Stand setup question

Jon54

I just gained access to a new piece of property and I've not had time to adequately scout out the area. The property was select cut about 3 years ago and the woods are thicker than thick. The property does have several logging trails that run through the property. Saturday, I walked several of these trails and found numerous tracks so I assume the deer prefer the easy way to get around.

I found one area where a trail was several feet below the ground to its side. It's almost like someone bulldozed the trail thru a hill. My thought was to use this part of the trail as a funnel if you will and put a stand on the hill overlooking the trail. My question is whether this logic is sound or will deer avoid this area because of a feeling that they are walking into an ambush spot. Muzzle loader season is just around the corner and I need to get some stands up.

Also, how long before the tops of the timbered trees decay so you can get around? I sense these woods are full of deer but every piece of ground with trees are amazingly thick.

Boll Weevil

I've hunted areas like you describe and deer won't hesitate to use those roads within a grown up cutover oftentimes with no real pattern...they just meander throughout, nibble on browse, rest, and stay away from hunters. They feel perfectly fine easing in/out of the thicket onto the roads all day and you may be able to narrow stand locations down to 2 simply things: wind and visibility. Get where you can see, and pick spots where either the wind is in your favor or you can get up high enough is well above a deer's nose.

Latest posts