Stands

JDS

I have a climber and there are several permanent stands the property I hunt. I find those permanent stands get hammered as they are way too convenient to walk in to. My climber seems to be problematic in that several of the area I go to there aren't any trees fit to climb. Way too many large limbs or not straight or too big for climber and so forth. This is leading me down the path of climbing sticks and a strap on. I know that this works very well for some and that the weight will be comparable to my climber. I am curious if any of you are doing this and if so what stand are you using? I am seeing that most of the lighter sticks XOP and Lone Wolf for example are about the same price but the stands are priced all over the map. Is there a difference? Is the one piece all aluminum stands like XOP and Lone Wolf the way to go? Just looking for opinions from those with experience?

TN Whitetail Freak I assume you use this method, if so what do you use, what is your experience with it?

Thanks again

JDS

Grandslam11":lhxtj7m4 said:
The more I hunt, the more I am liking the lock on stands. However, my lock on usually stay in the woods. I do not treat them like I do my climber.

That's not a bad thought. Buy a few strap ons and leave them in. Only caring the climbing sticks in and out so others can't use them or steal them. Haven't thought of that before. I know this isn't exactly what you meant but your comments got me thinking along this line.

tree_ghost

Mobility is key especially when hunting a mature deer. The scenario you. describe seems tailor made for a lock on and sticks. There are a ton of people who swear by the lone wolf's I don't own one but I will be investing in an XOP next year. I use a climber now but I am limited to the trees available to me. A "mobile" lock on would give me the freedom of a climber but with more options for trees...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

All hunters need at least 2 different type stands; a climber and a hang on. There are many places where you need to set up where there just aren't any trees that can be climbed, particularly around field edges. This is where the hang on comes into play. There are a lot of brands as well as climbing systems. Whatever you get, I'd recommend getting the climbing system utilizing sections rather than just a ladder. This way you can "weave" yourself up and around the tree dodging limbs that might otherwise might have to be cut.

cozy23

I invested in the Muddy rope cam sticks and the new Hawk Helium lock on this year. I've only hunted out of it once so far but I can definitely see the benefit of having the set up. We have ladder stands in most spots but if I wanted to hunt a new spot, I wouldn't be able to with my climber. I also hunted public land quite a bit the last couple of years which was the main reason for purchasing the set up. I bought the Muddy sticks from Muddy.com over the summer. They were on sale for pretty cheap. Check out their Bargain Cave.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DC02

When you used this set up on public land, did leave your hang-on there or take it down each time(to find a new location)? The reason I ask is I ran into that situation this weekend, not able to find a tree to climb in the area I wanted to hunt. Plus I am a first timer using a climber and having a little bit of trouble keeping it level. Any advise is welcome and appreciated!

landman

I hunt 99% on my own place, Ladder stands at this time in my life, plus shooting houses and like DA said on the ground in the right areas

ImThere

I have an aluminum lock on that is lighter than my climbers and I can be up a tree in about the same amount of time. I am currently working on getting a saddle to use with my sticks and lighten the load

the one and only "ImThere"

String Music

You cannot beat a Lone Wolf Alpha II and 4 sticks. I would go with XOP's climbing sticks if I was doing it again.

You can also buy cheap climbing sticks and leave them attached to the tree and carry in your lock on.

Hunter 257W

Deer Assassin":3t6bw44w said:
hunt from the ground

That's my thinking too. I hunt from a fold-up Turkey stool the vast majority of the time. I may not get as many shots at older bucks as a hunter in a tree but I sure don't run the risk of falling and breaking every bone in my body that a tree hunter does either. Plus it offers infinite flexibility for moving with every sit.

infoman jr.

String Music":a1i8m5v5 said:
You cannot beat a Lone Wolf Alpha II and 4 sticks. I would go with XOP's climbing sticks if I was doing it again.

You can also buy cheap climbing sticks and leave them attached to the tree and carry in your lock on.
The property I mostly hunt has several trees with climbing sticks but no stand. Hanging sticks is the hard part. Hanging the stand just takes a second.

That said, I often use my Muddy lockon and sticks to stay mobile. It's slow, but worth it.

JDS

String Music":zrgjq3um said:
I would go with XOP's climbing sticks if I was doing it again.

Why choose XOP if doing it again? Do they offer something LW doesn't? I found set of 4 of XOP cheaper by $20 than set of 4 LW but $20 won't break the bank. Just curious and want to get as much info as possible before I purchase. Thanks

String Music

JDS":26j5a1ea said:
String Music":26j5a1ea said:
I would go with XOP's climbing sticks if I was doing it again.

Why choose XOP if doing it again? Do they offer something LW doesn't? I found set of 4 of XOP cheaper by $20 than set of 4 LW but $20 won't break the bank. Just curious and want to get as much info as possible before I purchase. Thanks

I'm referring to the new XOP sticks. They also sell some that are identical to the LW sticks. I love the new features on the their new sticks.

TN Whitetail Freak

Xop just released a climbing stick similar to lone wolf except an upgraded step....I personally don't own a lock on but I'm wanting to get an XOP air raid soon.....it's a lonewolf made with the exception of the "I" beam that connects seat to platform

Simpleman.2

JDS":3i1vs906 said:
Grandslam11":3i1vs906 said:
The more I hunt, the more I am liking the lock on stands. However, my lock on usually stay in the woods. I do not treat them like I do my climber.

That's not a bad thought. Buy a few strap ons and leave them in. Only caring the climbing sticks in and out so others can't use them or steal them. Haven't thought of that before. I know this isn't exactly what you meant but your comments got me thinking along this line.

I have a buddy does this except he leaves all his climbing sticks attached to the tree except the Bottom one which he carries in and out with him. He likes it.

Latest posts