Best tree stand setup for a property

deerhunter10

Climber or the hang and hunt hang on options. Lone Wolfe and xop makes some good light weight options. Then go to ladders. We hunt ladder both doubleman and single man stands. We have cheap ones to some pretty expensive ones. Spend the money and get nice ones. I personally like ladders compared to hang ons just us. Climber summits are hard to beat. May also look into saddles as well as an option. Especially with that many acres.

HottyToddy

Thank you all for the insight! Sounds like a climber or saddles is first order of business, followed by a few more permanent options when I figure more out about the land and deer. When I looked at climbers originally it seemed like forking over the ~$350 for a light summit was the widespread consensus. However, when I was looking earlier today there's lots in the $150-$200 range (primal Vulcan and guide gear extreme deluxe). Are those worth it, or should I plan on buy once cry once?

Bass1090

Thank you all for the insight! Sounds like a climber or saddles is first order of business, followed by a few more permanent options when I figure more out about the land and deer. When I looked at climbers originally it seemed like forking over the ~$350 for a light summit was the widespread consensus. However, when I was looking earlier today there's lots in the $150-$200 range (primal Vulcan and guide gear extreme deluxe). Are those worth it, or should I plan on buy once cry once?
I don't have any experience with other climbers than a Summit, but will tell you that I absolutely love hunting out of them. I have a Goliath and a 180 Max and do many daylight to dark sits per year. They are comfortable, safe and easy to use. I personally love the surround seat that comes with the 180 Max and also purchased one for the Goliath.

Please always wear a harness.

rem270

That's sage advice that applies to any stand.
You are 100% on that. I don't climb into any stand anymore without a harness. I used to never wear them in a ladder stand but I do now. No sense in taking a chance. If I take anyone hunting with me it makes me nervous letting them hunt in a hang on of mine. If they don't have a harness I won't let them climb in one. Sounds crazy to some I'm sure but my property, my rules. If someone isn't familiar with hunting out of a hang on they can get hurt.

Canyonfish

A Summit climber is a good first choice. If I'm on a good spot, I will take a cable lock and lock it around the tree to keep setup to a minimum provided it's well above freezing. Water can get inside those bars and freeze and split them open. Use your harness from the time you leave the ground until you are back on the ground. Have a rope tied to it to safely pull up your rifle and daypack when in position.

1984dog

I'm a MSU Bulldog but I'll give you good advice. I do not know anything about your physical condition or age. I'm 61 and there are things I will not do now that I did often 10 years ago.

Sounds like you got lots of property.

Climbers - I think this is a must even though I do not use them anymore. If you get a good one - they are safe. The thing I do not like about climbers is the noise they make when going up and down the tree. A mature buck will figure that noise out.

Ladder stands - my preference is to get a good comfy 2-man (or 1.5 man) ladder stand so that you have plenty of room to place your backpack next to you along with extra leg room. I use a safety line as well.

Lock ON - They are great and quite and a little more mobile than a ladder stand. The Millenniums are comfy. I like to use an extra ladder piece at the top as stepping into and out of the stand in the dark is not fun. Use a safety line.

Ground Blinds - These are somewhat mobile but do not go too cheap. Get you a nice comfy groundblind chair and you can sit all day. Make sure you pack them up when finished as long term sun exposure makes them deteriorate. Good for those rainy days.

Ghost Blind - I really like these Amazon product ASIN B0083IANS0 but get you a comfy ground blind chair. These are mirror type blinds and can be set up quickly and blend into the surroundings so good (no brushing in or setting up a week in advance). Great for turkey hunting too.

Last advice - invest in an Ozonics unit and a couple spare batteries and use Evercalm as a scent cover on your boots.

If you are wondering, I prefer Mossy Oak over Realtree

Canyonfish

The Vipers are hard to beat. I would pony up from the start. Comfort will keep you in the stand longer. Lot of valuable information on this thread whatever your decision is.

Ski

Not to kick a dead horse any harder, but WEAR a good harness regardless of stand, and have it secured to a safety or climbing strap from the time you are on the ground until the time you're on the ground again, or else you'll find yourself on the ground in the wrong way. Every year somebody has an accident and is killed or severely injured. That's not likely to happen if you're secured to the tree.

redblood

I wouldn't worry about the visibility part, this is out in the middle of a TVA right-of-way, after a bit the deer don't care. While in a stand, you are as visible in a ladder as you are in a lock-on or climber, just don't move around a bunch and you will be ok.
J3lQeDE.jpg
I pretty much only bowhunt, so i know that would be fine for gun range

Omega

I pretty much only bowhunt, so i know that would be fine for gun range
Yea, just saying that the deer will get used to anything you put out there. Believe it or not, I have had deer in bow range, talking 15-20 yards, on this stand. When it is new, they will notice and may shy away, but after a few days they will act like it is not even there. Now, when someone is up there and moves around, that is another matter entirely. On stands I always like to put myself just under the lowest branches to hide me a bit, seems to work.

