Fishing is crazy

Pic IN the Casa

Some guys have the knack. But man watching bass fishing is like watching golf to me. Id rather watch paint dry. Oddly though, i use to love the ol bassmaster series when i was in high school circa 1992
I know. However the MLF series is much more tolerable, IMO, since they catch, weigh and release in less than a minute.
Taking fish to the dock and weigh in is a yawner to me.

Hduke86

Jimmy Houston is a super nice guy, but I never liked Roland Martin. I always heard he was an arrogant tool. However, I watched him in a tournament with a co-angler and he told the co-angler something like "let me catch one more good one and we will get you five." And he did. It's been a long time ago, but I think the co-angler won his division. That went a long way with me.
You would be correct about Roland Martin. They have stayed a few times down the street from me for tournaments. I would see them every evening either at the gas station before heading up the mountain or in the driveway of the house they were staying at. My youngest is ate up with fishing and thinks the world of professional fishermen. We were at the gas station one night and they pulled in. Scott was pumping gas and my youngest asked to go talk to him. I told him that's fine but don't be discouraged if he's had a busy day. Scott would have talked for an hour at the pump with my youngest and even told him to hop in the boat to look at it. Told Scott we're your mountain neighbors and have been for the last couple of years that they stayed up there. He told us to swing by if we saw them in the driveway rigging. The next day my youngest wanted to see if they were out. So we just walked down there and they were out rigging and just cutting up. Scott greeted my youngest like they have been friends forever. Well Roland on the other hand said something like "I don't have time talk to strangers" as he walked off and sat on the porch. We thanked Scott for the time and conversation and left him with some advice to give to his dad as in "don't think I didn't hear what he said about my youngest and tell him to get the corn cob out of his crack" . After that I've liked Scott's interactions but his dad…..could go pound sand for all I care.

Spurhunter

You would be correct about Roland Martin. They have stayed a few times down the street from me for tournaments. I would see them every evening either at the gas station before heading up the mountain or in the driveway of the house they were staying at. My youngest is ate up with fishing and thinks the world of professional fishermen. We were at the gas station one night and they pulled in. Scott was pumping gas and my youngest asked to go talk to him. I told him that's fine but don't be discouraged if he's had a busy day. Scott would have talked for an hour at the pump with my youngest and even told him to hop in the boat to look at it. Told Scott we're your mountain neighbors and have been for the last couple of years that they stayed up there. He told us to swing by if we saw them in the driveway rigging. The next day my youngest wanted to see if they were out. So we just walked down there and they were out rigging and just cutting up. Scott greeted my youngest like they have been friends forever. Well Roland on the other hand said something like "I don't have time talk to strangers" as he walked off and sat on the porch. We thanked Scott for the time and conversation and left him with some advice to give to his dad as in "don't think I didn't hear what he said about my youngest and tell him to get the corn cob out of his crack" . After that I've liked Scott's interactions but his dad…..could go pound sand for all I care.
I've never met Scott but I'm glad to hear this. He must get his people skills from his mother.

Spurhunter

KVD "retired" a year or two ago. I don't know if he stayed that way.
And this pops today. I must have ESPN!
Screenshot_20240310-201051_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

killingtime 41

Roland Martin use to live and have a place down at Lake Okeechobee in Fl. Never met him don't care if I ever do. I watched him and bill dance and jimmy Houston Saturday morning shows when I was a kid. And especially bill dance shows music that use to come on as the show was coming on. Sun comes up over the tree tops". Use get me pumped to go fishing.

TheLBLman

Roland Martin use to live and have a place down at Lake Okeechobee in Fl.
I spent a couple days there, and was favorably impressed with his place. I had no negative "issues" with Mr. Martin.

That said, I had no desire to go back to Lake Okeechobee, nothing to do with Roland's place, but because it was more like fishing in the ocean than anywhere I'd ever tried to bass fish. Other than being full of alligators, Okeechobee is unlike the Everglades, as it's just a monstrously huge, but shallow lake, mostly open water.

redblood

Speaking of Bill Dance. My brother inlaw just rolled into the White River for a week of fishing today They get to their camping place and were watching some of the guide boats...and lo and behold there was Bill out there with Cranors guide service. He's in the red boat in front.View attachment 219179
I think he fishes with them quite often

gasman

I've never met Scott but I'm glad to hear this. He must get his people skills from his mother.
I had just the opposite interaction with Roland. Met him one time in Dresden Tn. He was in town deer hunting. Probably talked with him about an hour. Super friendly that day. Dunno. He signed a couple hats for my boys. Youngest son still has his.

Headhunter

my only 2 experiences with Bill Dance were bad to say the least. No I did not personally interact with him. I witnessed how much of a "rear end" he was to kids. One of the dads had to be stopped because he was going to (in the dad's words) "teach Bill Dance he should be nice to kids". All the kids did was ask for an autograph. Nothing crazy, just Bill sitting in a boat in the Four Corners boat dock parking lot at Percy Priest. Kevin Van Dam and Jimmy Houston were there also. 2 of the nicest guys and talking, signing autographs, giving lures to kids, etc. Bill was such a rear end that finally no one went to his boat. He was also "cussed" by several guys for how he treated the kids. Truly sad in IMO.

I also, cannot verify them, have heard several stories of Bill's camera man trying to buy fish from fisherman so they could put them on hook and video Bill catching them. Can't verify the stories, but I for sure trust the guys who told me the stories.

moondawg

Some guys (and gals, they fish too) just KNOW. They know the waters, the conditions, and have confidence with the lures and the presentation. It's a lot of things coming together. Or it could just be luck.

WTM

wasnt that last year and he was flipping a spinner bait in shallow cover? i only watch youtube at night in bed to fall asleep to and remember a video and i thought that was a pretty good idea to throw a spinner bait instead of a jig.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
wasnt that last year and he was flipping a spinner bait in shallow cover? i only watch youtube at night in bed to fall asleep to and remember a video and i thought that was a pretty good idea to throw a spinner bait instead of a jig.
I think so.

Crow Terminator

I've heard mixed experiences with Bill. I've only saw him at expos and such but never had a desire to stand in line to meet anyone so I didn't. But I can tell you this hot off the press. The picture above from Arkansas: my nephew and brother inlaw are also fishing with Cranors guide service and at the lodge. Nephew wanted to say hello to Bill
FB_IMG_1710298390609.jpg
and maybe get him to sign his hat. He wouldn't even talk to my nephew. Brother inlaw said he actually acted like he was on a high horse and above everyone there. They were Dance fans until they actually interacted with him.

But he got over it quick when he went out and got himself an 8 pounder the same day.

Latest posts