shooting range

Texan11285

I see there is a Wolf River firing range with gps coordinates and no address. Called TWRA and the girl had no idea about an address. I just want to know if i have to bring my own sandbags, targets etc. She transferred me to the number that i have already called and left messages on but call has not been returned. It rang and tang so i hung up. Anyone ever been there that could give me directions?

themanpcl

I see there is a Wolf River firing range with gps coordinates and no address. Called TWRA and the girl had no idea about an address. I just want to know if i have to bring my own sandbags, targets etc. She transferred me to the number that i have already called and left messages on but call has not been returned. It rang and tang so i hung up. Anyone ever been there that could give me directions?
GPS: 35.0026 -89.1759

TNRifleman

Its on the far west side of the Wolf River WMA. They basically provide a bench and 2 shooting lanes. There may be a cover there now but I am not sure if they provide any target stands. I would bring everything else you need. It is approximately where the red dot is on my map and is only open the month of October
Wolf River.PNG

TN Song Dog

I'd pack up all my stuff and go for a ride. Let us know what you find. Most of the twra ranges have some sort of shooting tables, and you will almost definitely need targets, stapler/pins, and your sand bags or rest. Some of those ranges are not staffed. Make sure to talk and coordinate with other shooters on going cold and then back hot again. Double/tripple confirm with everyone and speak loud & clear. Look for eyes and confirmation. I've seen shots fired when someone was down range changing targets because of poor communication and coordination on this. If anyone drives up when range is cold, let them know the status and plan. No handling firearms when cold. Mags dropped and bolts open, etc.

TNRifleman

Thanks fellas. 10-4 TN Song Dog and TN Rifleman, appreciate the reminder that we are dealing with the public.
Public should not be a huge issue. There are only two lanes and I have never seen anyone out there before. If you go on a weekday, there's a huge chance you'll have it all to yourself the whole time.

Texan11285

A nice fella named Tony called me back from the WMA. Gave me real good directions and I went out there this afternoon. At the blinking lite in downtown La Grange, turn right on Yager street. You go past their shop and stay on it for about 5.7 miles. Yager will make a sharp left curve, but go straight on white gravel road bout 2/10 mile. The range is on the right.
If Beasley was open it would be closer and a straighter shot. Because Beasley intersects Yager right where the entrance is. Hope this helps someone else.
Nice little setup. As was mentioned before, 2 benches and had it all to myself. I ranged it from bench and it was 93 yards. Since I was out there I brought my shotgun and made a dove hunt at the sunflower field. Didn't see a bird but it was a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_7992.jpeg
    IMG_7992.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts