Best tree stand setup for a property

HottyToddy

Just secured a lease, and I'll need to start acquiring stands to set up. I can't decide which route to go:
2 or 3 ladder stands for ~$200/ea
4 or 5 hang ons for ~$75/ea with one set of sticks I move between
1 climber and maybe a ladder stand

I have VERY little tree stand experience, so don't really know which direction to head. I've only ever been in a ladder stand, and I liked how secure and comfortable it was, but they're expensive and annoying to move. Climbers kind of scare me as they seem pretty unstable.

The lease is about 2,900 acres, so plenty of room to spread out. Just don't know what the best bang for my buck will be.

Thanks!

Omega

If it was me...and it was not but a few months ago, I would get ladder stands vs lock-ons. They are a bit more secure than lock-ons, IMO, and while the straps are important, they don't take as much stress as the lock-on straps/chain/cable. Also, you don't have to worry about having to move the sticks around if you decide to move during your hunt.

Climbers have come a long way, once you get used to them, they are pretty safe (use the harness!!) and the good thing is that you can get a decent one for less than all the ladders and lock-ons you would need to cover the area.

JeepKuntry

Just my opinion but a quality ladder stand will be far more comfortable for long sits over the lock on. I would get a climber for mobility. Then try to find ladder stands to setup on field edges, food plots, edges of thickets.

Snake

locon and lightweight climbing sticks. hate ladders. too visible and way too heavy to move around
You can set up ladder stand were it's not as visible if you keep that in mind . Putting stands in trees that had multiple trunks helps but I will agree that they are more visible and more difficult to move but IMO more comfortable.

Omega

locon and lightweight climbing sticks. hate ladders. too visible and way too heavy to move around
I wouldn't worry about the visibility part, this is out in the middle of a TVA right-of-way, after a bit the deer don't care. While in a stand, you are as visible in a ladder as you are in a lock-on or climber, just don't move around a bunch and you will be ok.
J3lQeDE.jpg

BSK

If I were just starting out, the first stand I would get would be a good climber. Very portable, and I wouldn't be limited in where I could hunt by a limited number of ladder stands. Then I would add a ladder stand or two per year after that. I prefer the ease and quiet of getting in and out of a ladder, but I would easily choose one climber over only two or three ladders.

arctic_cat

Just secured a lease, and I'll need to start acquiring stands to set up. I can't decide which route to go:

I have VERY little tree stand experience, so don't really know which direction to head. I've only ever been in a ladder stand, and I liked how secure and comfortable it was, but they're expensive and annoying to move. Climbers kind of scare me as they seem pretty unstable.

The lease is about 2,900 acres, so plenty of room to spread out. Just don't know what the best bang for my buck will be.

Thanks!
Need any help hunting it? I come with a few ladder stands, a climber, and a shooting house. 😀

Jon54

Thanks!
I have plans for hand built ladder stands. When I started hunting 30 years ago, I built several of these and they were quite good. Only issue was toting them to the hunting spots. Very comfortable..

philsanchez76

Thanks!
I'd say grab a tree saddle and a good set of climbing sticks for your first season at a new lease. Im assuming you are new to all this ground so it'll take you at least a year or 2 to really figure out what's going on. So for the first 2 seasons it's kind of pointless to set up a semi permanent stand. The tree saddle and sticks allow you to hunt wherever you need to very quickly. Then after a season or 2 you could identify the hot spots and set more permanent ladder stands.

Ski

I'm a fan of big lock on stands. They've been more comfortable to me than the ladder stands I've had. I really like the over size hang on from Academy. It's all day comfy and costs about $100. 20ft ladders cost about $75. HSS safety line costs $30. Good ratchet straps are $20-$30. I have a dozen or so of those set-ups and although they do cost a bit when everything is added up, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. They're semi-permanent, very safe, and very comfortable. They can also be hung in pretty much any tree without being too noticeable.

I use a Summit climber when mobile. They're comfortable and safe but my gripe is that I need a straight tree between 10"-20". Unfortunately those trees and good hunting spots don't always align.

Congrats on the lease. 2900 acres is like having your own WMA all to yourself!!!

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

IMO it depends on what your hunting style is. I use them all. When I need a mind clearing hunt I go ladder. Mostly though I'm bow hunting in hang on and occasionally the climber. That's a huge piece of ground, I'd hate to be confined via ladder.

JCDEERMAN

All depends on your athletic ability and others on the lease. If very able, a saddle to figure out the deer movement. The staple is a good climber. Both provide you the ability to bounce around. Do you have it locked in to have the place for a while? With that amount of acreage, I'd have a climber and bounce around.

A lot more to it in regards to finding the locations and trees, but if it were me in your shoes, I'd get a comfortable climber and practice in it all summer. You'll be good to go come fall. Best of luck!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
You can set up ladder stand were it's not as visible if you keep that in mind . Putting stands in trees that had multiple trunks helps but I will agree that they are more visible and more difficult to move but IMO more comfortable.
I always make it a point to find multiple trunks. With a little Camo netting hung up you can keep movement pretty well hidden. Extra trunks give you a much wider range of safe shots.

Latest posts