Stands

JDS

Vermin93":3hltgp8e said:
I don't know much about XOP. Are they pushing Chinese-made or US-made product?

I'm honestly not sure. It would be nice to know. I will see if I can find out.

PillsburyDoughboy

I did the majority of my early career hunting from the ground. Mostly sat on logs and stumps.

As I have gotten older I just like the comfort of a nice two man tree stand. I carry in a foam seat so I am always sitting on something dry.

I do have a ground blind that I like for really cold days and rainy days.

Mixing it up is good.

fairchaser

DC02":1d2jagi3 said:
When you used this set up on public land, did leave your hang-on there or take it down each time(to find a new location)? The reason I ask is I ran into that situation this weekend, not able to find a tree to climb in the area I wanted to hunt. Plus I am a first timer using a climber and having a little bit of trouble keeping it level. Any advise is welcome and appreciated!

It takes some practice to learn how much to tilt your stand prior to ascent. The larger the base compared to the trunk the more tilt you need. I took some wood blocks and drilled a hole to slide over my chain. If my stand is tilted down any it feels like you will slide out. Very uncomfortable compared to tilting back toward the tree. I use the blocks to shorten the chain or cable if needed. If you get high up in the tree and it feels like you are starting to tilt down, come down the tree some until you level out. Once you learn where the best position of the chain is on a particular tree you can mark it or count the notches and put a reminder in your cell phone. You can also take your pocket knife and mark a spot on the tree at height so you know how high to go in the dark. Once you get comfortable with your climber you will love it. Good hunting!

fairchaser

Mature bucks require versatility and the element of surprise. If you want to bring your A game you will need different types of stands for different situations. However, there is nothing quite as portable as a climber and nothing quite as versatile as a lock on. I am convinced mature bucks will avoid ladder stands even though they have been there for a long time. Ladders can however be used for gun hunting where you can shoot long ranges or over fields.

Mike Belt

You're going to find different climbing trees in different areas. I keep a note pad in the truck listing which holes align up perfect for which trees I intend to climb on any given hunt. This takes all the guess work out of climbing except for the initial climb. I hate it when trees drastically change sizes going up. Sometimes you have to start off at such a great angle it's almost impossible to even get into the stand. They do have several climbers on the market that are adjustable on the fly. I know the Old man stands can adjust up to 5" with just the twist of a handle.

PillsburyDoughboy

fairchaser":3dj5h7ls said:
Mature bucks require versatility and the element of surprise. If you want to bring your A game you will need different types of stands for different situations. However, there is nothing quite as portable as a climber and nothing quite as versatile as a lock on. I am convinced mature bucks will avoid ladder stands even though they have been there for a long time. Ladders can however be used for gun hunting where you can shoot long ranges or over fields.

Not so.

Some of the biggest "mature" bucks I have killed have been killed from ladder stands. Ive got plenty of trail cam pics in and around my ladder stands that disprove this theory.

Its a matter of how they are set up. I tend to brush mine in at ground level and apply some lines of paint to break up the outline.

Latest posts