Dozer or Trackho???

megalomaniac

What about a big forestry mulcher. They are usually at $500-$700 per acre
Not even close to ideal to use as a stump grinder... will take forever. Plus, years later after the remaining stump below dirt level rots out, you will still have to come back through with either a dozer or a bog disc to smooth out all the potholes.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

That is massive. We pulled up smaller diameter trees and some of their root balls were the size of my truck.
Took us 2-3 hours just to pop one stump up angling blade to dig around it and break roots, etc. (but again, I'm NOT an expert). I thought it would have been easier since it was cut 3-4 years prior... If if was freshly cut, it would still prob be right in the middle of my plot and I'd be working around it :) In retrospect, I'm thinking a combo of excavator digging around to bust all the roots free, then popping it out with the dozer would have been easier.

tellico4x4

One of our guys has a 450 JD, plus he's a good operator . It sure is handy but you lose quite a bit of topsoil pushing stumps with it. If a lot to clear an excavator is way to go.

Mattt

Why hasn't anyone asked what size tree stumps these are? Can make a huge decision on what I would getU said hardwood cut. Tells me all I need to know. They didn't come out for two acres so it's substantial. After that doesn't matter. Something in the range of a 318 cat trackhoe needs to go first. Then at a very minimum d-5. Can it be done with smaller equipment? Sure. Will it be cost effective? No. I can get pretty much anything out of the ground with a 450 dozer but it's gonna take time. As far as the hoe goes yes you can dig and backfill pretty decent but in 6 months it'll be so rough you won't want to drive over it. Hence the dozer to clip and smooth. Only money saver I k is is if you have a tractor and a heavy duty scrape about 3 rains after the trackhoe leaves start dragging with the rippers down. Probably take 5-6 passes over a few months to turn it into something you wanna drive across. Ask me how I know. Doing it for the third time on my place and done it multiple times on my little side gig. In the long run it is considerably cheaper to push the trees and burn/bury than it is to log them clean it up.

DoubleRidge

Reading this thread I can't help but think of the first settlers, imagining how they cleared ground. Man work 🥵
Years ago we lived in an old farm house that was on a 10 or 12 acre field...the older lady who owned the land said her father, uncle and grandfather cleared the land with cross cut saws and mules. They worked for years clearing the land.

ttf909

I just need roads built. Not great roads. Not roads you can drive a car on. Just ATV/UTV roads that won't wash out in the first heavy rain. But ever dozer operator/owner I contact is too busy leveling new home sites. And I don't blame them. Home sites are a lot easier and easier on equipment than building roads cross country through steep ridge-and-hollow terrain.
The guy that clears land for me uses the danuser intimidator for road clearing and works circles around the other guys with excavator and regular bucket skidsteer .

Acorn Goat

I'd dig them up and leave them laying next to the hole so when the dirt in the stump dries out you can shake it loose and pile stimps up to dry and burn them. What part of town are you located

double browtine

I think a trackhoe or backhoe is your best bet. I have a case 450c dozer and it takes a while to dig around a tree and push it over. The hardest tree you'll ever try to push over is a sweetgum! I had one that was 24" diameter at the ground. I dug around it 4' deep and cut all the side roots. Piled all the dirt up and made a ramp to drive up. With my blade raised all the up, and tilted with the bottom point of the blade at about 14 ft up on the trunk, I finally pushed it enough for it to fall over. I can't imagine trying to push out stumps with only a few feet out of the ground. It would take a D6 and lots of digging all the way around it!

Latest posts