growing Dunstan Chestnut trees

spur necklace 3

Question for you experts because I'm far from a tree expert. I have 10 acres of field that I told the farmer not to plant because I want to let it grow up and plant food plots and get some trees in the ground. Would it be ok to plant some trees now or should I wait until spring time? I want to plant several oaks that will start producing acorns. I know it will be some years down the road before they start producing so I know it's not a quick process.

Don't plant now, too hot and dry and too many weeds everywhere. I prefer to start planting the youth weekend in January and every weekend through to Turkey season. Fall planting is alright but not all of the nurseries are selling trees at that time, and have to take a day off deer or squirrel hunting. January into March grass is always shortest, don't miss any time actually hunting, not a whole lot else to do other than habitat work. Never had an issue planting any of mine at that time as long as the ground isn't frozen solid or there's not snow on the ground.

gladesman60

I believe its going to be a good crop

Attachments

• 20220713_080926.jpg
    20220713_080926.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220713_080846.jpg
    20220713_080846.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220713_080823.jpg
    20220713_080823.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 63

DoubleRidge

I never removed any of mine, cant say it hurt or helped em though. If theres just a few i would leave em. Let em mature and save the nuts to plant next spring.

I left the two burrs mentioned in previous post...checked them today and they are looking good.. being my first Chestnut trees I'm curious what are the signs I should look for before picking them to collect the nuts?..I'd like to do as suggested and save them to start next spring...do you wait for the burr to start to open slightly? Or?

Attachments

• IMG_20220903_115300426~2.jpg
    IMG_20220903_115300426~2.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 43

DoubleRidge

Another question about Chestnut trees....back in the spring there was a local free tree give away...and I was able to get two Chinese Chestnut....I planted both in buckets at home to nurse them through the summer....well one made it and one didn't......now that fall is approaching I want to transplant the one....and I do have three Dunstan Chestnut on the farm and plan to add more in the future...so my questions are:

Should I transplant the Chinese Chestnut in a completely different area away from the Dunstan? Or does it matter? Wasn't sure if there are any cross pollination concerns?

And I assume I'll need to get a couple more Chinese Chestnut for pollination?
But I'm ok to go ahead and transplant the single tree...correct?

gladesman60

Another question about Chestnut trees....back in the spring there was a local free tree give away...and I was able to get two Chinese Chestnut....I planted both in buckets at home to nurse them through the summer....well one made it and one didn't......now that fall is approaching I want to transplant the one....and I do have three Dunstan Chestnut on the farm and plan to add more in the future...so my questions are:

Should I transplant the Chinese Chestnut in a completely different area away from the Dunstan? Or does it matter? Wasn't sure if there are any cross pollination concerns?

And I assume I'll need to get a couple more Chinese Chestnut for pollination?
But I'm ok to go ahead and transplant the single tree...correct?
Dunstans are hybrids. they have Chinese in them. i have a couple chinese ones in my mix. havent had any issues with pollination. they do seem to grow slower than the dunstans is the only difference that i have seen.

gladesman60

I left the two burrs mentioned in previous post...checked them today and they are looking good.. being my first Chestnut trees I'm curious what are the signs I should look for before picking them to collect the nuts?..I'd like to do as suggested and save them to start next spring...do you wait for the burr to start to open slightly? Or?
Just let em open on their own. either the burr will fully open and the nuts will drop to the ground or the burr will partly open and the whole thing falls off.

dogtown

I planted some bareroot chestnuts from the TN Nursery in 2013. About 30 of the 50 survived thru a very dry first summer. I planted in a variety of soil moisture locations and sun levels. The trees on a field edge with most fertile soil are by far the tallest, but thus far no nuts (first blooms were this last spring). A large number of my trees were planted in marginal soil on a flat ridge that was basically a briar patch. These trees although a bit smaller have a few nuts this year. I continue to maintain this stand by cutting adjacent tree growth to lessen shading. I have a second set of bareroot trees from the TN nursery from last year that are in pots. Will plant in the next month.

I also was given seeds of purebred American Chestnuts from the NY Chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation. some two years ago and some this winter. I am moving them to the farm in late October on the other side of ridge away from the hybrids I have. I hope they take.

utvolsfan77

Of the 13 Dunstan's planted 3 years ago next month, about half are bearing nuts this year, and all 13 did survive and thriving. Picked up my first handful today. Getting ready to roast some Chestnuts. The deer will have to wait a few more days 🤣.

Wow, those look great! You mentioned that you planted the trees three years ago, so those nuts came from four- or five-year-old trees then?

13pt

Wow, those look great! You mentioned that you planted the trees three years ago, so those nuts came from four- or five-year-old trees then?
They offered both 1 and 1.5 year old. I honestly don't remember which I ordered. They were about the size of my little finger and 2 ft tall. So, they are either 4 or 4.5. They are now 10-12 ft tall and pushing 3" at the base.

Tn_Va_Hunter

They offered both 1 and 1.5 year old. I honestly don't remember which I ordered. They were about the size of my little finger and 2 ft tall. So, they are either 4 or 4.5. They are now 10-12 ft tall and pushing 3" at the base.
My 4 year old dunstan are producing this year. Not many. But each tree has a hand full on them

Latest posts