Statewide Boar Season W/ dogs

trealtree

With the expanding range of the hogs across the state, I wonder if the state will open a hunting season statewide with dogs allowed.

Maybe 2 weeks in february or late Jan.

It seems dogs are the most efficient way to hunt them since they are primarily nocturnal.

mike243

i was told yesterday that a fellar from crossville has a lease in another county & that the game warden give them permission to use dogs anytime no deer season was open,dont know if its a tall tail or truth,the problem of allowing dogs will be trespassing issues,if dogs bay a boar the hunters need to go to it or risk losing some dogs,mike243

trealtree

No different with coon hunting. Except for the dogs getting hurt part. Every coon dog I have hunted with will not leave a tree until the owner gets there.

A

Anonymous

I try and help the state out with the ever growing wild hog population on a weekly basis, with or without their permission. They need to wise up to the fact that hunting year around with guns has no effect on their numbers. Catching them with dogs and trapping must also be factored in to attempt to keep their numbers in check. Maybe one of these days they will stop giving us fines and start paying hogmen like myself for our services.

trealtree

I would love to be able to legally hunt some hogs w/ dogs. I was reading a webpage about hunting hogs with jagdterriers in texas and it got me to thinking why TN doesnt allow hog hunting on private land throughout the state. Looks like alot of fun.

A

Anonymous

I provide a service to those landowners who have wild hog "problems". Where I'm from, wild hogs are considered tresspassing livestock, which is just what they are, livestock. No state or federal agency should have the right to tell a landowner how to "catch" livestock on their property. The only people I expect to appreciate my services are those whom I am helping with their problem.

ibfishin

I thought the only "wild boar" were located on Catoosa, Cherokee and a couple other WMA's. The rest are just feral hogs. Every TWRA person I have talked to says how much they dislike them, but then they have laws to protect them. Like the game warden at Catoosa told me when I killed my hog up there "We wish they was all gone". But he also said the population grows every year. If they are such a problem then allow them to be killed by any means possible, including dogs or baiting.

As the old folks used to say "It's hog killin time"

A

Anonymous

bsl said:
Where are you from?Here in TN. we consider wild boar as wild game animals.Just because you believe they are livestock doesn't mean that they are.the wild boar don't belong to your "clients"they belong to the people of tn. you are stealing from the people when you ignore the law and do what you want to do.
I'm from Florida, where we consider a "wild boar" a male wild hog. The game commission in this state needs to learn how to use the dog hunters as a tool instead of trying to outlaw us. Either way, the population of wild hogs will continue to grow each year making me a happy man. :grin:

trealtree

Maybe they really are wanting the population to get as large as florida and texas so they can then open the season up and get more money. Sounds like a good idea.

PickettSFHunter

bsl said:
warrent423 said:
I try and help the state out with the ever growing wild hog population on a weekly basis, with or without their permission. They need to wise up to the fact that hunting year around with guns has no effect on their numbers. Catching them with dogs and trapping must also be factored in to attempt to keep their numbers in check. Maybe one of these days they will stop giving us fines and start paying hogmen like myself for our services.

your just a poacher in my book if you are hunting with dogs or baiting or trapping illegaly.Don't expect to many people on here to appreciate your illegal hunts.

warrent423 boasts about his poaching on here all the time. Makes me wonder if the TWRA doesnt notice his boasts or what.

DBLAARCHERY

The problem with hogs are...They reach breeding maturity in 6-8 months...That is insane...Do the math...If one hog has 5 babies and in 6 months they each have 5 babys plus the mother again has 5 babys...That is 30 hogs produced by one hog in one year...I agree that you should never hunt or kill animals while breaking a law that Tn has put forth...On the other hand...For those of you that want to protect hogs, think again...I am from Texas and hogs although are fun to kill and good to eat, are destroying farm lands...Look at Alabama and Georgia...Hundreds of thousands of dollars are lost due to hogs rooting the ground in peanut fields...They are not wild hogs they are ferrel hogs which in return are domestic pigs with out a fence...If they come to your home you will see... :eek:

A

Anonymous

steven stone said:
bsl said:
warrent423 said:

your just a poacher in my book if you are hunting with dogs or baiting or trapping illegaly.Don't expect to many people on here to appreciate your illegal hunts.

warrent423 boasts about his poaching on here all the time. Makes me wonder if the TWRA doesnt notice his boasts or what.
Maybe someday soon they will contact me about a job oppurtunity.

scn

warrent423 said:
steven stone said:
bsl said:
warrent423 said:

Maybe someday soon they will contact me about a job oppurtunity.

Dream on. LOL.

JimFromTN

If you look in the regs, TWRA wants you to kill any hog you see on private property. They sound more like pests than big game. If they are a pest and not big game then why not allow hunting with dogs, bait, or even at night. It doesn't make sense unless they are worried that the dogs will start running deer or may cause some other problem that may hurt the natural ecosystems worse than the hogs already are. Then again, they might be more worried about the ethics of the hunters using the dogs, ie shooting deer and other game species off of dogs and out of season.

AlabamaSwamper

Heck, in Arkansas, you don't even need a license to hunt them on private land. THink they want them around?

Tennessee needs to wise up and understand that the threat of folks turning them loose is over. Already happened in many places.

That or make it really easy to get permits to do it.

Lots of folks around here do it already though.

PickettSFHunter

I have talked to some TWRA guys about this here lately. Basically the idea is this, If it was allowed, people would start hunting with dogs pretty heavy, eventually the hog population would be knocked back pretty well. Then you have a bunch of hog/dog hunters that dont have many hogs to hunt. Since they would have been doing this legally for years by this time and would have been greatly enjoying it, they wouldnt want to just stop when hog numbers get knocked back. They would want to increase those numbers again by illegally stocking more hogs.

A

Anonymous

Their going to continue to be restocked regardless of being legal or not. This is going to result in more hogs no matter how you look at it. If the game commision dances around this fact long enough, this state will really have a hog problem in the very near future.

Latest posts