Crazy bite

megalomaniac

1st time to fish in a month. Struck out at my first 4 spots, was running the bayous headed to another set of spots when I passed specks busting shrimp on the surface. Made a u turn and boated 25 real quick, then had a 30lb red inhale a 13 in speck I was reeling in.

Had some live croakers, so switched to them and hung into bull reds under the school of specks. Got spooled once, broken off once, and had a 40 plus in red on the line for 20 kon and hook pulled right at the boat. The only red I landed was this 30in er, prob 8 or 9lbs.

In all I needed up catching around 50 specks in about 2 hours. Bite died once the tide changed, was 106 deg anyway, so time to go!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_104918_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_104918_Gallery.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 101

megalomaniac

yep you had a real good day not many like that!
No doubt!

Addiction to fishing is probably produces the same neurotransmitter release that gamblers experience. Dozens of trips hoping for a bite like this/ pull of the slot machine handle. Most days are a grind.

Still sick about losing the giant red at the boat... I really wanted a picture with him... my fault tho. I carry one medium heavy all star rod on the boat with a 4000 Penn battle 3 reel just in case I get into big fish. It's hardly ever used, but after the big red ate my speck I pulled it out and threw the croaker. I played him hard to try to land him asap so he wouldn't die from too long of a fight in the hot water.