Sawtooth Oak Seedlings?

NewGuy

Good evening. Had a State Forestry rep come out and take a look at my land. I have a pasture area that he recommended me growing some Sawtooth oak trees in there.

I'm trying to find some and I'm located in Middle Tennessee. Anyone have a place to look? Thanks!

Boone25/06

Tngovtrees had them but are planning on not selling them come next year because of them being not native. You might check with them to see if they have any leftovers. It's past the ship dates but possibly could work something out. They are cheap and pretty good trees. I have planted hundreds of them.

DoubleRidge

Agree with Boone25/06...try contacting Tngovtrees and see if they have any left or maybe they can point you in the right direction. Not sure how many your wanting to plant but bare root seedlings are going to be the most affordable option...and you can do a google search for sawtooth and find nurserys who have them already started in larger pots but the cost is going to be a factor...again, depending on how large of an area your wanting to plant....and if you cant find any to get in the ground this spring dont be discouraged....fall is also a great time to plant trees....good luck with your project.

rukiddin

I got all my sawtooths from the tn state nursery back in 2017. Mossy oak native nursery has them but this is really the wrong time of the year to be buying/planting trees. Native nursery is somewhat more expensive but everything I've ever bought from them has been excellent.

TNlandowner

In 2009, we reforested about 7 acres of old pasture using Sawtooths, Nutalls, persimmons, and crabapples. We were fortunate to have NRCS reforestation cost-share assistance that paid a lot of the expenses. We had a contractor spray the fields, then machine plant bare-root seedlings. The sawtooths started producing acorns within 7-8 years and still have large crops when my white and red oaks trees have poor years. The Nutall red oaks have not produced acorns yet. I didn't fence or protect the crabapple trees so deer ate every leaf and killed them.... The persimmons produce fruit every year now.

Antler Daddy

How far you from Wayne County?

I got a bunch a year old on in my pots that need planting. I used all I need from these.

Mother tree is at Pickwick.

I'm about 2 miles south of the state line. You want them they are free. I'm fixing to throw them out.
there you go, if nobody takes them...i would be interested...just got to make a trip home. thnaks

Bgoodman30

Wildlife group in AL is where we got ours.. Turned out great. Dropping acorns like crazy. I think I also got some at a nursery in Mcminville area. Taylor Nursery maybe?

Huntaholic

Yall have had better luck with them than I have. Ive got 3 planted here in the yard perimeter and Ive yet to see an acorn. These are at least 10 years old too. Still not much bigger than my wrist.

DoubleRidge

Friend of mine gave me a sack full of sawtooth acorn from his trees that he started from acorns he picked up while on a trip in Kentucky....he planted them in pots to start them then transplanted a few in his front yard....full sun and watered them during dry periods....in 7 to 8 years they are now 8" diameter and 18 to 20' tall and all three trees in his yard drop loads of acorns......I've direct planted 45 saw tooth acorns he gave me this spring and 15 bare root seedlings i got through a program at work.....and I have several growing in buckets to transplant in the future.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I got all my sawtooths from the tn state nursery back in 2017. Mossy oak native nursery has them but this is really the wrong time of the year to be buying/planting trees. Native nursery is somewhat more expensive but everything I've ever bought from them has been excellent.
I think @Tn_Va_Hunter bought some last year and all of them died. I bought 8 persimmon from Native last fall. They looked awesome when I got them. This spring, everyone of them is dead inside my tubes. Very disappointed.

BSK

Last Winter was hard on young seedlings.
I had several different varieties on my place just die…
I've never seen so many plants die as what occurred this last year. Brutal summer/fall drought followed by a mid-March flash-freeze and trees/shrubs are dead everywhere.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I think @Tn_Va_Hunter bought some last year and all of them died. I bought 8 persimmon from Native last fall. They looked awesome when I got them. This spring, everyone of them is dead inside my tubes. Very disappointed.
Yep. Sure did. All 12 died. I had them in 3 gallon grow buckets. Kept them in the building to keep snow and frost off. Brought them outside on warm days. Watered when soil felt dry.

My best guess is. They pump them so full of fertilizer to get them to sprout quickly. Then once they are shipped out they go down hill from there.

I honestly have had better luck buying sawtooth seedlings off eBay. I planted 5 off eBay 5 years ago. They are over 10 feet With some about 15.

Chapman

I don't remember where I read it, but the Sawtooth oak is not a long lived tree. They were planting them for wildlife and said they were strarting to die at 40 years. I would rather an oak that lived longer 100+ years. I do have 3 planted and they are growing well.

AlabamaSwamper

I grow mine one year in an old gas station drink cooler looking thing. They normally get 12"-18" tall. I then pull them and plant them at the farm in February or March. I use Tree Pro miracle tubes. Usually the 48". Most times they grow out of the tube in year one or very close. By year 5 they are busting out of the tube.

I'd say 90%+ I plant survive that way. The ones that don't is usually due to fire ants building in that tube and I don't catch it in time.

Latest posts