Cow elk hunt

NChunt1

Looking for some recommendations on States and guides to possibly go on a guided cow hunt for me and my brother. Have never done any elk hunting but have been wanting to try and would really like to just get our toes wet with something we could afford And at least get some general idea about the whole western hunting about where we might want to apply for tags in the future. Any one have any advice on which direction they would steer if the just wanted to go possibly harvest a cow not even opposed to a guided hunt. Completely open to any states just try to get some general advice on elk hunting anyone is willing to give thanks

Madbowh

Colorado has the biggest herd, great opportunities. I think they'll have the easiest tags to get but the terrain can be tough(I know an 80 year old that does it every year) unless you get on private land. Decide your budget first, unguided drop camp would be the cheapest $3500(tag, camp, pack in/out) per person just goes up from there.

I have a guy that has private land(couple thousand acres) can stay at his place, bring a camper, tent, motel. He's got horses and 4 wheelers to use. He's usually booked 2 year in advance. If you end up going on unguided go in 2025, this year will mostly be booked and lots of prep and planning, I think 2024 is too quick for a first timer IMO at this point.

Madbowh

Also the applications for tags start march 1st in CO Secondary draw is in June. Last year they cut 8700 cow tags in CO this caused there to only be 1 leftover to buy last year normally there dozens left. Not sure if any states messed with tags this year or not.

Kahrman

IMG_1841.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7659.jpeg
    IMG_7659.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7660.jpeg
    IMG_7660.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7658.jpeg
    IMG_7658.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7655.jpeg
    IMG_7655.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7654.jpeg
    IMG_7654.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7705.jpeg
    IMG_7705.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7704.jpeg
    IMG_7704.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 13

tellico4x4

Nothing, they make their money from outfitters. I've booked quite a few hunts over the years thru them. Butch Manasse son Ed is running it now, good family business. I've hunted with Butch & his wife a couple times. Butch is from Cheyenne but think Ed is running it from FL.

Am sure they can get you on one for this year and not cost a ton of money for a cow. I've snagged several discounted hunts over the years where someone forfeited a deposit, or needed one more guy to fill a spot.

Hit me up with any questions.

tellico4x4

Another option on private ranch, 100% turnkey with exception of purchasing license & tip. Private land is soooo much better, especially for first time.
Edit: Fun part of hunting around Chama is that you'll see some big bulls that really get you fired up😁

Last edited:

Latest posts