Shooting up/downhill?

Chiflyguy

Most shots will be less than 100 yards.
Had a couple deers movin behind me Saturday thru a hayfield.
I'm probably 75 feet above them on a ridge.
From what I read, aim lower.
Or should I wait next year and get some practice in.
That's my guess.
This sure ain't Illinois👍

megalomaniac

Won't matter if less than 100.

But the correct answer is shoot the distance from the imaginary horizontal line drawn level from your position to the other leg (straight up or down vertical) of a right triangle from the intended target.

backyardtndeer

I have the same issue on my small parcel, I am midway on a hill and am shooting down at one area deer like to show up at, I never adjust POA, I just aim where I want to hit, that has been with both the 308 and the 270.
Same here. Have a pretty steep drop behind one stand into a gully, I have shot a few coming through and just held right where I normally do, and hit right where it was supposed to.

Only thing I could see where it might get you into trouble would be if it was really close and you had high mounts.

Creek

That's my guess.

All I know is that it would gnaw on my conscience until I knew 110%

Speedwell-Hunter

That's my guess.
Nothing needs to be done to accommodate angle at such low distances, bullet is traveling too quickly

infoman jr.

Negative. When you shoot uphill, you will hit high. When you shoot downhill, you will hit high.

Without getting wonky, and just answering the first question, at 75 yard it won't make enough difference to worry with corrections.
I think he may be talking about the wound channel the bullet would make. Similar to archery where you want to aim for an exit hole. Or maybe he doesn't understand physics...or both.

Snowwolfe

This is hard to explain. But if a deer is 300 yards away and either uphill or downhill you need to try to calculate how far away the deer is if the ground is flat between you and the deer. This is the only distance to concern yourself with as far as bullet drop. At 300 yards on an uphill or downhill slope your bullet will always hit slightly higher than at the same distance on level ground.
100 yards, just try to place the shot knowing where the bullet will enter and exit

Omega

Here is a great article I collected from my Mil days. It explains the concept quite well of shooting up or downhill, though as has been said ad nauseam, for 100 or under it really doesn't matter as long as you take the exit into consideration, I just imagine a laser from entry to exit and make sure what I want to hit is between those points.

Attachments

• ShootingUphillAndDownhill.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts