Chinquapin or Red Oak

JJBraves

I have been slowly clearing a plot out on a cedar dominant ridgetop for the past year or so when I have time and have run into a bit of a predicament. I have about 8-10 Red and Chinquapin Oaks in and surrounding the perimeter of the plot. In the center, I have a mature Red and Chinquapin that are less than 4 feet from each other resulting in their crowns to rub/ having multiple dead limbs dead due to how close they are. My question is, what species is more favorable to deer? I'm wanting to cut one so that way they aren't choked out and eventually die and/or produce poor crops for the rest of their lifetime. I always see deer on my camera up there chowing on acorns, but I can never tell which ones they are eating. Any input is appreciated.

BSK

Personally, I favor Red variety oaks over White variety oaks if the property has an abundance of White variety oaks (which is commonplace on the Highland Rim, where I do most of my work). I favor Red varieties because they are more important for feeding deer during the winter. White variety oaks are usually more preferred by deer in fall, but their acorns go to root in late fall, after which deer do not like them. Red variety oaks are less preferred in fall, but do not go to root until spring, hence deer feed on them all winter long. They are a critically important winter food source.

Chinquapins are in the White family of oaks.

JJBraves

Personally, I favor Red variety oaks over White variety oaks if the property has an abundance of White variety oaks (which is commonplace on the Highland Rim, where I do most of my work). I favor Red varieties because they are more important for feeding deer during the winter. White variety oaks are usually more preferred by deer in fall, but their acorns go to root in late fall, after which deer do not like them. Red variety oaks are less preferred in fall, but do not go to root until spring, hence deer feed on them all winter long. They are a critically important winter food source.

Chinquapins are in the White family of oaks.
On the property, we have very few white oaks. Its predominantly covered with red oaks.

BSK

Then I would favor the White varieties for a fall food source. The vast majority of muscle-mass bucks put on for the rut comes from White variety acorns eaten late September through November. Depending on rainfall, White variety acorns go to root in late November. However, they may root even earlier (early November) in a wet fall or as late as late December in a dry fall.

As for why deer stop eating them when the go to root, I don't know what chemically changes in the acorn, but have you ever tasted malt? Malt is nothing more than cereal grains (usually barley) that has been allowed to germinate (go to root) and then dried and ground up. Malt tastes VERY different than ungerminated ground barley!

TNlandowner

A "cedar dominant ridgetop" brings an assumption of shallow, acidic soil. For consideration: Red oak trees are shallow rooted, often resulting in mature trees blowing over, especially if they are isolated on ridges.

My suggestion, is to select the species that most likely will survive in that area.

JJBraves

A "cedar dominant ridgetop" brings an assumption of shallow, acidic soil. For consideration: Red oak trees are shallow rooted, often resulting in mature trees blowing over, especially if they are isolated on ridges.

My suggestion, is to select the species that most likely will survive in that area.
I like the way you think. I honestly didn't know that red oaks were a shallower rooted tree. Plus, the red oak already has a big spot on the top of the tree that looks like its rotten and dead.

MickThompson

Red oaks are also generally shorter lived than white oaks. Not saying it's a good reason to cut them, but it's a great reason to cut trash trees and use fire in that stand so someone else can enjoy oak trees in the future

Latest posts