Shooting at Reelfoot

7mm08

Makes you wonder too how long it would take to get emergency services (medical or law enforcement) down there anyway. Walnut Log has absolutely ZERO cell service, and it's not likely the blind is reliable for service either. Gotta be a terrible feeling to not be able to reach out for anyone for help.
This.....

PillsburyDoughboy

Burton S Staggs (Reporter) Is Reporting they (TBI) have Found the Gun Belonging to Vowell and A Boat Belonging to Vowell.

Tom Collins

Seeing the pictures of those boys makes me furious. Just kids man, I hope and pray that SOB is found alive and gets to met Big Bubba in the showers. I'm sure they were just as wrong as the other in the dispute, but they didn't deserve to be murdered in cold blood. And for anyone who will still say "wait for the details" you can sit and spin. Prayers for the families of all involved including the shooter. Just absolutely tragic.

PillsburyDoughboy

Burton S Staggs (Reporter) is also reporting that Arrest Warrants for two charges of First Degree Murder have been Sworn out in David Vowells Name.

PillsburyDoughboy

Attachments

• 48465B00-1C41-463D-BA7D-C4486155F7D1.png
    48465B00-1C41-463D-BA7D-C4486155F7D1.png
    315.5 KB · Views: 289

flyinpro

If anyone wants to know the true history of reelfoot lake. They need to read the book. "Nightriders of reelfoot lake". This is a tragic event and was uncalled for no matter the circumstances. Those permanent blind folks think they own the lake and have for years and years.
Wait what? I don't know reelfoot, but in my opinion there should be no permanent grandfathered privately owned blinds on any public land. Did this incident occur in one of those? Place sounds like a zoo. 5 years ago a friend & I went up to a hand held draw and that was a zoo as well. But nonetheless I took my boat and we went out on the lake to look around. Between the blinds, the stumps and those nasty Asian carp it wasn't a pleasant trip. Saw plenty of ducks even then. Wouldn't mind hunting up there but I've heard all kinds of stories and this one seem to be one of the worst.

PJones

Wait what? I don't know reelfoot, but in my opinion there should be no permanent grandfathered privately owned blinds on any public land. Did this incident occur in one of those? Place sounds like a zoo. 5 years ago a friend & I went up to a hand held draw and that was a zoo as well. But nonetheless I took my boat and we went out on the lake to look around. Between the blinds, the stumps and those nasty Asian carp it wasn't a pleasant trip. Saw plenty of ducks even then. Wouldn't mind hunting up there but I've heard all kinds of stories and this one seem to be one of the worst.
Not to stir the pot(not related to the shooting) but could the same not be said about public blinds on the lake as well.I might fan the flames but I believe there are too many blinds on the lake period. There are great people that have grandfathered blinds on that lake and just make a honest living. We are fortunate that these types of things don't happen every year. I don't know the answer but I know it cannot all be put on the private blinds on that lake.

TheLBLman

I don't know reelfoot, but in my opinion there should be no permanent grandfathered privately owned blinds on any public land. . . . . . Wouldn't mind hunting up there but I've heard all kinds of stories and this one seem to be one of the worst.
It has not been an uncommon practice to allow local people to retain some bit of special interest for a generation or two after private land is taken by imminent domain for public use.

Since you're from Blount County, you likely know what happened to the local people living in Cades Cove when the federal government forcefully converted their private land to public use. I believe this happened back in the 1930's, and until the last living generation died out, they were still allowed to live there on the property their family once owned. Most left decades ago, but there was still one living there until only a few years ago, despite this being a national park.

The situation at Reelfoot is actually somewhat similar to what happened at Cades Cove in terms of the locals. Not saying either is right or wrong, just trying to help explain how it happened.

Imminent domain can be a sore subject for those who have suffered it.

I have an almost family friend who was forced off the family land by imminent domain sometime around 1940 due to the pending creation of Kentucky Lake on the Tennessee River. The family then moved themselves and their farming operations to the other side of Stewart County, buying a somewhat comparable farm on the Cumberland River (near Dover). Around 1960 this same family was again forced off their property with the pending creation of Lake Barkley.

Then there were all those Stewart County families now fully "lake-locked" by Tennessee's two largest lakes. So again, the federal government forced all those families off this huge land mass with the creation of the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. It had previously been known as "the land betwix the rivers".

I can't disagree that the creation of LBL wasn't in the public and the future's best interest. But the imminent domain aspect about its creation remains a sore subject. Similar has happened in many parts of Tennessee, including the Reelfoot area.

Andy S.

^^^ Your imminent domain examples remind me of the ones I am familiar with, and one I recently worked on for a Federal project in Missouri. The private resident has an agreed upon departure date once the government makes him/her whole based on a legal binding document. The deed is recorded at local court house and the property becomes public property at that point in time. The departure date for occupant/resident is typically sooner rather than later, and there is no passing down property or structures from one generation to the next. IMO, that is asking for trouble, regardless of how it is drawn up legally.

Levee Jumper

I've been told about 5 different versions. Completely unsubstantiated but the one that makes the most sense to me is that he slipped into their boat house in the pouring rain and straight up ambushed them.

SGTmaddox

I've never been on Facebook or any of the others...for the exact reason being displayed here by certain posts. I am a local, grew up hunting and fishing on Reelfoot. I was a friend with one of the deceased and know the others involved. I joined tndeer.com to to gain useful knowledge about the rut, hunting tactics and enjoy others' hunting stories. In fact, this is my first post on this forum. But this thread is about like my mother returning home from our Baptist Sunday school's class...full of misinformation and gossip. Please, for the respect of all those involved...wait until the facts are disclosed.

Respectfully

Levee Jumper

I've never been on Facebook or any of the others...for the exact reason being displayed here by certain posts. I am a local, grew up hunting and fishing on Reelfoot. I was a friend with one of the deceased and know the others involved. I joined tndeer.com to to gain useful knowledge about the rut, hunting tactics and enjoy others' hunting stories. In fact, this is my first post on this forum. But this thread is about like my mother returning home from our Baptist Sunday school's class...full of misinformation and gossip. Please, for the respect of all those involved...wait until the facts are disclosed.

Respectfully

SGTmaddox

So sad, everything about this. It didn't need to happen.
But this could have happened anywhere, imo, nothing to do with the fact it happened at Reelfoot.

Prayers and condolences for the families of all involved.

We may never know exactly what happened, what triggered the shooting.
We just all agree no duck or deer is worth a man's life.

I also suspect he is deceased.
However, he actually was an Olympic-grade swimmer, and my understanding is he was in very good physical condition for a 70-yr-old man. And, he knew the lake and the surrounding area very well, his family having a vacation home at Walnut Log for over 50, maybe 100 years.
He was a SENIOR OLYMPIC champion swimmer, he and his mother both. Get your facts straight.

Ol Fart

If he is not on the bottom of the lake I would guess he is hiding in a buddy's attic or a buddy gave him a lift out of the area to a place where he can lay low.

Latest posts