a 31 day season on a small wma near my house with mzl's and they can't even put a dent in them.

Why on earth the TWRA won't back a season or the opening up year round dog hunting for them things is beyond me. I'm sick and tired of them crying the "turning more loose" crap.

Well, at least the deer doggers have found something else to do now and mainly stay away from us. lol

I'm all for them closing it during deer season if they want, like they do with coyotes.

ohio state

been to big south fork a few times most of the hogs is in the safe zones?? cannot hunt in a safe zone.. killed one a few years ago in rugby.. seen a male that wood go close to 400 pounds easy.. i' killed is old lady... thanks WORM

A

Anonymous

It's almost time to load a dog and take a walk. Two more days of turkey huntin and then it's on. Of course, hearin turkeys gobble after sunday is going to kill me.

Grizzly Johnson

This is straight from the Tn Hunting Guide:

It is well documented that the introduction
of exotic species has often led to the
decline of native species. Most of the time,
these declines go unnoticed because they
occur in the less obtrusive bird, fish, and
insect world. Unfortunately that is not always
the case. There is an invader in Tennessee that happens to
be one of the largest and most destructive animals in the
nation, it is the feral hog.

Sus scrofa, otherwise known as the pig, was introduced
to North America by the first European settlers. Although
they have long been domesticated and are an extremely
popular farm animal, free-ranging feral hogs are a different
animal altogether. Their voracious appetite and destructive
rooting behavior can cause severe habitat damage, especially
to fields that have been planted for food production. Compounding
the problem is the fact that the female pigs (sows)
can produce 2-3 litters per year, with each litter ranging in
size of 6-12 piglets. Considering young pigs become sexually
mature at 6-8 months you can easily see the nightmarish
reproductive capacity of these animals.

Besides the destructive nature of the hogs the greatest
single threat comes from their potential to transmit swine
brucellosis and pseudorabies to farm raised animals, both of
which would have serious effects on Tennessee�s agricultural
economy. Therefore, feral hogs are definitely a major threat
to all Tennessee residents.

In just over a decade, the distribution of Tennessee�s feral
hog population has spread at an alarming rate. Although
first confined to small pockets in East Tennessee and the
Cumberland Plateau, it is now estimated that viable hog
populations can be found in close to a third of Tennessee�s
counties. We need to stop the spread, and stop the spread
now. [color:#FF0000]Feral hog season is open year-round on private lands
with no bag limits whatsoever. In other words, we want
you to kill as many hogs as possible to slow their spread.
[/color]
So please help us take aim at controlling feral hog populations.

NOTE: Releasing feral hogs is a federal offense and is in
violation of USDA regulations. Anyone providing information
leading to the arrest and conviction of individuals
releasing feral hogs may be eligible for a $100 reward.

A

Anonymous

What's highlighted in red says it all. If TWRA wants to keep numbers in check, and they should, then why not use ALL methods available to do so, especially the most effective method. I have no problems with TWRA and the way in which it manages game and fish. Some of the best deer and turkey huntin around can be found on public lands run by TWRA and they are in large part, the reason for it. However, when it comes to the issue of wild hog hunting, they need to seriously rethink there reasoning.