New Deer Shooting House put up!

FTG-05

I started my Back 20 Shooting House early Sept. 2019; just over 4 years ago. Live intervened, but it got used as a expedient Porta-Potty when I had my roof replaced and other work done on the house. It started out as a 4'x6' section of a pool deck I bought off a Redstone Fed cop summer 2019.

Here is how it started Sept. 2019:

EfU4n5n.jpg

Framing it up; note the Elevator brackets down at the bottom.

5lKxgZw.jpg

3/4"+ Poplar rough cut sawn lumber; the trees came from my property. The mistake I made was to install them pretty wet and they then shrunk over the next few years. Oh well.

ge0fobB.jpg

QhCgW27.jpg

Getting ready for the metal roof:

3zt5g5a.jpg

Took this pic May 2020 when moving the house so the roofers could use it. It was pretty much in this state for 3 more years until I got back into it this month.

3mHVRUf.jpg

So the last 2 week or so, I finished up the interior (mostly), painted it and then camo'd it. No real progress pics:

C9Ce0Ll.jpg

0map3dM.jpg

More to come; thanks for looking!

FTG-05

My cousin came to visit me, so we teamed up to move and emplace the house this last Thursday (Sept. 28). After getting all the tools and supplies at the site, I put my forks on my tractor and loaded up the house:

fDti5vw.jpg

Heading up the hill to my pole barn field on the way to Back 20 acres of my farm:

FFXrEFQ.jpg

Coming up the trail:

ILZAJ84.jpg

I just bushhogged this one acre a couple weeks ago:

UjTwJmW.jpg

Site ready, with landscaping fabric down (I wish I had done this with my previous two houses :( ) and the deck blocks. In the background, you can just barely see the pile of 2x4's (braces), 4x4s (legs) and the stairs we had built the day before.

b1hvc2A.jpg

No in-progress pics; but it's up and braced!

gEq0Jxx.jpg

The back side:

eCkgEXF.jpg

The front; you can see some of the hunting blind fabric I put up; it appears to do a good job hiding whoever is inside. The legs and bracing lumber are brand new treated and they are very wet; I'll wait a month or so before painting them.

1E3WFYz.jpg

The view from inside:

cIezaSs.jpg

zyvtEWi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

kaizen leader

You have a super nice thing going on with all the land, barn, and toys. Great job with the blind. How did you do such a nice paint job on the blind? Good luck and let us know about your first kill and maybe some pictures.

BSK

Anyone have any idea how long it takes deer to get used to it and start ignoring it?

Thanks for all the comments!
48 hours.

I put up a bunch of condo stands two years ago. Happened to have cameras on the plots these condos were set up on. First deer that came into the food plots (that afternoon) after condo installation absolutely freaked out. Turned inside out getting away. 48 hours later, the exact same deer were feeding in the plot and completely ignoring the condos. Deer quickly get used to anything that does them no harm.

FTG-05

48 hours.

I put up a bunch of condo stands two years ago. Happened to have cameras on the plots these condos were set up on. First deer that came into the food plots (that afternoon) after condo installation absolutely freaked out. Turned inside out getting away. 48 hours later, the exact same deer were feeding in the plot and completely ignoring the condos. Deer quickly get used to anything that does them no harm.
Good! My standard procedure is to set out some cracked corn to entice them a bit. They haven't hit the first batch I put out yesterday afternoon.

double browtine

Recommendations?
Get one of those mobile home anchors that you twist into the ground. You can put it right under the stand. Use something strong like a big piece of pipe to twist it around and into the ground. It's best to get two people and a piece of strong rebar to twist it in. Then use some metal cable or chain and a turnbuckle to attach it to the stand. Drill a couple holes through the floor joists to run the cable through or a big lag screw or bolt to attach the chain.

And that is a great looking blind too!!

Latest posts