Suggested Salt Lick or Mineral Block for SETN?

TNBillyEarl

I tried this 3 springs ago in 2 spots. One spot never had the first bit of interest. The second spot was torn up one year later; nothing the first year. And I can't remember what I used. Any suggestions for putting something out this spring? Hardwoods, ~200 acres.

Billy Earl

DoubleRidge

Verses regular salt blocks I've had better luck with trophy rock....once they find it they will use it....use them on multiple camera sites.....never used the crushed version but may try it in the future.

JCDEERMAN

I used to go all out with TR and Whitetail Institute's 30-06 mineral in each of my 6 licks, but one year I was low on funds and just did regular trace mineral instead. Couldn't tell a difference between that year and any other year. I now just use trace mineral.

Hunter 257W

Find a good spot, with some cover fairly close to a deer trail if you can, and put out the cheapest salt you can find. All the mineral deer mixes have salt added so deer will eat the mix. If all you care about is attracting deer, a bag of plain salt is the cheapest option.

For a good mineral mix, the Evolved Habitats "Rack Up" has the best mix of minerals with just enough salt thrown in to get deer to eat it. OF course you'll never know how much the deer may have benefited from the stuff but if you don't mind spending a few $'s to get any little improvement possible you might consider it. I've used it a lot in the past but the last few years have bought a salt mineral mix made up by the local CO-OP. Deer use both about the same. Again there is no way to ever measure any difference in improved health for the deer.

Hunter 257W

I just recalled that I started a new lick about 15 years ago using several 50 lb salt blocks for cattle. I dug a hole deep enough that only the top few inches of the blocks stuck out the top then filled the dirt back around the blocks but left a lot of the tops showing. That establishes a lot of salt deep into the soil for a new lick. It worked.

Latest posts