Gravey

I prefer ladder stands as they're more comfortable, easier and quieter getting into, and I don't sweat like a pig. Just make sure it's one with a zero gravity mesh style seat or you'll fidget and move the entire time. If going climber route I really like the comfort of my Summit Viper. Bought all the items needed to saddle hunt but haven't done it yet but can see it being more mobile.

Most important…ALWAYS WEAR A HARNESS AND BE ATTACHED TO A SAFETY LINE FROM THE TIME YOU LEAVE THE GROUND REGARDLESS OF TREESTAND TYLE UNTIL YOUR FEET TOUCH IT AGAIN.

Last edited:

BSK

Yea, just saying that the deer will get used to anything you put out there. Believe it or not, I have had deer in bow range, talking 15-20 yards, on this stand. When it is new, they will notice and may shy away, but after a few days they will act like it is not even there. Now, when someone is up there and moves around, that is another matter entirely. On stands I always like to put myself just under the lowest branches to hide me a bit, seems to work.
Never ceases to amaze me what deer will get used to, and quickly. For years I resisted trying ladder stands because I believed they were to visible and deer would avoid them just by sight. Then I finally tried them because we were taking kids hunting. Even the big 2-person buddy ladder stands were completely ignored by deer once they had been up a couple of days. Same with towers/condos. Deer freaked out the first time they saw them but were then feeding underneath them 48 hours later.

Deer notice anything new in the woods. But once that new thing does them no harm, they ignore it.

1984dog

Never ceases to amaze me what deer will get used to, and quickly. For years I resisted trying ladder stands because I believed they were to visible and deer would avoid them just by sight. Then I finally tried them because we were taking kids hunting. Even the big 2-person buddy ladder stands were completely ignored by deer once they had been up a couple of days. Same with towers/condos. Deer freaked out the first time they saw them but were then feeding underneath them 48 hours later.

Deer notice anything new in the woods. But once that new thing does them no harm, they ignore it.
A typical deer will get used to anything. A mature buck will avoid a stand if he ever connects human scent and danger to that stand or object during daylight hours. Mature bucks have a memory and they may forget about one event, but let them experience two or more events - and it is in their brain forever. A mature buck may get stupid when they are hot on the tail of a hot doe - but other than that they are likely to avoid a shooting house or feeder if they have encountered a person there before a couple times. My reference is during shooting hours as a mature buck (4+ years old) may show up under the cover of darkness.

BSK

A typical deer will get used to anything. A mature buck will avoid a stand if he ever connects human scent and danger to that stand or object during daylight hours. Mature bucks have a memory and they may forget about one event, but let them experience two or more events - and it is in their brain forever. A mature buck may get stupid when they are hot on the tail of a hot doe - but other than that they are likely to avoid a shooting house or feeder if they have encountered a person there before a couple times. My reference is during shooting hours as a mature buck (4+ years old) may show up under the cover of darkness.
I couldn't agree more. See my thread on "Overhunting stands."

BSK

I don't have that problem usually, unless they see me before I see them.
I realize you're being facetious, but for others, deer don't have to see you in the stand. They can smell you were there any time they pass by for a week or two after you hunt the stand. THAT is what alerts deer to a stand being hunted - your scent left behind.

Ski

I realize you're being facetious, but for others, deer don't have to see you in the stand. They can smell you were there any time they pass by for a week or two after you hunt the stand. THAT is what alerts deer to a stand being hunted - your scent left behind.

And it's cumulative. The more you're there the more scent accumulates and saturates everything near it. I'm 110% confident deer know the difference between you passing through and you being there often enough to be a resident. They know the difference between a coyote den and a coyote track, or where a coyote laid down for a nap. No reason it wouldn't be the same for humans.

Omega

I think it all depends on the area. When I hunted military installations, I would often see deer, yes even mature ones, in areas that had just had a field exercise in it. Many of the areas you could actually drink your coffee, smoke, chew etc, while on your stand because deer were used to those scents, and while they associated it with humans, they didn't associate it with danger. Many times, ranges have to be stopped because deer are in the target area, knowing shots are been fired but knowing they themselves are not the target.

Latest posts