Sawtooth Oak Seedlings?

rukiddin

All I know is I checked mine yesterday that were planted in 17' and they are absolutely loaded this year. They've had acorns for the last 3 years but this is the first year where there's hundreds upon hundreds on the trees.

Swampster

500 planted around 2002 as part of a 3,000 oak planting. On average they grew a little faster than the other varieties that were planted and definitely started producing early - don't know that the others have produced a single acorn yet. I would probably not plant them again, or would not plant that quantity. I have now lost about 15 in the last two years to storms where they blew over. None of the other oaks or other native trees in that area fell. They are only OK for firewood when compared to a red oak. I'm thinking that they are just not a long term planting. If the planting had been better mixed I might feel differently, but it seems that they kind of grouped them together when put in the ground.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
Come fall I can get you all the acorns you want, we have a spot at UT that I have to pick up 1000's of in the fall.
When mine start dropping here at the house this year, just take a drive down to Muscle Shoals and pick up a ton of them. Wait till turkey season and take a bucket full of acorns and a hard metal rod to make a hole in the ground. Drop an acorn in the hole and step on it with your foot. I have planted thousands like this and it is the easiest way to do it.

I am not on here much, but keep me posted if you want some and I will hook you up come fall.

Chickenrig

Wildlife group in AL is where we got ours.. Turned out great. Dropping acorns like crazy. I think I also got some at a nursery in Mcminville area. Taylor Nursery maybe?
I'm an hour South of Alan at the Wildlife Group and this man can grow trees , i put a bunch of bare roots sawtooths and various other fruit trees in 3 years ago, tubed them and now they are 10-12' tall. Caint wait till they wature and produce. He ships his nit trees in the winter when they are dormant .
Good luck !!!

Carlos

If planted properly, usually only 3-4 years.
I have some that I planted about 7-8 years ago. I haven't seen any acorns on them (yet), but they're about 18ft tall, this year maybe theyll have some.

Carlos

I've seen them produce acorns when they're only head high.
I need to check them again, I don't always make it out there to look them over.
Of course they probably don't form until about August, right?

BSK

So the grow fast as well, from a height perspective?
Sawtooths are naturally a shorter oak. Even at maturity they may only be 15-20 feet tall. But they are known for producing acorns at a young age. The only oaks I know of that are shorter and produce acorns even younger is the gobbler oak, which produces small acorns highly preferred by turkey. And they are more of a shrub oak than a tree.

BigAl

Sawtooths are naturally a shorter oak. Even at maturity they may only be 15-20 feet tall. But they are known for producing acorns at a young age. The only oaks I know of that are shorter and produce acorns even younger is the gobbler oak, which produces small acorns highly preferred by turkey. And they are more of a shrub oak than a tree.
A little shorter than I thought/need. But I might have a few spaces where they'd be suitable. Thx.

rukiddin

You would be able to see them now. About the size of a pea.

Yep. Here are what mine look like as of last week.
IMG_6463.jpeg

Latest posts