Boar Hunting

Planking

Thermal hunting is here to stay. There's a thermal hunting hog contest here in a couple weeks. Same place put in on few years now.
Riding around in a truck on a public road monitoring other people's land at night with an electronic device is anything but hunting.

Ochunter

Riding around in a truck on a public road monitoring other people's land at night with an electronic device is anything but hunting.
Your exactly right it's not hunting it's the eradication of and invasive species. I've killed feral hogs with thermal since 2015. Landowners we hunt on our thankful and we are constantly getting new access to different properties all the time. Sometimes we see hogs were we don't have a permit we record the hogs threw our thermal then show the landowner and most of the time we gain access to that property too.

Planking

Your exactly right it's not hunting it's the eradication of and invasive species. I've killed feral hogs with thermal since 2015. Landowners we hunt on our thankful and we are constantly getting new access to different properties all the time. Sometimes we see hogs were we don't have a permit we record the hogs threw our thermal then show the landowner and most of the time we gain access to that property too.
Doesn't appear to be eradication of an invasive species to me. After all the crimes we have had to endure because of it, it has more in common with a crime.

"Stalking is a crime of power and control. It is a course of action directed at an individual that causes the victim to fear for their safety, and generally involves repeated visual or physical proximity, nonconsensual communication, and verbal, written, or implied threats.

Research shows that victims of stalking are more likely to experience anxiety, insomnia, social dysfunction, and severe depression compared to the general population.

Stalking is a crime in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., the U.S. Territories, and the Federal Government. Each year, January is recognized as National Stalking Awareness Month in an effort to educate the public about serious—and at times deadly—crime of stalking."

Ochunter

Doesn't appear to be eradication of an invasive species to me. After all the crimes we have had to endure because of it, it has more in common with a crime.

"Stalking is a crime of power and control. It is a course of action directed at an individual that causes the victim to fear for their safety, and generally involves repeated visual or physical proximity, nonconsensual communication, and verbal, written, or implied threats.

Research shows that victims of stalking are more likely to experience anxiety, insomnia, social dysfunction, and severe depression compared to the general population.

Stalking is a crime in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., the U.S. Territories, and the Federal Government. Each year, January is recognized as National Stalking Awareness Month in an effort to educate the public about serious—and at times deadly—crime of stalking."

We gonna keep on eradicating.

Planking

We gonna keep on eradicating.
That's what makes narcissism such a terrible disease. There is no cure and the people who have it don't realize that they have the disease.

If you guys were actually interested in "eradicating" you would be using a trap instead of a thermal. All that is is justification for illegal hunting methods and their related crimes.

Ochunter

That's what makes narcissism such a terrible disease. There is no cure and the people who have it don't realize that they have the disease.

If you guys were actually interested in "eradicating" you would be using a trap instead of a thermal. All that is is justification for illegal hunting methods and their related crimes.
We use both methods.

Atchman2

I hunt them in Northern Anderson county on private property. There used to be a LOT of them there until the state exterminated a bunch of them. I second the New River area. That is where I have the private property. In the last few years, I have seen exactly two hogs during daylight hours. That is because of the ORVs running all through that area from Windrock.

GreeneGriz

Trapping works…. But we never seen a decrease in hog numbers where we hunt until the dog and the thermal guys were given permission to do whatever they needed to get rid of them.
Fast forward 2 years and besides one lone boar passing thru our property last summer it 2022, the 10-12 cameras we have out and in year around haven't taken a pic of a hog since.

Atchman2

Trapping works…. But we never seen a decrease in hog numbers where we hunt until the dog and the thermal guys were given permission to do whatever they needed to get rid of them.
Fast forward 2 years and besides one lone boar passing thru our property last summer it 2022, the 10-12 cameras we have out and in year around haven't taken a pic of a hog since.
Someone trapped our property with the Landowner permission. Since then the numbers are basically single boars that roam through randomly. I did see a sow and three little ones on a camera recently. I would say by October the little ones will be roasting pig size. :)

I have stopped baiting for a while to try and keep the bears away. They ruin all hunting and destroy anything they find. However, I'm going to start back up this week just to see what is around. Bear season is coming up in October and if they are the only thing around that is what I'm going to hunt.

338lapuaman

Sounds like a whole lot of butt hurt because of the lack of funds or the lack of willingness to spend the funds as a price to play the game. I hunt hogs in Alabama and we run into a lot of the same problems is the farmers/landowners want them gone so bad for destroying their crops and pastures and fields they turn a blind eye to the ones "road hunting" by any methods and means out of spite and hatred for the destruction they cause which in turn takes money out of their pockets. I started hunting them with just deer rifles and then moved to Night Vision and now on to Thermals and cell cam gate traps. Its the nature of the beast that comes along with technology. It has happened in everything I have ever enjoyed doing from sports to fishing to golf to various types of hunting I use to enjoy doing. The days of hard work and talents and abilities and skills and doing the right thing through means and methods driven by integrity and the value of a person's word are LONG GONE largely in part thanks to technology and hatred of hogs and people taking advantage of non-hunters and land owners. This is directed at no one individual because I ABSOLUTELY HATE people who break the law when I am trying to do the right thing to achieve my goals but with society and technology evolving every day, the way I had to look at it was "If I want to continue to do the things I enjoy doing, am I willing to ante up and pay the price it takes to participate in what I love to do or throw all my hunting gear in the same pile as my golf clubs and fishing gear and other sports equipment" I can see both sides of the argument I didn't particularly want to buy a $1000 night vision scope and light I didn't particularly want to buy a $4000 thermal scope or a $4000 trap setup but my want to be successful in what I love to do greatly outweighed my frugal ways to still having exclusive rights to hunt some of the prime wildlife habitat by trying to help others out and it will reap larger rewards rather than complaining and pouting. The road hunters will always be road hunters. For some people its the thrill of killing and not getting caught, for others its the laziness of not going through the hard work it takes to be successful and taking all the short cuts and easy way out. The only drawback for thermal sights is basically it made the outlaws harder to catch since the night vision and thermals don't project a t light beam detectable to the human eye which makes them harder to catch.....and factor in suppressors its almost virtually impossible unless the wardens are setting up dummy decoys and using thermal themselves. Like Ochunter said Thermal is here to stay and there's NOTHING anyone can do about it.....either pay to play or quit hating on the ones that do.

Last edited: