Smallmouth Gone Crazy

rsimms

The last week or two may perhaps be about the best smallmouth bite I've seen on my part of the TN River in years, if not ever. In the last three trips clients have boated a dozen or more brownfish in the 4 and 5 lb. class, with at least one over 6 lbs.

Wes Parrish (a.k.a. TheLBLman), and his band of merry warriors added to that total yesterday. He brought his friend Jane, and another friend, Alan Jordan (all the way from Obion County). FYI... the catfishing sucked. It was horrible!!! :bash:

These days I'm saying, "Thank goodness for smallmouth!"

Alan came in with the big fish of the day on Wednesday, a solid 5.5 lb. brownfish. Yesterday was the first time Alan has ever caught ANY smallmouth and he tags a trophy. He says he'll be back. :D

Of course there was the ever-present "big one that got away" syndrome. But everybody caught at least one or two (or more) quality brownfish, plus several others that weren't picture-worthy. Plus a good bunch of assorted other species (everything eats live shiners). A coolerful of spotted bass, stripe, and eater cats won a free ride back to Obion County with Alan. If I'm any judge, I believe I can say a good time was had by all.

Attachments

• parrish_collage.jpg
    parrish_collage.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,525

TheLBLman

Sir Richard, that was a good fishing trip yesterday!
But good luck finding much interest here about fishing on this here deer-hunting forum,
even if it does have a "fishing" section. :mrgreen:
Can't even get a rise out ole Ruger.

I did post something regarding our trip in the "general" forum,
but guess I should "move" those posts over to this thread in the "fishing" section.

TIMING, Sir Richard, TIMING. It's deer season now.
Nearly all the TNdeer regulars are gone huntin'. :)

But next warm day, I may just have to go fishing again instead of sweatin' on a deer stand.
Twas right "cool" yesterday on that river.

TheLBLman

rsimms":hm96ayso said:
It was painful for him, but Wes Parrish (a.k.a. TheLBLman), took some time out of the deer woods today to come fishing. He brought his friend Jane, and another friend, Alan Jordan (all the way from Obion County).
Well, notice I did wait until it wasn't an ideal bowhunting morning (weather was a bit warm) :mrgreen:
And it's full steam ahead on the deer hunting now!

This trip began mainly as a "reward" to my business associate Alan for all the good work he's done this year, and since Richard had moved up to a "bigger boat", even had room for Jane. :D I guess too many times in the past when one of Richard's fishermen hooked one of those giant catfish, he heard them say, "Gonna' need a bigger boat" ---- and he finally listened

TheLBLman

Master Guide Richard Simms is also a Professional Photographer, and he will provide you great pics when you go fishing with him :)
This is my personal favorite from this last trip . . . . . .
This was a "double" as both these nice smallmouths (nearly 4 lbs each) hit simultaneously.

And ole Alan seemed to be well rewarded for all his dedication and the long drive from Obion County, TN . . . . .

Alan's big one was a solid 5 1/2 lbs --- wonder if it would have gone over 6 lbs back in the Spring?

Winchester

Smallmouth bite has really picked up on Cherokee lake the last week or so as well! Congrats on some pretty brownies.

Good time Charlie

The Powell river here at the house is as low as I have ever seen it.
But the smallmouth are biting like crazy .One guy caught 30 from my place to the kayak rental place,maybe 3 miles.
And in the lake... crappie are really hitting,You can fish and hunt at the same time...but you cannot hunt and fish at the same time :p :p :p :p :pain:

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time ,you deserve it.

Latest posts