Should be a great elk season

Turkeychaser

Leaving for DIY AK Moose in a month...

started training a few weeks ago, now up to 75 minutes on treadmill at 3.3 mph at 12%incline with 35lb pack on.... need to work up to 50lbs for at least 60 min, but feet are starting to hurt :) Never been this hungry in my entire life, burning around 900 calories per session.
I had a family vacation in Alaska in June. Seeing the moose gave me the fever. I look forward to your report after the hunt!

JCDEERMAN

S

Same here. Missed the last two years due to swapping/rebuilding farms. No more. I'm headed that way in a month. Oughta be fun I'm in the worst shape ofmy life lol
But you know, even at peak shape, nothing accounts to the elevation change. I have been in really good shape and young - I remember taking off and running to cut off some muleys. I ran about 100 yards and had to lay on the ground and sounded like a dying hyena trying to breathe 🤣. Totally different game out there at 7,000+ feet

Mattt

But you know, even at peak shape, nothing accounts to the elevation change. I have been in really good shape and young - I remember taking off and running to cut off some muleys. I ran about 100 yards and had to lay on the ground and sounded like a dying hyena trying to breathe 🤣. Totally different game out there at 7,000+ feet
See ordinarily I work out there all summer until my tag is valid. Drag up and hunt till season is over or tag is filled so no that's not my issue. I've done prettt much nothing the last two years so when I say worst shape of my life I mean it. I'm 51 and at 49 could run at 11k all day. FairPlay and Leadville are two places I spend a lot of time like live there for extended periods. Have always had an edge this year I will suffer. Physical conditioning for me has everything to do with how well I adapt to altitude. It may not help you but it's night and day for alot of us

ThorThor

Headed to the Gila next weekend to get ready for 1st season archery opener Sept 1. My cousin has the lucky draw tag. Iam going with my buddy to call for him and have fun without the pressure. Work my butt off all year to try and be homeless for weeks at a time. I love it.

Rebel

I know that feeling as well. When I was still in my twenties we were between Purgatory and Silverton in CO camping and hunting, The first & 2nd nights I woke up gasping for breath. I think the elevation up there is around 9,000 feet. I clearly recall Molas Pass was a mile up the road and it's 10,000 feet.

JCDEERMAN

I know that feeling as well. When I was still in my twenties we were between Purgatory and Silverton in CO camping and hunting, The first & 2nd nights I woke up gasping for breath. I think the elevation up there is around 9,000 feet. I clearly recall Molas Pass was a mile up the road and it's 10,000 feet.
I've hunted at 10,000 feet a few times. If just hiking, it's not too bad. But getting in a hurry after a bugling elk, you have to pace yourself. After a few days, your body adjusts some. If I was a fugitive or running for my life, I'd probably have pull the opossum technique 🤣

AT Hiker

I've hunted at 10,000 feet a few times. If just hiking, it's not too bad. But getting in a hurry after a bugling elk, you have to pace yourself. After a few days, your body adjusts some. If I was a fugitive or running for my life, I'd probably have pull the opossum technique 🤣
Few years back I was scouting around Durango. Spent a lot of time above 13k, I felt like I was walking on the moon. Every movement was slow motion, lol.

So far I've been fortunate with altitude but I've seen people get sick at 6k.
I try to spend the year maximizing my vac V02, maybe it helps, idk. It sure helps with stamina though.

Latest posts