Oak buds are swelling!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
We could be seeing another acorn fail in the making! I am seeing oak buds swell already. The forecast shows warmer than average temps for the next 10 days! Historically (in my experience) when Feb is this warm there is a very good chance of a hard freeze, possibly an extended 7 to 10 days of hard cold killing all the buds / blossoms that were set during the unseasonably warm weather. Red oaks should take it for the 2024 drop but the white oak family may get hit hard again.
Thoughts

BSK

This is very bad news!

Long-range models all indicate a serious warm spell over the next two weeks followed by a major cold period for the rest of March into early April.

Omega

I guess we better make sure our plots do well if the acorns fail this hunting season. This past season many didn't see the activity on their plots that prior seasons have, this will be a swing in the opposite direction.

Ski

I guess we better make sure our plots do well if the acorns fail this hunting season. This past season many didn't see the activity on their plots that prior seasons have, this will be a swing in the opposite direction.

That's what worries me. If acorns flop AND we have a dry spell like this past season, it'll be a 1-2 punch knockout for me. My plots all basically failed due to drought. Couldn't get them going. Luckily I've got lots of mature oaks so I had deer, but not sure what'll happen if both plots and acorns fail. I've been focusing on making mini clear cuts spotted strategically around the property this winter so hopefully that helps some.

Omega

That's what worries me. If acorns flop AND we have a dry spell like this past season, it'll be a 1-2 punch knockout for me. My plots all basically failed due to drought. Couldn't get them going. Luckily I've got lots of mature oaks so I had deer, but not sure what'll happen if both plots and acorns fail. I've been focusing on making mini clear cuts spotted strategically around the property this winter so hopefully that helps some.
The area I plant has had decent moisture, and usually gets so much humidity that it "waters" the plot. I haven't planted one out in Hardin yet, but the area is pretty moist as far as I have seen, so maybe it will do good there too. The oaks in my area here in Montgomery are abundant, and I didn't do a plot last season so didn't have as many deer show up. This year I will be sure to get one planted in both locations because the willow oaks in Hardin are too young still and didn't see any acorns yet. I can only do minerals in Montgomery, so planning on doing mock scrapes with a dripline out in Hardin to draw them out of the fields.

Ski

I can only do minerals in Montgomery, so planning on doing mock scrapes with a dripline out in Hardin to draw them out of the fields.

Are you able to cut saplings & underbrush? I've got one permission property that is ag so I cannot plant plots or do any TSI, nothing of that sort. Minerals are about the extent of it but I can cut trails and hinge saplings inside thickets and it works wonders. So long as I'm not damaging viable timber or hindering crop production the farmer doesn't give a hoot what I do inside the strips and patches of scrub.

Omega

Are you able to cut saplings & underbrush? I've got one permission property that is ag so I cannot plant plots or do any TSI, nothing of that sort. Minerals are about the extent of it but I can cut trails and hinge saplings inside thickets and it works wonders. So long as I'm not damaging viable timber or hindering crop production the farmer doesn't give a hoot what I do inside the strips and patches of scrub.
No, the place was planted with a mix of oaks, mostly willow oaks and is under an easement which does not allow cutting of any trees except invasive types, which do not number enough to do the trick. I can clear underbrush somewhat, but there is not much honestly as the willow leaves leave a blanket that snuffs out most of it. I got an area cleared and planted grass but it did not last, the leaves killed it. I was allowed to clear some shooting lanes through the trees taking out the lower branches, which did a great job of making a good hunting area. There seems to be a bunch of deer trails though so they are there, and have seen a few when I have been working the area. It has ag fields on three sides, so am leaving the edges as they were for cover, and only working the middle, a star pattern from the stand. With only 20 acres I have to give them a reason to keep them passing through without putting too much pressure on them.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
This is very bad news!

Long-range models all indicate a serious warm spell over the next two weeks followed by a major cold period for the rest of March into early April.
I hate reading that!
A month of "major cold" , there is bound to be a big snow or ice drop in there. Easter will be cold and nasty, then it's off to the races getting everything going for spring. I hate cold weather…

BSK

I hate reading that!
A month of "major cold" , there is bound to be a big snow or ice drop in there. Easter will be cold and nasty, then it's off to the races getting everything going for spring. I hate cold weather…
Another stratospheric warming event over far northern North America is peaking right now. This usually results in a big outbreak of cold weather for the U.S. in 4-6 weeks.

Latest posts