Fast growing oaks

diamond hunter

Plant hybrid oaks.Plant less trees and care for them more instead of massive planting and care for them less.if you keep weed control down and mow around them and plant them 35 yes 35 feet apart you will have an awesome place to hunt in 10-12 years. Sawtooth drop real early mine are dropping right now and its 85 this week.Deer will walk over a pile of corn and a pile of white oak acorns and a pile of apples and freshwheat to eat a single chestnut. Thats my experience. They drop too early too as mine are right now. Its very frustrating.

TNlandowner

Our farm is located in Carroll County (western TN). In 2009, we reforested around 7 acres of former pasture land with sawtooth and nutall oaks (red oak family). We mowed the area twice each summer for the first few years to remove over-crowding and shading of the young saplings. The sawtooth oaks began dropping acorns in 2018. These trees drop acorns in late September through mid-October. Our deer herd hammers this area until the native white oak and red oaks drop acorns. The Nutall Oaks still are not producing acorns, but we didn't expect them to drop until year 20.

So for fast acorn production: consider the sawtooths. For long-term production and timber value, consider native oaks that are already in your area.

gladesman60

Plant hybrid oaks.Plant less trees and care for them more instead of massive planting and care for them less.if you keep weed control down and mow around them and plant them 35 yes 35 feet apart you will have an awesome place to hunt in 10-12 years. Sawtooth drop real early mine are dropping right now and its 85 this week.Deer will walk over a pile of corn and a pile of white oak acorns and a pile of apples and freshwheat to eat a single chestnut. Thats my experience. They drop too early too as mine are right now. Its very frustrating.
my chestnuts are dropping now also.i saw a nursery online offering a late drop chestnut. going to order some for spring planting. it should only take about 8 years to see if there is much of a difference. lol.

Latest posts