Property lines on hand held GPS

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I have been watching Yellowstone wardens and a lot of times they are using handheld Garmin GPS units to determine property lines. Anybody here have any recommendations on how to do that? I have seen some of the apps for smartphones, but I am specifically interested in doing this on handheld Garmins.

PalsPal

I've never used property layers on a handheld GPS, but I use the property lines on OnX on my phone all the time. Shockingly accurate. They are usually within about 15 yards of being correct. I've used this feature to find many a property corner marker.

Keep in mind that the data comes from the state. And while usually accurate, we have a whole tract of several acres that is no where close to what the map shows, either the state data map or OnX.

44 mag

Keep in mind that the data comes from the state. And while usually accurate, we have a whole tract of several acres that is no where close to what the map shows, either the state data map or OnX.
I have this problem with my property at well. What the county shows and what my survey shows is off by quite a bit. I have even taken the county clerks office a copy of my survey but they won't fix it.

Lone Hunter

I use HuntStand , it's like OnX, actually have both, but my property lines are concreted in so I know exactly where they are. When I use either app they are always off at by at least 10 ft. If I was going to get into a pissing contest with someone it wouldn't be using these apps for property boundaries location. They will get you close but I wouldn't get into an argument over it. That's what surveyors are for. They will get you close enough to see posted signs and most property markers.

BSK

I use HuntStand , it's like OnX, actually have both, but my property lines are concreted in so I know exactly where they are. When I use either app they are always off at by at least 10 ft. If I was going to get into a pissing contest with someone it wouldn't be using these apps for property boundaries location. They will get you close but I wouldn't get into an argument over it. That's what surveyors are for. They will get you close enough to see posted signs and most property markers.
This.

These apps, and most phone and handheld GPS units aren't accurate enough to say my property line is RIGHT HERE.

However, as Lone Hunter mentioned, these apps and equipment will get you close, unless the state/county has the property lines wrong in their GIS.

Last edited:

Fitchj13

These devices are not sub-meter accurate. They can get you close but not consistently accurate. They are not the gospel.

BSK

These devices are not sub-meter accurate. They can get you close but not consistently accurate. They are not the gospel.
I made a mistake in my above post. I meant to say "aren't accurate enough." For some reason I left out the "n't"

Unless you're GPS is sub-meter, it's not good enough to mark property lines.

Latest posts