Late season duck hunting at Reelfoot - Any good?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
My opinion, more no-till farming with waste grain left on the ground and not burned off/tilled in is the main culprit. The milder winters we've had have not helped, but everything used to be a food wasteland after the harvest and field prep afterwards that forced the birds to have to move south. Combine that with the milder winters and not enough snow/ice north of the lake, and the birds simply do not have to go anywhere, and after the northern seasons close, there is no pressure on them to give them a reason to go anywhere. There seems to be more pressure around everywhere, so when birds do decide to move, it is predominantly at night.

Dodge Man

Thanks for that post rem. Why is it that way? Is the area over-hunted? Too many blinds for the ducks? What's different now on Reelfoot from 10 years ago for example?
In 2016 the refuge at Reelfoot was holding around 200,000 ducks most of the season, the same for many years before that. Around that time they changed the management practices of the refugee and different people in charge. Since then the numbers have dropped off a Lot! Now on average that refuge holds 20,000 at peak numbers. Usually way less then that. That is just one of the problems in my opinion. Overall all of the refuge numbers are way down except Whites Lake. They don't flood them nearly early enough anymore and don't leave enough food.

Last edited:

Kyboy

In 2016 the refuge at Reelfoot was holding around 200,000 ducks most of the season, the same for many years before that. Around that time they changed the management practices of the refugee and different people in charge. Since then the numbers have dropped off a Lot! Now on average that refuge holds 20,000 at peak numbers. Usually way less then that. That is just one of the problems in my opinion. Overall all of the refuge numbers are way down except Whites Lake. They don't flood them nearly early enough anymore and don't leave enough food.
Same thing with ten mile pond during that time. The new management there completely screwed it as well, birds would refuge hop between ten mile, reelfoot and ballard. 2012-2016 was some good hunting in that triangle. Now not worth a crap most of the time.

Dodge Man

Same thing with ten mile pond during that time. The new management there completely screwed it as well, birds would refuge hop between ten mile, reelfoot and ballard. 2012-2016 was some good hunting in that triangle. Now not worth a crap most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.png
    IMG_1251.png
    61 KB · Views: 70

A207X2

So let me ask you all... If you could hunt ducks anywhere within a 300 mile radius from Reelfoot, where would you go? I really enjoy waterfowl hunting, and I'm trying to make up for lost time (68 now, with some medical problems), so not afraid to get in the truck and drive. Thanks.

Bgoodman30

Pretty sure BB has major leaks and sand issues..

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Just spewed my beverage all over my computer 😆
Cannot believe YOU hired a fishing guide for your "home" lake 😆
Now a duck guide, I could understand, but a bream guide?

Did they catch crickets for you? Bait your hook?

They should have been paying you! 😆
Once I got over being mad it was actually a pretty funny story.

My buddy at work wanted to go on a guided trip there. Still not sure why, but he paid for most of it so I was like what the heck.
Never. Again.

Latest posts