OnX and property lines

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Not to hijack any other threads but are there any landowners here that OnX shows there property lines to be accurate. on a OnX map my property lines are up to 100 yards off, and I see so many hunters using onX

deerhunter10

Mine are pretty close. Just had a survey done and it's not updated and they are really close on my home place. Our other properties seem close to. They get the information from the property accessor if I'm not mistaken.

Creek

I only have experience with one of the four edges of some land we recently purchased, and it was right on.

I will have to update at a later time for the other property lines.

This thread has got me curious and when the time comes, I will be comparing OnX to Google as well.

Update: Around 12-13-23 I checked two more of the property lines and they were dead on.

Last edited:

J.A.F.O.

For me it's hit and miss…used it to help us survey an old piece of property we had. Used the plot and second verify with x. It wasn't off by much on 6 different points. Been out in places I know well and they were spot on. Definitely wouldn't entirely trust it to ride a line and hope I was legal.

backyardtndeer

Had a talk with the maps person at the courthouse close to 10 years ago, they redrew some county map lines based on existing deeds. My map line on one side shifted just slightly, but still shows I go over a good ways past what was an interior fence when I bought the place.

I walked the line using Landglide, there is a climber in a tree that is right smack dab on my line. That climber was put there sometime during the season last year, I found it late in the season. No one has been back to it since I found it. I think they poached the 11 point I was after early last year, lucky for them that I didn't find that stand while they were in it.

Also using Landglide I have used the measure tool looking at the deed of the neighboring property to confirm my point at the road matches the map almost exactly, within maybe a yard. When the property on that side of me changed hands I measured that same line with my rangefinder and it also came to the same point. Being that onx uses the tax maps, I think for our property should be close.

MUP

Had a talk with the maps person at the courthouse close to 10 years ago, they redrew some county map lines based on existing deeds. My map line on one side shifted just slightly, but still shows I go over a good ways past what was an interior fence when I bought the place.

I walked the line using Landglide, there is a climber in a tree that is right smack dab on my line. That climber was put there sometime during the season last year, I found it late in the season. No one has been back to it since I found it. I think they poached the 11 point I was after early last year, lucky for them that I didn't find that stand while they were in it.

Also using Landglide I have used the measure tool looking at the deed of the neighboring property to confirm my point at the road matches the map almost exactly, within maybe a yard. When the property on that side of me changed hands I measured that same line with my rangefinder and it also came to the same point. Being that onx uses the tax maps, I think for our property should be close.
Did that climber belong to the adjacent landowner you think? I found a guy hunting a marked tree on my place once, dividing my property from another landowner.

Lost Lake

I've found it to be pretty close on our places. One thing I learned from surveying years ago was that most landowners fenced to the nearest tree on wooded tracts, making the fence meander with the true line.

Most folks who've had property a long time tend to go by fences and often don't identify true property lines, so for that reason among others, I wouldn't argue with someone over a few feet of the boundary in a hunting situation, especially if I didn't own the property. It ain't worth it.

But heck I wouldn't be right up against it anyway. Too many potential problems.

BSK

I've found it to be pretty close on our places. One thing I learned from surveying years ago was that most landowners fenced to the nearest tree on wooded tracts, making the fence meander with the true line.
I'm not a surveyor, but I do map properties with a highly accurate GPS unit (with post-processing, I'm usually within 18" of the true location). And a strange thing I've noticed is that even modern surveyors do not correct improperly marked property lines. I've mapped properties where the deed calls say the property line is a straight shot from point A to Point B, yet if the painted property line between those two points is GPS-located, it wanders all over the place. I've seen lines painted that were more than a 100 yards off. Any surveyors want to fill me in on why this is?

MUP

I'm not a surveyor, but I do map properties with a highly accurate GPS unit (with post-processing, I'm usually within 18" of the true location). And a strange thing I've noticed is that even modern surveyors do not correct improperly marked property lines. I've mapped properties where the deed calls say the property line is a straight shot from point A to Point B, yet if the painted property line between those two points is GPS-located, it wanders all over the place. I've seen lines painted that were more than a 100 yards off. Any surveyors want to fill me in on why this is?
Likely the property owners have gone back and painted their version of the line. I deal with this EVERY SINGLE TIME someone buys some land bordering my property it seems. They come in and first thing they do is tie ribbons where they THINK the line runs, then I find their flags and have to go have a talk with them about where the actual lines run. There's paint and marker pins that have been there for years now, and I helped the surveyor do the job, so I know every inch and every pin. 🙂

Lost Lake

I got out of surveying before GPS dominated it. When we marked lines, it was line of sight with an EDM or lines shot in from Reference Points. It was pretty accurate.

My guess is that what you encounter could be from surveyors not double checking themselves from two or more known reference points, or in a lot of instances, general laziness on tough, way out in the country surveys. Maybe they thought close was good enough, much like fencing to the nearest tree.

But, if a person is putting in new fences or cutting timber, they dang well better be accurate.

Last edited:

Latest posts