Sawtooth Acorns

DoubleRidge

Update on the 13 sawtooth acorns mentioned earlier in this thread.....they have finally sprouted and are coming up....couple of the really cold nights I put them in the basement....other nights I didn't....so I was worried the cold might have gotten them.....so far looks like they are ok ...about 9 of the 13 are showing.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_080111852~2.jpg
    IMG_20210425_080111852~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70

Chickenrig

Update on the 13 sawtooth acorns mentioned earlier in this thread.....they have finally sprouted and are coming up....couple of the really cold nights I put them in the basement....other nights I didn't....so I was worried the cold might have gotten them.....so far looks like they are ok ...about 9 of the 13 are showing.
Lookin good !!! Its up to you and God now

DoubleRidge

So all of the sawtooths I started in pots look good except for one.....one of them is almost white? It's growing but it concerns me...this is my first time starting trees from seed and I'm curious if I should get rid of this one? Or give it a chance? Just don't want this one to cause issues with the others?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210522-085443.png
    Screenshot_20210522-085443.png
    487.7 KB · Views: 72

DoubleRidge

I sent the guy that I got the sawtooth acorns from a picture of the ones I started in pots this spring....and he sent me the attached picture in reply....he started this tree from an acorn 7 years ago....he estimates it to be 20 to 23 feet tall....amazing to me how quickly they grow and produce.

Attachments

• 88706~2.jpeg
    88706~2.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 84

Chapman

I wonder how bad they are about sprouting new trees from the acorns that fall and don't get eaten. I have 3 on some pasture that haven't started making acorns and I really don't want them to start spreading. They held up pretty good during the 2 hurricanes we had in 2020. Here is one 8 years old, planted from a bare-root seedling.

Attachments

• Sawtooth oak 2021.jpg
    Sawtooth oak 2021.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

DoubleRidge

I wonder how bad they are about sprouting new trees from the acorns that fall and don't get eaten. I have 3 on some pasture that haven't started making acorns and I really don't want them to start spreading. They held up pretty good during the 2 hurricanes we had in 2020. Here is one 8 years old, planted from a bare-root seedling.

Nice looking tree Chapman!!..... surprised it's not producing any acorns yet.... bet it will start soon.....if it's anything like around here the acorns won't last long on the ground.

Swampster

I worried about that well since this is a non native species of oak. It may depend on the environment, but I rarely see any seedlings at all near mine and they have been dropping for about ten or eleven years ... and they drop a lot.

Chapman

I worried about that well since this is a non native species of oak. It may depend on the environment, but I rarely see any seedlings at all near mine and they have been dropping for about ten or eleven years ... and they drop a lot.
Here we have Chinese Tallow trees that the USDA encouraged people to plant back in the 60's for a fast growing shade tree. My Grandfather planted quite a few on his farm for shade for his cows. They have become very invasive and spread terribly all around parts of Louisiana. The beekeepers like them for the honey they produce when they bloom. Here is an interesting article I found about Sawtooth Oaks.

Swampster

Here we have Chinese Tallow trees that the USDA encouraged people to plant back in the 60's for a fast growing shade tree. My Grandfather planted quite a few on his farm for shade for his cows. They have become very invasive and spread terribly all around parts of Louisiana. The beekeepers like them for the honey they produce when they bloom. Here is an interesting article I found about Sawtooth Oaks.
Thanks for the article. Glad that out of 3,000 oaks planted, only 500 were Sawtooth. The pre-existing wooded areas are about 50/50 willow oak and swamp chestnut as far as oaks go. Appears from the article that I can start converting the Sawtooth to firewood in a few years. By then, surely the other oaks will be producing.

DoubleRidge

So.....quick question for the "tree guys"....I have the 12 sawtooth that I planted in pots one year ago...they did good last summer and now as spring arrives they are starting to bud and leaf out and they look healthy.

But being concerned about the tap root being too long I pulled a couple from pot and sure enough...the tap root is to bottom of pot and has started to curve few inches.

So my questions are:

Are these trees not going to do well?

Should I try to straighten tap root when I transplant them?

Some have told me they will straighten themselves out once transplanted?

Any advice is appreciated.

I have tree protector grow tubes ordered...hope to transplant them soon.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

I would cut the taproot at the point where it starts to turn and plant. They will not straighten themselves out after planting. Here is some good info on roots on this site to give you some advise. https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/common-root-defects.shtml https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/container-prod.shtml

Thank you for the links....looks like some great information.... allot there to study on......so far from what Im reading....trim roots.... transplant.....then with roots being trimmed it's very important to keep the tree watered...... appreciate the info.